• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free Aim comfirmed?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/09/k...e-aims-to-design-gamings-most-realistic-guns/

Gibson gets even more excited about KF2's new gun technology when he talks about weapon accuracy and recoil. Most games, he explains, represent accuracy with a bullet spread. Less accurate guns will have a wider spread on their bullets, so planting your crosshair dead center on a target doesn't guarantee a hit. "We wanted to actually have the gun physically move instead of having some magic number that you tweak that makes the bullets go in random directions. The gun's accurate; if you can manage to keep your sights on an enemy, you will hit it. The crosshair's just moving around, but wherever that crosshair is, that's where the bullet's actually going."

Does this mean the guns have some degree of free aim like in RO?

Also... crosshairs? ><

Last edited:
I imagine the character will be trying to keep the aim at the center of the screen, unlike with RO where you swing it all over the place. He won't be perfectly successful due to movement/recoil/etc, though, and you'll be able to see that the gun is, for example, swayed to the left, and that will correlate, and the point of impact will be to the left if you fire at that moment.

A noticeable example of KF1 lacking this is the 44 magnums. You fire, the recoil moves the screen, and on top of that, you can see that the gun flips like 40 degrees upward away from the center of the screen. However, if you fire at that moment, the point of impact will not be where the gun is pointing, it will be towards the center of the (just-moved) screen, with some random inaccuracy.

As for "crosshair", I don't know. Maybe they're referring to the weapons' sights in general, but using an overly specific term? Or I suppose it's possible that they actually are giving us a crosshair for hipfire, but I doubt that and hope against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for "crosshair", I don't know. Maybe they're referring to the weapons' sights in general, but using an overly specific term? Or I suppose it's possible that they actually are giving us a crosshair for hipfire, but I doubt that and hope against it.
I believe it's like RO, just minus the free aim. The gun does have a specific point of impact, but it's based on where your gun is pointing so you just have to eyeball it.
Basicly an invisible dynamic crosshair with no spread.

Upvote 0
Wassat?
Like when zeds get too close and you juss gotta hose em down? :eek:

No, a deadzone liiike, when aiming down the sight you can move the sights around in a small radius without moving the camera, but when you push outside of that invisible radius, the camera moves with your gun.

Basically what RO2 does, minus the way it handles hipfiring.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Personally, I am not too sure id like free aim too much. My reasoning is I like when my full view moves proportionally where I am aiming in really close range combat. It helps me maintains 360 awareness. I don't like getting jumped by specimens.

But if it was a server option, who am I to complain? I am all for the guns shooting exactly where they are aiming though. I hated how in payday 1 if you shot the bronco it would be aiming at the roof but still shot towards your crosshair if you shot it again while its still recoiling.

Upvote 0