• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For the tread-heads: tanks explained?

sorry, i don't know much about tanks here so humour me a little, but what would be the purpose of having an AT rifle that can't penetrate tank armour?

Because not only was it still useful against light vehicles, but it could tear infantry to pieces through virtually any kind of cover! It was widely used as an Anti-material rifle.

Also I imagine it was a seriously terrifying weapon to have fired at you.

Upvote 0
Because not only was it still useful against light vehicles, but it could tear infantry to pieces through virtually any kind of cover! It was widely used as an Anti-material rifle.

Also I imagine it was a seriously terrifying weapon to have fired at you.

and there are other light vehicles and light tanks they may be useful against.

Upvote 0
I could not really figure out from the wall of text; Is tanking after the new patch still going to be the same Gumrak-fights with sponge-sponge shooting with the same 2 tanks?

For the most part, yes. It comes down to "probability" of a round actually penetrating.

From the Wiki said:
A thing that most people don't realize about armor penetration is that it is all probabilistic at the core. People rush off and hunt down "penetration tables", but they need to go back to the actual data measurements to understand what is going on. For instance, the Germans look for the "limit velocity" at which 3 out of 5 (or 5 out of 7, depending on caliber) rounds penetrate a test plate. They then took that number and created all those nice penetration tables from them, not the other way around! They do that to give their gunners a ready-reference guide, but it is NOT absolute.
For simplicity, Tripwire generates a Penetration:Resistance ratio and plot the results as a bell curve. Anything below a certain point as an "undermatch", which will never penetrate and any result above a certain point as an "overmatch" which will always penetrate. Anything in between will generate a PROBABILTY that the round will penetrate - and compare to a random number for those cases. Probability theory at work. It is NOT absolute - even in German testing, they were looking for the point where the "majority" of rounds penetrate.

Upvote 0
1. Ballistics
Basically, the game uses the same form of ballistics calculations for large projectiles as...................lots of words.............................the ammo storage in the hull floor. Pretty much the same for the Pz IV, aiming for the main fuel tank (gasoline, more likely to brew it)

Can someone summarise this with a pie chart please! :D

Do I just and the back of the tank like normal?

Upvote 0
So, regarding armor vision slits. Can infantry (in RO2) fire through the vision slits and wound/kill the occupants??

I was fortunate (unfortunate?) enough on one specific occasion to be standing right next to an axis tank with no infantry support. I kept shooting into the armor vision slits with my SMG...I could hear enemy inside screaming and being supressed, but clip after clip into the MG and hull armor slits did not result in a casualty/kill. Even if I did kill a component live player in a tank, would it show up or does one need to kill the entire tank to show a "kill"?

PS I was hoping that even if the occupants weren't looking through the slits, that my bullets would ricochet about inside and kill them (ya know, like that scene in Indiana Jones) :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Interesting read, thanks. I'm eagerly waiting to updates with the main focus on tanks. I think everyone agrees that part needs some work in the future.

Originally i was hooked to RO1 because of tank combat. There was even a mod called armored beasts that gave more depth like separate hull and turret hitbox. The improved mechanics in RO2 is a big step forward, just needs more content :D.

My only concern is the new silly instant change of ammo types (not so realistic) and the lack of voices like "tank in front", "tank to your left" and the rest from RO1. Maybe more variety to sound effects like shooting, but it's not that important. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
So, regarding armor vision slits. Can infantry (in RO2) fire through the vision slits and wound/kill the occupants??
Not usually, no. The Germans put 3 inches (from memory) of armored glass behind their vision slits - the Russian ones are just very thin slits. Anti-tank round should be another matter. Has to be a good shot, of course...

Upvote 0
Finally! Thank you so much for all those infos, i'm gonna put them in the "Tank thread" :D (but firstly i've to finish to read them U.U)

About vision slits, when i close them in the Pz IV (driver one) if i switch to another crew member then the slit is opened again if i switch back to the driver! :eek:

Can't you make everything in the tanks "stable"? I mean, please make that things do not change until i decide to change them manually

Upvote 0
Not usually, no. The Germans put 3 inches (from memory) of armored glass behind their vision slits - the Russian ones are just very thin slits. Anti-tank round should be another matter. Has to be a good shot, of course...

On another complete tangent would you ever consider toning down the "rocking" of a tank when it fires its main gun? It seems a little bit excessive that the firing of a 75mm gun on normal terrain with a tank of a reasonable weight would produce so much movement.

Linked because it is relevant: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57154

Last edited:
Upvote 0