• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Fog

AXEL

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2008
How in the hell do I add fog to certain parts of my level? Would I use a sprite emitter and a volume to inhibit its range or what? This question may have been asked before (and may be in those mappers FAQ but 26+ pages is a hay for one little needle) but I can't find the answer.

I think you mean distance fog

open the properties of your ZoneInfo actor there you can set the view distance and the fog color.

(The easiest way would be to open a map that has the values ,aka fog color, you want to use for your map and you simply copy these values over)

ok so would i use distance fog that kicks in at a very low limit but have the zoneinfo for the distance fog constrained to a certain volume of where I want the fog to be?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well i've already tried it per specs of the unrealwiki. I thought I'd have more luck using the volume fog, but I couldn't see the fog in the volume until i entered the volume, then EVERYTHING was covered in a very close distance fog, not the desired effect. I guess the desired type of fog is impossible with this edition of Ureal. :(

Upvote 0
So you want a fog that is visible from outside?

You'll have to use emitters for that. I suggest you only use emitters on the edge of where you want the fog to be and in the middle you switch over to volume fog. That way it looks foggy from the outside and once you enter it it looks foggy too but you can save a bit of emitters in the middle.

Splinter Cell 1 had a slaughterhouse with thick fog that worked like the fog you want to achieve. It looked like a combination of emitters and volume fog but it looked really really good. Maybe they added that functionality into their warfare engine. *shrugs*

Upvote 0