• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Flickering Dynamic Shadows [IMPORTANT]

KillMaster

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Category: Render Engine
Reproducibility: Always

This has been a persistent problem ever since the Preview build for the "Bulls-Eye" content pack update. (On both OFFICIAL & COMMUNITY maps)

I have been able to reproduce this on multiple machines and multiple GPU's (GTX 860M *1024Core Variant*, GTX 670, GTX 780, GTX 780Ti, and a GTX Titan)
The following GIF's were taken using a GTX 780Ti @ Stock Clocks & Stock VGA BIOS.

Note these are 60 FPS GIF's as the flickering is quite fast.

Deck 17 (Community Map)
Biotics Lab (Official Map)
Description:
As you can see when in the Editor Viewport all Dynamic shadows appear without issue, however when in "PIE" the shadows flicker in and out of existence, and when in-game they disappear altogether.

Hopefully this issue is addressed sooner rather than later as it can be very frustrating (especially as a mapper) when a feature like this doesn't work.

Last edited:
Thank you KillMaster for posting this.

I've also tested this on multiple computers and they all have the same issue.

I would also like to add that the player death tune plays every time you exit out of PIE. I've also had it play before when I tried exiting out of SDK without trying to save.

I fully agree with KillMaster that it's very frustrating sometimes as a mapper.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

Upvote 0
Good day!

Out of curiosity when you build lights with dynamic shadows, do you have the option "Check Shadow Occlusion (TW)" checked?

thanks!

Yes I do, although I'm not 100% sure of what it does. :p
My best guess is that it has to do with how the renderer calculates what areas should be occluded by a dynamic shadow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah! I talked with a level designer and he said that it's best to not have that checked. He told me that it can cause issues with shadows if you don't have them setup for that option. Unfortunately, it sounds like unchecking it doesn't fix the problem. We'll look into this and see about getting it fixed :)

Thanks HyperSniper, I'll also add that this is also happening in the official maps as well (KillMaster also mentioned this in the first post). Plus when you exit out of PIE in the editor, it plays the tune you get when a player dies in multiplayer or when you die in VS as a ZED.

I can also confirm that this bug is also happening on all the computers in my house as well (this was the same for KillMaster).

Thank you guys as always for your hard work. I look forward to a response :D

Upvote 0
Is this issue still being looked into? Update 1038 is live and unfortunately the problem is still happening. I've done a few things such as verifying both the game and SDK. I've also deleted and re-downloaded both the SDK and the game, but no luck. I will check other computers to see if they still have the bug as well.

Upvote 0
SpoolsOfWar;n2264854 said:
Glad I'm not the only one having this issue, it's been driving me nuts.

Any ETA on a fix for this, it's kind of a biggie.

(Also, my first post on the forum, shame it's in the bug section of all places!)

As of me posting this reply this is still an issue and has been since the Opt-In beta for the Sharpshooter update.
You’ll notice that on of the TW Q&A team took note of the issue however I have no idea as to whether or not any progress had been made towards a fix for the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
KillMaster;n2264856 said:
As of me posting this reply this is still an issue and has been since the Opt-In beta for the Sharpshooter update.
You’ll notice that on of the TW Q&A team took note of the issue however I have no idea as to whether or not any progress had been made towards a fix for the problem.

Indeed indeed. It's been a month since they chimed in so let's hope us bumping this will get some attention.

Upvote 0