• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flashback to RO:CA v3.0 (Trailer)

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
While you guys wait for RO2, wanna see some old skool stuff?

Red Orchestra v3.0: Combined Arms Trailer [High]
http://www.fileplanet.com/144672/140000/fileinfo/Red-Orchestra-v3.0:-Combined-Arms-Trailer-[High]

^ This was the Mod that made Tripwire what it is today, ala Epic's Mod contest that year, which they won.

Keep in mind this is the early version. The last version of this mod was v3.3 when many things were fixed up.

I'm downloading the video now, and haven't seen it since it first came out, so this should be interesting, lol.

Reactions: PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN
Is it bad that I still recognise most of those maps just from the snippets that they showed? Jucha, Donets, Kharkov, old Danzig, Ponyri, old Hedgehog... and of course thinking about those reminds me of so many other greats like Berlin, Tractor Factory, Spartakovka, Moscow Highway and more that I can picture but not name. The memories... back when getting killed made me go "I deserved that, this game is awesome" as opposed to now where it's "&@#*%$@*!!!!!!"

Upvote 0
Comments were funny. I like the guy complaining about the mod (in 2010), saying it's so unrealistic, since you can't reload any MG. Guess he didn't try deploying.

There was another comment from another guy complaining about how the mod was the crappiest WWII game they ever played, yet loved RO1 :confused:

Besides a few tweaks, additions, graphics, and improvements, they were almost the same thing.

And before RO:CA, the only WWII games to choose from were Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Day of Defeat, BF 1942 and Return to Castle Woldenstein..... bleck.

All arcady crap in comparison..... and RO:CA was just a mod, yet had a huge following... well, minus DoD... that was originally a mod too, but still a fraction of what RO was.

Is it bad that I still recognise most of those maps just from the snippets that they showed? Jucha, Donets, Kharkov, old Danzig, Ponyri, old Hedgehog... and of course thinking about those reminds me of so many other greats like Berlin, Tractor Factory, Spartakovka, Moscow Highway and more that I can picture but not name. The memories... back when getting killed made me go "I deserved that, this game is awesome" as opposed to now where it's "&@#*%$@*!!!!!!"

I keep bringing up Karlovka.... there was just so much to do in that map and so many various tactics that could be applied, not to mention just about every single feature RO offered at the time was in that map.... it was so perfectly designed that if you wanted to actually win the round, you seriously needed team work.

The Russians could hold Bridges 1 & 2 and the House easily if the Germans weren't working together, but at the same time, the Germans just needed to take out the road blocks at Bridge 2 and flank the house and they could easily roll over the Russians the rest of the way.

I can't even describe the pleasure I got from taking a T34 to defend the House and B1, having all the german tanks take shots at me but couldn't do anything because of how I angled my tank, and then they'd all rage when I one-hit-wondered them..... until someone smart on their team called in some Arty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mormegil
Upvote 0
Haha! I saw ralfst3r :-D

yeah a few tk's there.

i first played a mod version before this - probably it's predecessor it was before vehicles anyway, and when you needed more than one person in capzone.

I would love to see some of the old menu and loading screens (like the map) again, phaps someone could post some?

is there a version history or even better can someone outline the main things that were introduced in each version and the maps?
It would make interesting reading.
It's nice to reminisce just before Hos' release, might even dig up my old spawn zombie pictures for old time's sake.

Upvote 0
Certainly brought back some memories.

One early map I loved was where the German side were in a trench with the Russians attacking. I know a lot of people did not like it but that sense of satisfaction you got when you did make it to the trench was enormous.

Recently I have also seen a few of the old names on servers and in the forums - that is really nice to see.

I used to keep everything RO related but then my hard drive space got squeezed a few years back so older stuff had to go - regret deleting some of the stuff but here, for those that want a reminder of the map names is my RO mod folder

Attachments

• ROFolder.jpg
    ROFolder.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Capt.Marion
Upvote 0
I watched this again recently as well. I remember being so excited when I first watched this trailer, and when I first heard they were adding vehicles. I can't really remember most of the maps. Mostly just Berlin and Moscow Highway. I have the vaguest of memories of Hedgehog I think. Oh yeah, did Warsaw ever get ported?

Upvote 0
I remember the amazement and excitement when Submarina was released. Then we played it.

It's nice to see that list of maps, but I'm afraid I don't remember what some of them looked like, such as Ambush and Karpaty. The names are familiar, but no images are coming to my mind.

Ambush got ported I believe. IIRC it is the one with the big bridge and a canyon/River below it.

Upvote 0
My video players can't play the file from OP....

Try installing VLC Media Player..... I used to use Nero Showtime, Windows Media Player and Divx Player, but VCL Media Player seems to have almost all the codecs you need, runs videos very smoothly and just plain better..... not to mention isn't a very big download.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

In regards to Map images, here's what I found online:

Berlin:
12436.jpg

Karlovka:
Karlovka1.jpg

Can't find any others at the moment.

I just found another PDF online about the mod, which includes images some have been asking for:
http://www.simhq.com/_land/PDF/fps_012print.pdf

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0