• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flak 88's

Nagels

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006
West Cork, Ireland
Any chance of these being included in an update or on a map?

As anti tank they were used extensively, was playing Gorlitz and thought one of these on the map would add to the general historic scenario and accuracy thereof.

Fausts and 88's were the mainstay of German defence in the closing days of the war.

My dream is a Krivoi Rog type map w/ a battery of operational Flak 88's... that is my dream... :rolleyes:

x2
They will require a large map because range is their strength. On smaller maps they would be just large targets that get destroyed after the first shot.

BTW, I've read the 88s (FlaKs, nots sure about PAK) had a semiautomatic breech and therefore pretty fast rate of fire. Was the semiautomatic breech removed and manual installed instead in the modification that was mounted on Tiger? Because in the game Tigers cannon is slow as hell. Is this just balancing or is it realistic?

Upvote 0
Wasn't it the Tiger tank that used the 88?, just thinking it wouldn't be overly difficuilt to modify to a flak 88 seeing as it's coded already.

Then again maybe it's not as easy as hey presto:confused:

Just to say again what moe said it doesnt matter if the tiger used the 88 it wud still require a new model, texture rig and animation to get in game, then the code wud have to be heavily modified to make it a static gun...its not as simple as just going into the sdk and "cutting the gun from the tiger" and hey presto you got an 88

Upvote 0
Actually, it would have to be a whole new vehical (yes vehical, the code needed to opperate such a thing is the vehical code, just without the moving around stuff), making it would really be no easier than making a whole new tank for instance, perhabs even harder to animate, since you can see the whole gun as it fires, you would want to animate the whole process, even reloading, or it would just look unfinished.

And then the Ruskies will need their 85mm to balance, also because the Russians where infamous for filding many AT guns! more so than the Germans.

Upvote 0
Actually, it would have to be a whole new vehical (yes vehical, the code needed to opperate such a thing is the vehical code, just without the moving around stuff), making it would really be no easier than making a whole new tank for instance, perhabs even harder to animate, since you can see the whole gun as it fires, you would want to animate the whole process, even reloading, or it would just look unfinished.

And then the Ruskies will need their 85mm to balance, also because the Russians where infamous for filding many AT guns! more so than the Germans.

in how far would an 88 require reload animations and similar to look finished while the AT guns dont? In how far is new code needed? And no, default properties is not code.
And please stop the "OMG its so hard to do this or that" talk, it's work, ok, it might take some time, but its not rocket science. People are plain lazy...

Upvote 0
BTW, I've read the 88s (FlaKs, nots sure about PAK) had a semiautomatic breech and therefore pretty fast rate of fire. Was the semiautomatic breech removed and manual installed instead in the modification that was mounted on Tiger? Because in the game Tigers cannon is slow as hell. Is this just balancing or is it realistic?
Is it realistic? It depends on who you ask :D

Semi-automatic breech blocks weren't new and had been around since the early Thirties at least. Youll find them in most (if not all) German guns of 50mm and greater.

The RO:OOST re-load speeds are supposed to be an average speed, removing the variations caused out the shells being spread over different locations with the AFV.

An 88mm shell, for the KwK36 was about a meter long. The projectile weighed about 10Kg, and I believe the entire shell weighed about 20Kg, so making it pretty much end heavy. You could get a greater rate of fire from a Pak or Flak gun than from a tank for various reasons. Such as multiple people helping, easier to reach ammunition and being able to stand behind the breach. A Tiger's turret was a far more crampled affair. Have a watch of this to get an idea of the space available.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xFzlZbfpQUo

Not being able to stand behind the breech, and getting your body behind it must have been a lot easier than standing next to the breech. There is a clip on YouTube (that I can't find at the moment) of a T-55 / T-54 that's been converted to be a (poor) Tiger. It shows the turret space quite well, and although the guys are acting very badly, it's an indication of conditions with a Tiger's turret.

Upvote 0
in how far would an 88 require reload animations and similar to look finished while the AT guns dont?

Any AT gun would need it, or it will look like the little plastic soldier figures we had as kids, just standing there with a mortar (my plastic men allways came with a mortar, not an 88), and every now and then it would go boom.
To look finished and real, you would need some anims so it looks like the people are doing something with the gun.

In how far is new code needed? And no, default properties is not code.
And please stop the "OMG its so hard to do this or that" talk, it's work, ok, it might take some time, but its not rocket science. People are plain lazy...

I figure we have one content update left with RO, at best, then its going to be game over man, and TWI will start full speed on the next game.
And if im right about that, does it really seem likely that they would spend time on this? nope, not really, it would be nice, but i dont think its in the cards.

As for it beeing "not rocket science" and us just beeing "lazy".. go put your modding talents where your mouth is, model, skin, animate and code us an 88 and an 85, have them on my desk by next friday!

I dont know if you just rolled in on the 4 o'clock turnip truck, but this community has all of zero avalible modding talent, very few people here have any skills, and thouse few have long since been hired by the big mods, and are more than occupied working on thouse.

That leaves just a few scattered coding newbies like me, and i sure as hell wouldent even know where to start, and i cant think of anyone else who could who also has the time to do it, nor the will (lets face it, this communty is not very mod freindly..), i cant think of any avalible modellers, animators or texture guys either.

So if you really have the goods, feel more than welcome to bring it! we could use some AT guns, if not, its all just more empty talk..

Upvote 0