• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire type 91 grenades with the knee mortar

The Univermag's ghost

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
Italy
From wikipedia "type 91 grenade"

"As part of this concept, the Japanese Army had adopted by 1932 a set of fragmentation grenades with almost universal adaptibility. The Type 91 fragmentation grenade could be thrown by hand, fired from a rifle via a spigot-type launcher, or used in a mortar-like grenade discharger, the Type 89"

And , from the italian wikipedia:

"Altro tipo di granata impiegabile era la Type 91 normalmente in dotazione alla fanteria, con spoletta ritardata a sette secondi attivata dopo il lancio"

"(apart from the type 89 he shell)Another type of shell was the type 91, used also by infantry, with a longer fuse of seven seconds after the launch (not after the removing of the safety pin)"

In RS, only the mortarman has 2 type91s... maybe the devs had already tought something similar.
It can bring new tactics to use the knee mortar (the nade can bounce and roll, for 7-8 seconds... just imagine what you can do with it...:rolleyes:)
Would it be easy to mod? we have already the type91 model, collision model, and the animation of removing the safety pin (type 89 HE shell) can be reused...:rolleyes:

What do you think, a good idea or a useless one?
EDIT:pS sorry for my english

Last edited:
The knee mortar really has room for expansion; giving the knee mortar a single smoke round (accessed by pressing '6') could really add a bit of a freshness to the role, as well as help the team. Strategically placed smoke can make be incredibly helpful to the team.
You beat me to it. 1x smoke +2 type 91's seems like it would be sweet. They can even be added as unlocks since the knee mortar has none, as is. It would also limit the amount of smoke and type 91's in the field, since generally less people will have the "select grade" and "standard issue" mortars than the standard "well used" one. It could possibly get a little hectic with 4 mortar players all with 1x smoke nade, +the TL and SL's with smoke. It could make for a bit of a smoke spam fest in certain cases. By limiting the nade 'upgrades' to higher level Mortar players it would not only reduce the number of 'special' nades, and hopefully the likeliness of spam, but, it would ensure that only experienced players would be able to use them.
It would kind of suck having noobs/trolls direct their smoke nades in the wrong places which could potentially hurt the friendly team and help the enemy.

Upvote 0
You sure about that? I've found sites on google mentioning the knee mortar's smoke shells
Didn't know about that...good!
PS: can you give me some links, so I can read more about this?

Anyway, something that can help the underpowered jap team in the campaign and in normal matches.
I'll try ask how to mod it in the modding discussion, i'm a complete newbie with the SDK, but trying may be worth. (hope it's correct english)

Upvote 0
Here is my wishlist for the knee mortar.

It should actually mostly be viewed as standarizing the weapon so other low velocity HE(AT) (zooks, fausts, 51 mm german/russian mortars, 60 mm US mortar, rifle grenades) could be added without raising consistency issues.

======

Limit base mortar slots to 3 and place them in a single base mortar squad (64 players: 1SL, 3Mtr, 3 riflemen).

Allow mortarmen to see TL and their own SL arty marker on map and on tactical overlay.

Allow resupply of mortarmen by teammates.

Give optional load out. Mortarman chooses either 50 mm HE (as current graphics indicate ingame) OR type 91 grenade with propellant charge.

Reduce number of 50 mm HE to 4 (as per historical carry bag). Type 91 at 6 (as per historical carry bag). Adjust encumbrance.

Increase duration of animation with teeth removing safety pin on 50 mm HE. This to slow rate of fire for this munition in addition to authenticity.

Type 91 is self-priming when used in mortar. It is however fuze delayed (7-8 seconds). Allow type 91 to bounce and remain rendered until time detonated. Variant - impale itself in ground if it hits boobytrap terrain.

Increase lethal radius of 50 mm HE slightly (it should be viewed as a concussion explosive similar in type to the German handgrenade, but scaled due to greater HE content). Keep 91 lethal radius equal to that of type 91 hand grenade (fragmentation device)

Allow for adhoc fire for type 91 as per today. Limit type 50 mm HE to to 45 degree fire only (free recoil justification).

Give 91 existing game range profile. Give type 50 mm HE 150-650 m

Give both types random distribution as a function of true flight time (not distance travelled).

Allow mappers to provide 1xillumination round OR 1xsmoke round in lieu of 1 50 mm HE in load out (though most times weapon should be limited to the 4 HE or 6 type 91).

Increase cool down for most japanese offboard artillery on official maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0