• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK: Unmasking the Scrake!

It's time to unmask your next nightmare: The Scrake!

Watch master sculptor Sculpture_Geek bring every bone-chilling detail to life in this exclusive first-look

I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 257 featured items
I wonder what kinds of tricks is this version of scrake is hiding now that we know that the cyst is able to blind mercs. Also like the whole comically large chainsaw that the scrake has to drag across the floor now. Not to mention the mask reminds of Uber Jason from Jason X. The whole design of the zeds so far for this game gives cyberpunk vibes with the whole cybernetics enhancements and flesh fusion. I really look forward to the rest of the zeds designs, especially the husk and siren.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
I cannot say thus far if I like that version of the Scrake more so than the KF (2009) version, as I'm also fond of mad surgeons... But the one thing KF2's design truly got right was definitely to make the Scrake a proper tank, like the Fleshpound. Bigger, meaner, scarier... Something the very human-like Scrake of yore was desperately lacking. Plus, the amalgamation of flesh, metal and tech truly does seem to be the direction KF3 is taking, so at least it sounds very fitting indeed!

And I fully agree with @Glokage : its chainsaw is more terrifying than ever, way too ginormous to be held by a mere human ! The Uber Jason comparison is also spot-on. Can't wait to **** my pants the first time I'll see the new Scrake in game.

And much praise towards the fabulous craftmanship of Sculpture_Geek ! I doubt it's ever gonna happen considering how time consuming it must be, but I'd love to have such a bust on my desk :D

Upvote 0
I've watched the video again, and came to two theories regarding what the new Scrake abilities might be... As I believe, again as Glokage said, that all zeds will get new tools. Hell, even the modest Cyst is more fearsome now ! I would be surprised if the Scrake stayed the same. So here are my two cents that might be completely wrong.

1) Maybe the Scrake won't rage simply by reaching a certain health threshold anymore, but rather be linked to its mask. My theory is that as long as you fire centermass, the Scrake won't rage out, making the creature easier to dispatch... but way more ammo-consuming. Maybe the Scrake could have a thick hide that reduces all incoming damage by a certain amount (let's say 20-25% for example), so firing at its torso or limbs would take forever to kill it. But at least, it shall remain calm in the meantime. If you want to quickly dispatch a Scrake, the usual strategy applies : AIM FOR THE HEAD! Doing so will allow much more damage to be dealt, at the exchange of destroying its mask... and making the zed much faster and angrier. In the end, it sounds fairly similar to the relationship between Fleshpound and Scrake that we've always known : you can't run away forever from a Fleshpound. They'll always end up angry and ready to turn you into minced meat. Meanwhile, Scrake are somewhat "docile" until you're truly ready to take them out. It's just that this time around, you might even choose to NOT rage them at all... At the cost of wasting a ton of ammo for extra safety. While you might instead want to get rid of them ASAP, at the cost of facing a tougher foe.

2) It's easy to notice the Scrake now has some weird torture device thingy on its other arm... And I do wonder if they took a cue from the concept arts for KF2's Scrake, which had a hook in its second hand. I do wonder if MAYBE, that might imply that the Scrake is now capable of "tethering" a player in order to bring them closer, kinda like the EDAR Trapper... But even more annoying and terrifying. I think this would play very well with the mask/maskless Scrake idea I talk about right above. Maybe it could be used even WITH THE MASK ON, so players don't forget that the Scrake is still there, relentlessly walking towards them. But then again, considering how NOBODY liked the EDARs, I believe that idea would be quite unpopular as well... Maybe the range could be very short? And it's fairly easy to break from it before getting shredded to pieces, unless you're caught in the middle of a reload?

I've watched the video again, and came to two theories regarding what the new Scrake abilities might be... As I believe, again as Glokage said, that all zeds will get new tools. Hell, even the modest Cyst is more fearsome now ! I would be surprised if the Scrake stayed the same. So here are my two cents that might be completely wrong.

1) Maybe the Scrake won't rage simply by reaching a certain health threshold anymore, but rather be linked to its mask. My theory is that as long as you fire centermass, the Scrake won't rage out, making the creature easier to dispatch... but way more ammo-consuming. Maybe the Scrake could have a thick hide that reduces all incoming damage by a certain amount (let's say 20-25% for example), so firing at its torso or limbs would take forever to kill it. But at least, it shall remain calm in the meantime. If you want to quickly dispatch a Scrake, the usual strategy applies : AIM FOR THE HEAD! Doing so will allow much more damage to be dealt, at the exchange of destroying its mask... and making the zed much faster and angrier. In the end, it sounds fairly similar to the relationship between Fleshpound and Scrake that we've always known : you can't run away forever from a Fleshpound. They'll always end up angry and ready to turn you into minced meat. Meanwhile, Scrake are somewhat "docile" until you're truly ready to take them out. It's just that this time around, you might even choose to NOT rage them at all... At the cost of wasting a ton of ammo for extra safety. While you might instead want to get rid of them ASAP, at the cost of facing a tougher foe.

2) It's easy to notice the Scrake now has some weird torture device thingy on its other arm... And I do wonder if they took a cue from the concept arts for KF2's Scrake, which had a hook in its second hand. I do wonder if MAYBE, that might imply that the Scrake is now capable of "tethering" a player in order to bring them closer, kinda like the EDAR Trapper... But even more annoying and terrifying. I think this would play very well with the mask/maskless Scrake idea I talk about right above. Maybe it could be used even WITH THE MASK ON, so players don't forget that the Scrake is still there, relentlessly walking towards them. But then again, considering how NOBODY liked the EDARs, I believe that idea would be quite unpopular as well... Maybe the range could be very short? And it's fairly easy to break from it before getting shredded to pieces, unless you're caught in the middle of a reload?

Looking at your second point in terms of the possibility of the Scrake being able to tether a player with his new claw arm and the similarities with KF2's concept art, I'd like to point out that while approaching you at a distance the Scrake does indeed "aim" his claw out in your direction, which seems like it'd be a bit random if it was for nothing.
It certainly looks like it's designed to close and grip a merc in place while they either (crush them?) or cut them up with their chainsaw

Attachments

• 5.gif
    5.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Scrake Claw.png
    Scrake Claw.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0