• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy Movement Sounds

defektive

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
UK
Are the enemy meant to be silent? Many, many times I've been picked off by someone right behind me or off to one side that I didn't hear coming, even when its quiet. Enemy run past me but their footfalls make no sound at all, so unless I see them for all intents and purposes they're not there. I hear them when they interact with an object, such as the 'wooden' sound near furniture and breaking glass, but enemy are otherwise silent. The odd thing is that I hear the footfalls of my comrades loudly and clearly, in all areas; even when they're creeping they still make a kind of quiet rustling sound, sounds the enemy do not make.

Are the enemy supposed to be silent ninjas? The enemy are already scoped, bayo'd, wall-punching, auto-death njubgun-totting run-and-gun killers but adding 'Ninja' to that list seems unnecessary. (I do hear enemy gunfire and general chatter, BTW.)

Sound went down the ****ter when death cries disappeared as far as I can recall. In beta I would always be careful to hear footsteps and it often netted me a few kills, felt like crouching actually mattered. Now I have to fling my mouse in all directions like a retard instead.

Will be fixed eventually I guess.

Upvote 0
THIS has happened to me quite a lot. I also cant say I haven't used it to my advantage many times as well. The thing that really irks me is that the sounds of my own character seem to come from behind me. Making me paranoid as hell :eek:
Agreed! This is so unnerving and unnatural-sounding. A mere twitch produces the sound of someone taking a step behind and to the opposite direction of your movement, which makes you suddenly swing back the other way for fear of being ninja

Upvote 0
I can rarely hear enemies, unless their dude is randomly shouting some nonsense (which I really hate when "I" do).

Heck, sounds in general are pretty "****ed up".

At least in the way of some randomly silenced grenades, artillery usually brings 1 or 2 silenced explosions, topped off with it always sounding distant and not how I imagine it would sound when landing on top of my head. I have seen silenced stationary MGs and I find it often very hard to hear how close/distant some gunshots are.

Some of this weren't always that bad.

THIS has happened to me quite a lot. I also cant say I haven't used it to my advantage many times as well. The thing that really irks me is that the sounds of my own character seem to come from behind me. Making me paranoid as hell :eek:

Too true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't had this problem. Are you sure you got sound set to 128 channels? If you got it at 32 channels a lot of the sounds will be cut off when a new sound plays, so that'd explain the silent movement.
I have it set to 32 channels. Performance is already p_ss poor when there are lots of sounds trying to be played at once (Station is a slideshow inside the buildings during a firefight) so I can't ramp it up to 128 channels while the game still pushes sound processing entirely through the CPU.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter which soundcard you have, RO2 uses the CPU for sounds.

Source please.

The only thing that can link CPU usage to sound cards are for everyone with a motherboard on-board sound card such as a realtek, soundmax or whatnot.

Some onboard audio chips are pretty decent, some are pretty bad... All in all, nothing beats a good audio card..
That also helps a tiny bit with performance as onboard chips depend on cpu a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meirleach
Upvote 0
Source please.

The only thing that can link CPU usage to sound cards are for everyone with a motherboard on-board sound card such as a realtek, soundmax or whatnot.

Some onboard audio chips are pretty decent, some are pretty bad... All in all, nothing beats a good audio card..
That also helps a tiny bit with performance as onboard chips depend on cpu a little.

this game uses the XAudio 2 sound engine. designed for XBOX, completely software and uses no processing power of ANY sound cards. please ref http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67839

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have noticed this in RO2 where sometimes the sounds do not even represent what is going on. I know on the barracks map that if you are in the far back you will hear screams and yells to your far left and you are far removed from the battlefield. Also a lot of times I hear movement to only realize it is my own shuffling. I think RO1/DH had it down and I assume that in the future RO2 will follow suit with tweaks and patches.

Upvote 0