• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dungeon Keeper fans, prepare to SQUEEE!!

It's hard for me to put my finger on it because I honestly like both games, but subjectively I like the graphics of the first one better. They fit better, imo, although they admittedly take some getting used to. Might have more to do with what I played first. Subjectively I also think DKI feels more cohesive and more honestly goofy. DKII feels a little forced.
But again, the difference is very hard to pinpoint and if it's there it's small. The graphics, I think, are the biggest point for me.

Upvote 0
http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274181/dungeons-impressions

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/08/19/drain-heroes-souls-in-kalypso-s-dungeons.aspx

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2010/08/19/dungeons-preview/1

So...ah....erm....I may have been a little hasty in calling this a new Dungeon Keeper, or even its spiritual successor. It's starting to look SIGNIFICANTLY different. I'm liking what I'm hearing, but you need to adjust your expectations because this isn't going to be the same game, at all, when it comes to game play.

It's now looking much more like Dungeon Tycoon or or a Dungeon SIM.

Heroes have wants when they enter the dungeon and seek out their wants. Combat, treasure, forbidden magical knowledge, that kind of stuff.

Fulfilled heroes have more soul energy to harvest when they're struck down. You get more of their total soul energy when you put them in prisons or torture them.

Soul energy lets you make stuff for your Dungeon Lord, and he gets levels and buys abilities of a WoW-like Talent tree.

If heroes aren't fulfilled, they wander around more and go deeper into your dungeon, closer to the dungeon heart.

How strong the heroes are depends on how snazzy your dungeon is. Building stuff like torches and interesting objects for heroes to find and look at gets you a higher dungeon rating, unlocks more stuff, ect...

----

So yeah. Dungeon Tycoon. We were all a little hasty in labeling it a DKII successor, but I'm ok with that. I like some Tycoon games, and this has the right theme for me. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, given what Realmforge has worked on before, this is firmly within their comfort zone of game design.

Upvote 0
Yes, played and devoured it.

More dev posts.

chris@realmforge said:
(21-08-2010 09:57 PM)Nenjin Wrote: -Assuming they live long enough, will heroes ever try to leave the dungeon? If they've filled their need for gold, fighting and interesting objects, will they just go home, taking all their soul energy with them?
When heroes have fullfilled there needs you gain their soul energy and they'll try to leave the dungeon. However, if you can catch them on their way out, you can imprison them and get the soul energy again. So on happy heroes you have a chance on twice their soul energy.

(21-08-2010 09:57 PM)Nenjin Wrote: -How do heroes enter the dungeon? When the game starts, are you immediately connected to where heroes enter, or do you have to construct your way to them first, giving you time to plan?
Depends on the map actually. Some will have connected (and open) entrances, others will allow you to dig your own connections.

(21-08-2010 09:57 PM)Nenjin Wrote: -How difficult are heroes, on average? How much of a threat can they pose to your dungeon heart if you try to let them gain as much soul energy as possible? This may not be a question you can really answer, because it goes to balance, but vital resources that can kill me as a player tend to make me a little nervous. That's a tough balance to strike. Are our monsters just there to keep them "happy", or can we confidently rely on them to defend the important parts of our dungeon?
Normally a hero can deal with several monsters, so they are mainly cannon fodder for heroes (as I read in the DF forum Wink ). However a group of them can compete with a hero. There's also a special Guard monster that you can summon in order to protect your dungeon heart. This one can take on a couple of heroes. Your dungeon lord gets mightier through Prestige (what you get for building nice looking things like light sources / torches / skeletons into your dungeon).
I hope this answers your question.

(21-08-2010 09:57 PM)Nenjin Wrote: -What causes higher level heroes to enter your dungeon, besides your Dungeon rating? I'm mostly concerned with difficulty, because I like to take these kinds of games very, very slow. Does killing more heroes cause strong heroes to appear, as word of your evil spreads? Or is it totally in your control, by how fast you expand or decorate the dungeon?
Hero levels raise automatically over time because as you say it "word of your evil spreads".
However it would be quite easy to change that increase by editing one file, if the difficulty is really a problem for you.

(21-08-2010 09:57 PM)Nenjin Wrote: -Are there any buildings the heroes will try to destroy besides the dungeon heart? Will we have to worry about them rampaging around the dungeon, destroying our infrastructure and causing us to be unable to stop them from getting to the dungeon heart?
Nope, heroes are only interested in destroying your dungeon heart (or killing your goblin workers). Your dungeon lord has also a "Teleport to Dungeon Heart" spell so normally you should be able to defend it.

Upvote 0