• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Duke Nukem Forever - OMGWTF, IT'S ACTUALLY RELEASED!?!

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/43655

The many delays and long development history of 3D Realms' anticipated Duke Nukem Forever, first announced in April 1997, are well known to gamers, but it appears that at present the game may be undergoing even more troubles. Shacknews has learned from numerous reputable sources close to the game's development that, since approximately the end of 2005, 3D Realms has had something of an employee exodus. Apparently, up to ten major team members have left the company, with multiple departures having occurred as recently as within the past few days.

Developers confirmed to have left 3D Realms since last December include Scott Alden, Will Bate, Brian Cozzens, Kyle Davis, Andy Hanson, Keith Schuler, and Charlie Wiederhold. Some of the former employees headed up crucial game systems such as physics, animation, and rendering. Notably, Schuler is a sixteen year veteran of Apogee and 3D Realms. Our sources indicate that while the game's team has reached a size of about 24-28 developers, recently it has been closer to 18, meaning these current departures may actually comprise a majority of the team. Several sources have indicated that further information regarding these matters is expected next week.

3D Realms' George Broussard, who heads up the Duke Nukem Forever project, is known to hold a perfectionist attitude towards the game, which is in large part responsible for its many delays. The game has been revamped with new engines multiple times, further prolonging development time as game assets and levels have had to be rebuilt. Some sources speculate that, unless major changes are made to the development process, the game may never see the light of day. A Prey-like rebirth under a new developer supervised by 3D Realms may be a potential consideration, but descriptions from those close to Broussard suggest that he would be unlikely to approve such a direction.

3D Realms officials have been contacted for formal comment by Shacknews, but did not respond by press time.

Update:
Shacknews has learned that four of the employees named above--Brian Cozzens, Kyle Davis, Keith Schuler, and Charlie Wiederhold--are now working for Brothers in Arms series developer Gearbox Software. Wiederhold's employment at Gearbox was already public knowledge. These four employees were key members of the Duke Nukem Forever team and led various aspects of development.
stephencolbert.jpg

I called it.

I was so damn right.

Honest to god if this trend follows I've got a lot of money coming my way.

Ofcourse these bets were made nearly 5-6 years ago.

Duke Nukem Fornever olol!

It's a game that I might have cared about if it was released within, say five years of the original. After that, I ceased caring. So many other games have come and gone, Duke got lost in the shuffle. Best to remember him the way he was in that time frame of games.

Exactly my thoughts, Duke-3D was fun back when i was a kid, and the game certainly does hold a place in my heart, but i just can't see myself playing a modern Duke (not that i think DNF will ever be released)..

Upvote 0
I love Duke Nukem. He's easily one of my favourite game heroes, ever. He just kicks ass - nothing more, nothing less. I still remember playing the old school 2D platformers as a child. Duke 3D was even better. My friend and I were totally into that game, and we even went as far as reciting the Dukester's one-liners in real life quite regularly, not in the least to diss out stupid chicks of course. ;)

Aah yes, great memories. If you like Duke, you should also check out Manhattan Project. It goes back to the roots of the side-scrolling platformer, but in semi-3D. I really enjoyed that game, although it doesn't quite have the freedom that Duke 3D had. I recommend you try it out, it's a good game. :)

As for DNF, we'll see. To be honest I'm not quite interested in this game anymore - never really have been anyway. Like Mr. Moe said, perhaps it's better to remember the series for the great games that it spawned. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by DNF. Not that it'll ever come out of course... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's no reason to judge the game anymore, because it basically doesn't even exist. So it's pointless to say you wouldn't play the game.

And yes, it's not like this news was unexpected. Honestly, I really stopped caring about the game a long time ago. TF2 is the only game that's really followed through on such a long development cycle, and barely then.

Upvote 0
The last few Duke's were all that amazing, especially Land of the Babes where instead of health you have Ego and you can basically heal yourself by hitting on women.:p :rolleyes: And of course your generic "pistol" suddenly became a "Golden Desert Eagle" because he's so badass he doesn't need to compensate for penis size, but still carries a big gun regardless.

Upvote 0
Teaser trailer tomorrow - http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29639

Last Saturday we had our annual company Christmas party. It was a lot of fun as usual but it featured one special surprise. It turns out that several people had been secretly working late nights and into the wee hours of the morning preparing a special video for those at the party. They created a short teaser for Duke Nukem Forever.

After seeing the teaser we thought it was something we should share with all of you and while it's just a teaser, rest assured more is coming.

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th, around noon CST, we will release the first teaser trailer from Duke Nukem Forever. To tide you over until then, here is a screen shot taken from the teaser.
Image - http://www.csnation.net/image.php?id=43424

Shall I change the title of this thread now, or later... :)

Reactions: spraduke
Upvote 0
Haha, this will be a lot of fun (if it ever comes out). Me and the mates played the old one a LOT, and I even had a go at the Hi-Res version that was out a couple of years back. I think Duke was also one of the first games to have LAN deathmatch? It was the first I remember at least.

Am I correct on this as well; I believe Duke 3D had the 'reverse mouse' set as default (pull back to look up), and you could not change it? I played it so much that reverse mouse is totally natural to me, and actually think all who use the 'normal' are total nubs :p

Upvote 0
COME GET SOME!

Am I correct on this as well; I believe Duke 3D had the 'reverse mouse' set as default (pull back to look up), and you could not change it? I played it so much that reverse mouse is totally natural to me, and actually think all who use the 'normal' are total nubs

I believe you could change it easily from the options menu or somethign like that. Atleast my licensed copy (yes, I still have the discs) of DN3D Atomic Edition\Plutonium PAK\whatever it is that feature in options menu, that you can change reverse mouse to non-reverse.

I don't care how long it takes to get out but it's gonna rock, it's Duke frigging Nukem. End of story. :p

Upvote 0