• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does this game have a manual?

Tiberian

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 2, 2013
I'm a brand new player to the series, starting with RS, and it seems like there's a lot of things that aren't explained in detail anywhere. Is there some sort of manual that explains the basics, like the differences between the various game modes and "difficulties", how leveling up works, suppression, giving ammo, etc.?

I don't want to be spamming chat when people are trying to play with basic questions if they're answered somewhere else in detail, but my search so far has just led me to many tactics/teamwork guides. While useful, they tend to focus on general concepts instead of explaining game mechanics with concrete numbers or definitions.

ex. When I go to give a Machinegunner ammo, where does the ammo come from? Do I carry extra ammo only for MGs? Do I give one magazine, or fully replenish? Can I get more if I run back to an ammo cache?

Any direction towards a manual or more detailed guides on the basic game mechanics/rules would be welcome. Thanks.

There is no official manual, only a Key Reference on paper if you bought RO2 retail.

If you look at the RO2/RS Tactics section of this forum, you will find lots of guides to both games. Last time I saw, there were 24 different guides that cover almost every aspect of the games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there is no manual.

A signifcant oversight as there are many unexplained details and nuances that can only be ascertained and learned by playing.

A simple official TWI manual of 10 pages or something could have gone a long way to keep the chat from constantly being filled with questions.

guess they just figure no one reads manuals anymore anyways?

Upvote 0
I'm a brand new player to the series, starting with RS, and it seems like there's a lot of things that aren't explained in detail anywhere. Is there some sort of manual that explains the basics, like the differences between the various game modes and "difficulties", how leveling up works, suppression, giving ammo, etc.?

I don't want to be spamming chat when people are trying to play with basic questions if they're answered somewhere else in detail, but my search so far has just led me to many tactics/teamwork guides. While useful, they tend to focus on general concepts instead of explaining game mechanics with concrete numbers or definitions.

ex. When I go to give a Machinegunner ammo, where does the ammo come from? Do I carry extra ammo only for MGs? Do I give one magazine, or fully replenish? Can I get more if I run back to an ammo cache?

Any direction towards a manual or more detailed guides on the basic game mechanics/rules would be welcome. Thanks.
Surprisingly, while TWI tried to reach a bigger audience with RO2 (nb: this is a great thing when the game remains interesting and challenging), they forgot the most basic element: making it easier to learn how the game works.

The singleplayer campaign was supposed to play that role, but it barely covered the key elements of the game, while leaving tons of unexplained parts. And no complete guide was ever made.

A few elements are explained on the official Tripwire Interactive wiki though.

---

I'll try to explain the points you mentioned, I hope it will help some people.

A) The various game modes:

1) Territory: most played mode (by far), players have to capture zones (CZ) to win the map, respawns work in waves (with limited "reinforcements"/tickets depending on the map/playercount, at 0 no one can respawn but all living players can still win/lose the map).

Round only ends with full capture by a team, or time reaching 0, or overtime (need a capture going on) being over, or all players of a team being dead with no reinforcement left.

Territory comes in 2 flavours:

* Standard Territory: both teams attack and defend, fighting over the currently active CZs (= not all CZ can be captured at any time - rule of thumb: the CZ adjacents to the front line).

Victory condition:
- full capture of all CZs.
- or which team has the most points (who held the most CZs most of the time) when the time/overtime is over.

* Attack/Defend: one team has to attack, one team has to defend. On some maps capture-zone are paired (A-B, C-D, E-F), so defenders can recapture one of the two 'currently active' capture-zone, until the next 'row' is unlocked (when both CZ are captured and held by attackers at the same time).

Victory condition:
- Defenders win by holding at least 1 CZ (the last) when the time runs out.
- Attackers win by capturing all CZs.

2) Multiplayer Campaign: strings together multiple maps (in Territory mode) in a grand campaign. Each team has "Combat Strength" points, spent attacking and defending sectors (= a sector hosts 1 or 2 maps). Winning/losing a map will determine how much "Combat Strength" points your team spent defending/attacking a sector. Holding territories grants you "Combat Strength" points (never enough to climb back though).

Victory condition:
- capturing all sectors.
- or, when both team do not have enough "Combat Strength" points to attack, the team holding the most sectors win.

3) Countdown: much more slow paced and focused than Territory, very rarely played (very sadly), played best with less players.

One life per CZ (CZs are "mini-rounds"), and after a little time (can't remember the duration) the attacking commander can trigger (two times during the entire big-round) a reinforcement (a spawn wave, for all dead players).

After the attacking team won all CZ (mini-rounds), winning the round, or lost all its men (and reinforcements), or let the time run out, teams are swapped - defenders are now attacking.

The team who captured the most CZ (won the most mini-rounds) win the map. If there's a stalemate (regarding CZs), the fastest team wins.

4) Firefight: TDM = spawn, move, kill/die, rinse and repeat. Really only about the gunplay.

---

Realism level (aka "Difficulties"):

1) Action: an attempt at opening RO2/RS to players coming from fast paced FPS (with unrestricted mobility), such as CoD or BF3. Movements and how the weapons are handled are not *that* far from the FPS previously mentioned, while still different. Might be a way to take a look at the game. Not really the "Red Orchestra" experience though.

2) Realism: the default mode, as intended by Tripwire Interactive. The movements, weapons, features, etc are all balanced around the experience wanted by Tripwire Interactive. The most played mode, and the recommended mode for all new players.

3) Classic: a mode later added to Red Orchestra 2, after most RO1 veterans left RO2 because the game went away from the slow paced tactical shooter formula, and took some historical liberties, for reasons that weren't really explained - many RO1 veterans suspecting not-so-ethical commercial motives (misleading BF3/CoD playerbase into buying the game).

The Classic mode:
- removes all unlocks (nb: the PPSh gets its drum mag, bolt-action rifles get their bayonets, etc = historical accuracy)
- damages are instant (no bleeding mechanism, no bandage)
- no FOV zoom when "focusing", higher sway
- reduces the movement speed, increase the transition between sprint/shooting
- removes the "spawn on squad leader"
- no killcam
- delayed kill message (! very important for the game's tension !)

It results in much less "run and gun" behaviours among the players, and globally in a more tactical gameplay. Usually played on 1 or 2 high-population servers (and ~3 other less-populated servers).

Recommended for RO1 veterans, or anyone wanting the "real", deep Red Orchestra experience (after trying the "Realism" mode).

---

"how leveling up works"

There is two categories of leveling: classes and weapons.

1) To level up a weapon, you need to make kills.
It seems that since the release of Rising Storm, the amount of "points" you get per kill is much higher than before. Before RS, you needed around 1500 kills (nb: kills are rare in RO2) to unlock the main upgrade of a weapon = it took forever (in Countdown, each kill counted as 16 kills, but people almost never played CD). Just tried RS, it seems that 1 kill = 4 or 8 points now. Good news.

There is a stats page in the game (don't forget to select "Red Orchestra 2" or "Rising Storm" at the bottom to view the right stats).

2) To level up a class, you need to play that class (and score Team Points).

Every time you defend or attack a CZ, make an assist (= participate in a kill, but not get the final shot/blow), make a kill, save a teammate/Squad Leader/Commander, give ammo to MG, etc... you get Team Points.

3) For both the Class and Weapon leveling, you'll still need a level of "Honor"
Honor points are gained by earning Team Points, making kills from/into a CZ, and specific kills (protecting a Commander or a Squad Leader). Playing the game normally and being near the capture-zone should be enough for that.

nb: leveling up gives you small (but important) bonuses, they're visible in the stats menu.

nb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there is no manual.

A signifcant oversight as there are many unexplained details and nuances that can only be ascertained and learned by playing.

A simple official TWI manual of 10 pages or something could have gone a long way to keep the chat from constantly being filled with questions.

guess they just figure no one reads manuals anymore anyways?

Actually, there is a manual. But it was only produced for boxed versions - remind me when I get in the office and I'll upload it here. But it doesn't cover that level of detail. Tried to do it for Ostfront way back - ended up being about 60 pages :)

Upvote 0
Actually, there is a manual. But it was only produced for boxed versions - remind me when I get in the office and I'll upload it here. But it doesn't cover that level of detail. Tried to do it for Ostfront way back - ended up being about 60 pages :)
I have to admit that a "full" guide will be more than 30-pages long.

However, the Tripwire Interactive wiki could be filled (some parts really need the input from devs, who know the real data and not just wild guesses) and reorganized.

Then, added to the game (at first with a simple link to the Steam browser, heading to the RO2/RS wiki menu), then, as an interactive guide inside the game.

How interactive ?

First, a screenshot of the FPS view, with clickable elements of the UI, opening a window pop-up describing the element. With every single UI element on board. Even the little grey 'ticks' on the side of the screen.

Second, a screenshot of the Overview map, with clickable elements (of all buttons, markers, etc).
(btw, would be nice if Commanders/SLs could draw/put indicative markers on it - even if only using the radio menu)
(spawn menu still auto-closing for no reason :c, preventing people from re-selecting their spawn)

Third, a screenshot of a spectator view of a "typical" battlefield, with capture zones and elements outlined and described. Clickable elements all over the place of course.

Fourth, a short "video" during which as much actions as possible are done on-screen (scripted sequence: cover, blind fire, ironsight, focus zoom, melee charge, bleeding, bandage, give ammo, loot, use fixed MG, destroy access/hedgehog with satchels, etc...).

With a 5-sec pause at each action, allowing the user to stop the video whenever he wants an explanation (along with two big "Play" and a "Pause" button, a simple click on the screen pauses it and starts the explanation - to resume before the explanation ends, click on "Play" button (flashing every 1 sec after 5 sec)).

A progress bar below allows the user to go back to a specific part, or skip to a part mentioned in the wiki/database (best would be linkable parts, a la youtube &t=1m30s).

Then, if the user still has a question about a specific element, he/she can search the wiki/database (each article having all the appropriate tags), or ask the forum and get an answer/a link to the appropriate wiki/database entry/part.

Example: 'giving ammo to MG' entry tags are: MG, MGer, machinegun, machine-gun, machine gun, ammo, ammunition, ammo pile, ammunition pile, clip, clips, magazine, magazines, reload, empty, need, give, use, action, team point, team points, support.

---

With the 3 screenshots with clickable elements (outlined in glowing yellow), and the short video, the user will be able to learn the game's environment and rules without having to wait through an endless tutorial (teaching how to WASD), nor having to read a wall of text (the 200-pages manuals of flight simulators).

The visual connection the user makes between the screenshots/video (the game's environment), and the explanation (game's rule), makes the learning process an interesting one, as the user discover the game AND the rules at the same time.

It makes the transition between the theoretical concept (guide, text, manual), and the actual practical reality (ingame), much more smooth, leaving much less room to misinterpretation.

It will also greatly help the "visual learners" in memorizing the information (nb: planning an audio version - spoken explanation - for the auditory learner might be a good idea).

Sure, a "perfect" system would happen "in-game", but that would require much more work (play/pause/rewind, ingame visual/audio popups, elements outlining, allowing the user to 'interact' with the environment with an over-screen cursor...) and very precise scripting. Interactive screenshots + short video are the best compromise in my opinion.

---

That kind of "interactive" guide is technically "easy" (maybe not the video, but come on, TWI is a company with programmers - Youtube can do it, it has pauses in its video, links between videos, etc - it is possible), it "only" needs several hours of serious effort by a dedicated team.

It could be partially crowdsourced (especially for the wiki/database), but it is pointless (for us users) to do that work, if the company isn't going to implement it in the final product, nor going to do the administration job (sorting out contributions, giving out priorities/tasks to people, etc).

If we know an interactive guide IS happening, then yes people will line up.

I've done my finals, love to help, like that game and wish it will stay alive for a little while - give me a reason to participate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a retail version of RO2, yet after installing the game and then after RS (paid for too) installed automatically, I have neither SP nor a manual on my PC. Are you saying that I need to copy it from the DVD to my PC again? :confused:

Upvote 0
I'll try to explain the points you mentioned, I hope it will help some people.

(Insert awesome explanation of a number of game mechanics)
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1227538&postcount=7[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1227538&postcount=7[/URL]

Really, don't be afraid to ask - unless you interrupt a vital communication (very rarely the case), a short, clear message will be answered right away :)

Thank you very much, Temporary. Your post answered a lot of the questions I had, like why I'd "randomly" get suppressed sometimes when no one was shooting at me (and a teammate died nearby). I enjoy taking MG roles when available too, but didn't know if giving ammo to another MG player took some from my supply somehow. Now I know I can give them a little bit extra.

I'll be sure to check the forums and wiki for info if/when I have other questions, and just ask in-game if there's nothing posted. I'm having a blast playing, and glad I decided to pick this game up. Maybe I'll see you in-game someday, and can be a useful teammate (or at least a good target for you to shoot ;))

Upvote 0
How about posting this manual in the RS/RO2 Game Guides?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/guides/#scrollTop=0

Also, you could add it to the game's right-click menu like Witcher 2 has: http://i.imgur.com/Uef99gN.png?1

Clicking on that takes you here: http://cdn3.steampowered.com/Manuals/20920/The Witcher 2 Manual - English.pdf?t=1360088460

BFBC2 has a game manual link in the Steam library as well: http://cdn3.steampowered.com/Manuals/24960/873494_MAEAA_BFBC2.pdf?t=1328037650

Borderlands 2: http://cdn3.steampowered.com/Manuals/49520/BL2_PC_Long_ENG_ManInt_081712_HighRes.pdf?t=1370027922

This isn't a well-known Steam feature, so I'll excuse you guys for not utilizing it. :p
But now that you know, there's no excuse!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where do we find commands like how to bind " I need ammo" ect?
We had console commands to trigger a voice command for RO1, but I don't know the ones used by RO2. Haven't found any information on that.

I think that if we had found that, someone would have made a custom menu to bring back the tree-structure, instead of the less-than-useful commo rose.

Really, it's taking forever to use a specific voice command, especially when you need to go up-left diagonally (Request Support), then carefully following the narrow path around the commo rose, to finally reach "Requesting Artillery" or "Requesting Smoke" (the two MOST requested elements ever in RO2) on the other side of the rose.

I would kill for the equivalent of the "Speech AUTO" command in Killing Floor.

Upvote 0