• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Does the PPS 42/43 serve any role? and any other useless guns?

Bunny monster

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
I'm not a big fan of the PPS 43 but its kinda useless, the PPSH is much better, less recoil and more bullets, so why would I choose the PPS 43? Its awful, smaller rate of fire, smaller amount of bullets and you also need to upgrade it to reduce recoil.

There are other guns much more useless as this one, the scoped g41 in my opinion that without a better scope is pretty pointless,

What other guns do you think that aren't that much of a use?

:)

The primary purpose of the weapon was for personal protection for support services, vehicle crews and recon. The design lent itself well to mass production at low cost. It was not intended as a primary assault weapon, but it was certainly better than a pistol in most cases. It's use in the game is certainly justified. The Soviet Union stamped these things out into overproduction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:)

The primary purpose of the weapon was for personal protection for support services, vehicle crews and recon. The design lent itself well to mass production at low cost. It was not intended as a primary assault weapon, but it was certainly better than a pistol in most cases. It's use in the game is certainly justified. The Soviet Union stamped these things out into overproduction.

Basically the USSR's M1 Carbine.

Upvote 0
I'm not a big fan of the PPS 43 but its kinda useless, the PPSH is much better, less recoil and more bullets, so why would I choose the PPS 43? Its awful, smaller rate of fire, smaller amount of bullets and you also need to upgrade it to reduce recoil.

There are other guns much more useless as this one, the scoped g41 in my opinion that without a better scope is pretty pointless,

What other guns do you think that aren't that much of a use?

Mappers could make use of it if they wanted to create a scenario that had a realistic loadout in which the PPSH was not available.

Even if it is weaker I like that its there and its nice to have the choice.

Upvote 0
I actually prefer the PPS 42/43 over the PPSH. Its bullets do more damage, which means its a lot more effective at range than the PPSH, especially if you burst fire. It's slightly worse up close, due to not being quite as much of a bullet hose as the PPSH, but I find that I rarely notice the difference.

Upvote 0
[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t9RoXAgZT3SJpteMrcNg2kg/htmlview[/URL]

Here are stats of weapons from the RO2 which were posted on this forum some times ago. Maybe something has changed, but if not then PPS42 bullets do not do more damage and it has a higher recoil, so I don't see how it would be better in a "ranged" combat. Like aaz777 has said, it's inferior in every way.

Upvote 0
[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/t9RoXAgZT3SJpteMrcNg2kg/htmlview[/URL]

Here are stats of weapons from the RO2 which were posted on this forum some times ago. Maybe something has changed, but if not then PPS42 bullets do not do more damage and it has a higher recoil, so I don't see how it would be better in a "ranged" combat. Like aaz777 has said, it's inferior in every way.
Interesting, never saw any of those stats before. Regardless of the damage, I still feel like the PPS42 is slightly more effective at range, probably because the horizontal recoil is a consistent 75, rather than anywhere from 85-105.

Thus, if one controls the vertical recoil by using burst fire, the PPS42 becomes much more reliable and accurate at range than the PPSH41, making it possible to routinely pick off targets over 100m away with it, whereas with the PPSH41, those kind of shots typically require a certain amount of luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But why are you using an SMG at >50m anyway?
It's a total waste of time unless you're just hanging out in a cap zone with nothing to do.
Not really a waste of time if I manage to get a good amount of kills by doing it. And anyway, it's not like I'm actively trying to snipe people with an SMG, I just like to squeeze off a few bursts at targets of opportunity when I see them, as long as there are no other immediate threats at that moment. And I find that this pays off more often with the PPS42 than the PPSH41.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I was talking about. But those rare moments of calm opportunity aren't quite worth the tradeoff in my opinion.
The tradeoff of what? The bullets wasted? Or the time that could be spent doing something else? Either way, the investment is minimal, as it only takes a few seconds to fire off a burst or two, and it's not like it's particularly common to run out of ammo in RO2.

Upvote 0
The pps42 has no specific role. It is mostly worse than the ppsh42 at everything but longer range bursting. It seems to have been added to the game just for variety, it is certainly not a game changer that the MG42 is.

What I would like to see is more assault roles added to the Allies on every map to give them a greater CQB presence than the Axis. These additional assault roles could be outfitted with the pps42.

Alas, it seems tripwire do not understand the imabalance in the game.

Upvote 0
It is definitely the worst smg in the game, but it is kinda fun to mess around with. Primarily because it makes it a bit more challenging to play a smg class, since the PPSH and the MP40 are both very very powerful guns.

Also, it was refreshing just to get a new gun, back when it was introduced, that alone made it worthwhile to me at least.

Upvote 0