• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Disable MG hip fire!

Skulz87

Feb 5, 2013
Whats up with MG RAMBO's

People use Machineguns as SMG shooting the hell out of as long range as 100m killing zillions and CHUCK NORRIS approves that! :mad:

I find this ridiculous and very annoying and unrealistic, dont disable it completely but make it tooooo difficult to control the gun when hip firing.

Give them options to defend themselves in close quarters but seriously Ive seen rambos killing people at very long ranges with hip fire.

:mad:

Last edited:
I'd tell you there's already a thread on the first page of General Discussion, but that's not your fault since that thread doesn't have a title.

Anyway, I'm going to repeat what I said before: If you point a gun at someone, whether you're aiming down the sight or not, the first bullet is going to hit him. Even then, it's not that easy, and I dare you to show me footage of people "shooting the hell out of as long range as 100m killing zillions." It's much more effective, easy, and quick to deploy your gun when there are "zillions" coming at you, or to use your sights (as a submachine gunner or otherwise).

However, even though it's not that big a problem in my experience, I wouldn't mind machine gunners having some spread to their fire (effectively a "cone of fire" since the poor soldier probably can't hold it perfectly straight whilst firing from the hip), and having some sort of system to make swinging the gun around more difficult.

Upvote 0
Whats up with MG RAMBO's

People use Machineguns as SMG shooting the hell out of as long range as 100m killing zillions and CHUCK NORRIS approves that! :mad:

I find this ridiculous and very annoying and unrealistic, dont disable it completely but make it tooooo difficult to control the gun when hip firing.

Give them options to defend themselves in close quarters but seriously Ive seen rambos killing people at very long ranges with hip fire.

:mad:

Yes... Because none of that's unrealistic.

Google or YouTube people hip firing any of the MG's in the game in real life and you will see that it isn't just possible, but in trained hands, decently effective up to a certain distance.

And 100m or more? Eventually one or two of the many bullets are going to hit something. It's not like they magically vanish.

Upvote 0
From experience with the later M-60 Machinegun, it can be and is fired from the hip, and rather accurate, we practiced it, were actually trained to it, and we did it when needed. 'sense shooting' as we called it, walking rounds into the target, like any skill with practice 'nothing is impossible' matter of fact in a walking assault the M-60 is fired from the hip, with the strap across shoulders, and a heavy down pressure with your fore hand on the guns metal heat shield to keep it 'stable' and you were quite accurate at the 100m range with 3-6rd 'burst's. Took practice, but was quite doable.

I can see no reason why a MG34/42 is any different, nor the DP-28

Upvote 0
Jeepers, I swear exactly the same arguments get trotted out every single time this comes up.

To wit:
  • Nobody is saying the weapons can't be hip fired in reality.
  • The MG34 as modelled in RO2 has the traverse rate and handling characteristics of an SMG. There's no weight or inertia penalty.
  • Suppression, penetration, and sustained rate of fire (with the belt) make this a very attractive primary assault weapon.

In conclusion, it is a support weapon, and should be balanced as such in the game. RO1 had a good compromise for this.

It's not the end of the world, but it does get annoying, especially in CQB when machine gunners are strolling about like Kerberos Panzer Cop.

The biggest resistance to the change comes from people that play like this. That's why turkeys don't get to vote at Christmas.

Upvote 0
From experience with the later M-60 Machinegun, it can be and is fired from the hip, and rather accurate, we practiced it, were actually trained to it, and we did it when needed. 'sense shooting' as we called it, walking rounds into the target, like any skill with practice 'nothing is impossible' matter of fact in a walking assault the M-60 is fired from the hip, with the strap across shoulders, and a heavy down pressure with your fore hand on the guns metal heat shield to keep it 'stable' and you were quite accurate at the 100m range with 3-6rd 'burst's. Took practice, but was quite doable.

I can see no reason why a MG34/42 is any different, nor the DP-28
HA people had been making this claim and now we have someone who can actually say he himself was trained to do it. Although it occurs to me that the M60 has a nice place to grab on to. In game the player holds the MG34's bipod, I thought it was actually too long to do that :/ and I don't think holding the barrel sleeve would work very well.

Sulman said:
That's why turkeys don't get to vote at Christmas.
Poor turkeys D: I'll vote for them.

Upvote 0
I've have literally never heard or read a single complaint about it in RO1.

No-one bothered to hip fire in RO1 with it though, because it was literally useless. Throwing rocks was more effective than trying to hip fire the MG in RO1. You had that long pause as you prepared the gun, long enough that you'd usually been hip shot long before you could fire. And worst, the recoil was such that you'd be shooting the ceiling after a few shots. DH fixed the recoil issue, but the overly long prepare time still meant hardly anyone used it.

All things said, I much prefer the system in RO2. As flawed as it may be, it's still an improvement over RO1. Though I should add, I play classic and very rarely do I see people ramboing in classic. But I gather it's a lot easier to do in realism mode.

Upvote 0
The same thing may be done with the DP-28 yet no-one complains about that... :p

or the types, just the mg34 (with belt or saddle) and the 1919 where you can chase someone through a building firing bullets the entire way :p

personally I think it should be implemented a bit closer to the heavy's gun from tf2 - a short deploy time so you can't just line up and hit someone with the 3rd bullet from 30m while strafing with minimal slowing down. Perhaps a much lesser penalty for the lighter guns though, the type 96 and DP are almost as light as the BAR :D

Upvote 0
I agree that the MG is too easy to rambo with, both being on the recieving end, having friends who do it, and - occasionally - doing it myself.

From said experiences, the issues I have with it are:
1) Bringing the weapon from sprinting to hipfire position is too fast (side note, I think it should be longer for all weapons anyhow - but moreso for MGs due to their weight and size)
2) At higher MG levels (Realism/Arcade only) recoil becomes negligible, making MG hipfire laughably easy.
3) Permanent firing position when not sprinting. Essentially what FrostedFire mentioned. Keeping yorself in the firing position slows you down slightly, and induces a stamina penalty when moving - if low/out of stamina, movement with MG in the ready-to-fire state is slower (But do not force player to lower MG).

It's a great middle-ground, in my opinion, between RO1's unrealistic crippling of the MG when hipfired, and RO2's unrealistic treatment of the MG as an SMG.

Upvote 0