• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dirt, Shrapenel, Foliage e.t.c splattered across players screen?

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
I was just wondering, to add to the immersion of the game, would it be possible if, for example, an artillery shell lands close by, it kicks up some dirt of which some is splattered on the players screen, slowly disolving away. This could also be done if a player is laying prone on the ground i.e in a grassy area and a bullet hits close by to the players face, part of the ground can be blown onto the players screen, this could work with grass, dirt, snow e.t.c.

This could simulate fear as you cannot escape the fact that bullets are hitting very close to where you are, many of which would clog up the screen (not too much) whereby you would have to take cover until it disolves away.

Maybe even if you crouching behind a sandbag and a bullet hits the bag in front sending sand and bits of cloth onto the players screen?

I think the developers would only need to create 3-5 different static textures on dirt, grass, snow, sand e.t.c and then alpha channel them onto the screen when the event takes place (i.e bullet striking close the players face + terrain).

What do you guys think?

Sturm

Have you ever had dirt flown in to your eyes? If not, I can tell you, that it doesn't slowly slowly dissolve away, but it makes you blink. Blinking would be ok. But that's all, really.

Well ofcourse it dosent but I honestly cant see the developers implementing a hand animation to wipe away the dirt/ adding a blinking animation just for this purpose.

Sturm

Upvote 0
In Brothers in Arms I convinced myself the dirt and blood was splattered on my face and not in my eyes... it was the only way I could rationalize that effect.

I did enjoy hearing raindrops plink off my helmet though. That was a simple little audio effect that RO:HOS could borrow.

I'm not one for blood on the screen, but I would love some great sound effects like rain. I would love to see a map with rain, clouds, lightening and thunder. That would be cool. I've always loved snow and rain maps. I just played a RO1 map with rain. I love the sounds. :cool:

Upvote 0
I'm not one for blood on the screen, but I would love some great sound effects like rain. I would love to see a map with rain, clouds, lightening and thunder. That would be cool. I've always loved snow and rain maps. I just played a RO1 map with rain. I love the sounds. :cool:
Absolutely.

And if it's raining, add sounds of water drops bouncing off your helmet!
No game I could think of ever had this.

Upvote 0
Sounds of raindrops on different surfaces is a definite plus I think.
Suppressive fire can be demonstrated through motion blur, which if I can recall correctly RO did have that option. I think I turned it off though cause it was effecting my ability to play the game (in a bad way), same with KF.

Thats not very fair from you. The effect *is* there to affect your ability to fight, to simulate you being supressed by nearby bullets.

Upvote 0