• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Designing a map

The higher up you go the further the draw distance so you'll need fog eventually, take a look at Danh's Winterwald and how steep he went in comparison to what you want to do. When testing your map type "stat fps" and “stat d3d9rhi” in the console, mappers try and get drawcalling kept under 1000 or 2000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jungle maps are very difficult to make run well in UE3, especially if you want engagements past 50m. You are most likely going to have a very unpleasant time trying to optimize your map if this is your first time with the SDK. If you are only interested in jungle maps that's your choice, but your job will be 1000x time harder if you try and make a jungle map as your first project.

A much easier alternative would be a snowy forest, which has very little in the way of visible grass or bushes. This would be much much easier to optimize.

If you are serious about getting into mapping, add me on Steam and I'll help you out when I'm on.

Upvote 0
Hmmm that is a damn shame. I wanted to make a papua new guinea map, something like this KOKODA - Official HD Trailer - YouTube

I guess the viewdistance would be pretty low, and there would be a lot of mist. But I also wanted to see if I could make it rain periodically to reflect the sporadic rain in that region. I might still attempt this. I'm sure that by the end of it I'll feel as if I've walked the bloody trail too :p

Upvote 0
The Rising Storm team made a very nice rain effect that never made it to release. You can use that in your map and turn it off and on randomly with Kismet, and this would not be too difficult.

So long as you don't try to make the density of your foliage too high, and use fog cleverly, a jungle map is achievable. If you want only sporadic rain, then you won't need to make your own "wet" materials to reflect the climate. I think I exaggerated the difficulty of optimizing a jungle map a bit too much in my last post. It's definitely one of the more difficult thing to do, but it's not impossible for a first-timer. Add me on Steam and I'll show you the ropes.

Also, that trailer looks really cool. Thanks for sharing! :D

Upvote 0