• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death messages

I liked this feature in DH, it adds a lot of suspense to each kill. One thing I've noticed from the videos is that the delay doesn't even matter since your character auto-taunts whenever they get a kill.

Semi-off topic, but that annoys the crap out of me. I know some people find it immersive, but having my avatar give away my location over and over again without any way to stop it is one of my pet peeves.

I might be sneaking up on some guy and suddenly my character yells "grenade" or "machine gunner!" or "bite me!" or whatever and the guy I was about to stab realises I'm right behind him.

God damn is that annoying.

Does anyone really believe people go around yelling taunts etc at each other? You can barely hear the information you actually need so why would you make it even harder on yourself?

It's just plain dumb. Grrr...

Having said that.... I love it when I'm minding my own business then suddenly hear some enemy yell "I need to take a dump" just as he was about to stab me. Saved my neck a few times, I can tell you. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disabled ftw.

Don't think I will even bother stepping into a server with it enabled, or even delayed. I've been waiting for this feature more than any other in a FPS for a very long time. You WILL play different when you don't know.

I was hoping that there would be no death messages and you'd never be sure if you killed someone unless you see them fall down dead. I was disappointed to see death messages, but if there is an option to turn it off then I'm no longer disappointed.

Upvote 0
Monk, I think Emilio was saying that if you can clearly see the person you shot, the kill notification should be instant. This would be cool, but if can clearly see they are dead you really wouldn't need the notification.

I would go even further and say you should not get ANY kill notification until you see the body. If the guy falls and you see him on the ground, the message pops up straight away. If you take a shot, but he goes to cover, and then dies, you don't get any message until you go over and see the body for yourself. If you never see the body, no message.

I think that is not only more realistic, it adds to the fun. You actually have to confirm your kills, not just wait long enough for the message to appear.

In other words the kill notification should not give ANY information regarding whether or not you actually got a kill. You should already KNOW, before you get the message, and the message is there simply so you know WHO you killed. Sort of like ID'ing the body by checking dog tags or whatever.

Upvote 0
I just got to thinking, maybe the "delay" is caused by the person you shot not dying right away. Like the bleeding out on the ground, so that causes the message to pop up when your target ACTUALLY died.

On another note: I really appreciate what DH did with their messages by not showing up instantly. Because too many times in RO: Ost, I find my self setting my sights on the enemy then looking to the top of the screen, THEN pulling the trigger just to confirm if I hit my target.

In reality thats like closing my eyes when I fire my weapon.

Having the delay would hopefully make players look at what they are shooting at and not focusing on the HUD.

Upvote 0
I actually think a good way of implementing the delayed death message would be to fix the delay to a ratio of how far away the enemy is. Thus the further away the enemy is, the longer it takes to receive confirmation of their death. The extremely long rang firefights will still sustain the tension and suspense of whether you will see the death confirmation or take a bullet to the face first. This would also mean fights that happen within a few meters don't receive the message after ten seconds of staring at a lifeless corpse.

Upvote 0
it was a real shock when DH went to the delayed death notification as it had become routine to check the death list for confirmation after shooting someone since the days of CoD1 and the 1st MoH (remember not being able to prone? :p) Almost as routine and unconscious as checking one's mirrors while driving. At first I really hated it as it was such a habit to check and expecting instant confirmation; now I would never go back to it. Delayed notifications or none at all, never again would I want it to be instant.

Reminds me the other day, I was following my mate who had the mp40 and I had the kar. We rushed through a hedgerow and surprised 4 americans. My buddy quickly dispatched them and continued on his way. But following behind, I walked through the bloodsplashed bushes and literally walked onto the back of an enemy with his weapon shot out of his hands, pulling the pin from a nade. I quickly lowered my rifle and dispatched him with a shot to the back of the head, but not before the nade was airborne. Luckily the nade fell short of my friend and I had fallen to cover. But I don't think my veteran friend would have been as hasty to leave the scene if there had been instant notification telling him he had only killed 3 and not 4.

I quite like KarmakazeNZ idea of the visual inspection necessary to get the kill notification. Unsure how it would be implemented but I think worth looking into nonetheless.

Upvote 0
I can tell you it sure add's to the suspense if you shoot someone over a distance, and you are not sure if you killed him or not, I really like the delay

You mean it wasn't in the original RO? (Since I didn't play it, I wouldn't know) :confused: I honestly would have expected this to be a given feature in a realistic FPS, unless you would go really realistic and have it disabled...
But I personally like this feature in Red Orchestra 2, I wish more FPSs would have it...

Upvote 0
I'm liking KarmakazeNZ's idea, it's sort of what I was going for in my previous post. As I said, it's really weird when you see someone mow down an enemy with an SMG in the same room and wait there staring at the corpse until 5 secs later the game tells you "yup, that guy's dead".

Now that I think of it, they could implement a similar system of what they have with the recon plane, so that when someone sees a body, the death message displays for him, and with a certain delay it shows up in other's people's HUD depending on how far they are.

Upvote 0