• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour: Normandy 1944

Small Update for upcoming release

Small Update for upcoming release

Sneak Peek at Two maps Curently undergong intensive Testing.

The First one is from RazorNeck and adds yet another Map to the Ardennes area.

Noville:

noville1.jpg

noville2.jpg

noville3.jpg

The Second Map is La Chapelle Created by yours truly with Help from our main Modeler RustIronCrowe. The map contains our new Bocage Static meshes along with a few more statics for Custom mappers to use.

lachapelle1.jpg

lachapelle2.jpg

lachapelle3.jpg

Our next patch will include coloured smoke grenades for marking locations and targets.

Those of you who've played around in the editor might remember already seeing a "red smoke grenade" as a useable item but while that was simply a regular smoke grenade with a red tint, these are a different beast altogether.

Our coloured smoke comes in two flavours - red for the Allies and orange for the Axis. The smoke these give off will "plume" rather than "cloud" and is therefore useless at concealment, but great for being visible from a long distance away. We're not forcing you to choose between classic "grey" smoke and these though - they occupy a separate inventory slot so you can carry both simultaneously.

In addition to a bright plume of smoke, a thrown smoke grenade will also mark a rally point on the map in the same manner as the binoculars' alternate fire does. To avoid confusion however, there can only be one rally point at a time per team, so if you throw a second grenade or mark a location with the binoculars (a rally point only, not an artillery target), the displayed rally point will change to reflect that.

By default, all Officers and Sergeants will be issued with 2x coloured smoke. Regular soldiers get none, however they can still scavenge them off the bodies of the fallen.

Upvote 0
The two maps shown there are medium sized maps, hard to put a relative size as such, But would esitimate both to be around a similar size to Stoumont or Foy.

I will be posting some screens of our other new maps shortly plus some of the other goodies to expect in the very near future. One of them I personally think has the best visuals in any map I have seen thus far in RO/DH or the other mods, ( i could be biased i suppose but it's not my map lol)

Upvote 0
Maps

Maps

As you may have guessed from the title (well I hope you all did!), today we're showing off maps. Two of them to be exact. The first is one that you may be familiar with already, as it's out and about on some servers in beta form. La Monderie is an expansive tank map set in France from our premier tank mapper Jeff Duquette. This version sees a few changes to the public beta, and has the M36 Jackson included as an added bonus!

The second map featuring today is La Chappelle, a combined arms map that sees a force of American infantry supported by light armour attempting to push through a small town and capture a church from German defenders. The catch however, is that the church and its surrounds have been heavily fortified and taking it will be no easy feat.

Upvote 0
New weapon.

As the astute amongst you will already know from reading our HoS.de interview, the upcoming patch will include the Mauser C96. There was some speculation as to which variant we were including, with most people guessing the M712 "Schnellfeuer". Those people were correct!

The M712 takes a 20 round box magazine and fires at a rate of around 900 rounds per minute. That means it can empty its mag in just 1.3 seconds, if you so choose. With that in mind, conservation of ammunition is an important consideration when using this weapon. This becomes even more crucial when you realise that we've decided to make the C96 a primary weapon, not a secondary. It certainly has its shortcomings at range, but up close it's extremely deadly, making it ideal as a personal defence weapon. With that purpose in mind, it will be issued to German Engineers and Tank Commanders in place of the MP40. Standard loadout includes four spare magazines.

And for those interested in our progress (who will likely make the inevitable "but when's it coming out?" post), I can confirm that we're just wrapping up the final build and preparing it to be sent to TWI. You can make of that what you will, but in the meantime you can expect at least another one or two news updates, one of which will finally reveal what I've spent so much of my development time on during the last few months.

Upvote 0
maps look nice, as does the C96. although, why add the C96? sure it looks great and is a cool weapon, but other than that......

the decision to make it the primary weapon for the tank commander i don't mind too much, i mean how often is your tank commander hoping out of his tank to engage infantry with his weapon.....so he'll probably never be using the weapon anyway.

however i am absolutely baffled by the decision to make it the primary for a combat engineer. all the photos/info i've ever seen regarding engineers was that they carried the standard infantry rifle, a carbine or an smg. to me it seems like this is just trying to find a way to impliment this new weapon. which brings up another point. how historically accurate is this? was the C96 even that common in the western theather, because i always thought it was seen more on the eastern front. same thing for engineers, did they actually carry the C96 as their only weapon besides their explosives?

not that i'm trying to challenge the DH team or anything, but it'd be nice to hear some facts regarding the weapon's use.

Upvote 0
Mantle123.jpg

Yes, that really is what you think it is. For over 5 years, mantling has sat at, or at the least very near, the top of the all time RO most wanted features list. Well not any more.

It's very straightforward to do. Simply walk up to an object at or below shoulder height and come to a halt. Make sure you're not reloading, changing weapons, shooting, or anything else that's occupying your hands (and you must also not be crouched or prone). When you see this symbol in the lower-middle of your screen, press your jump key and away you go.

MantleIcon.gif

What's that? You didn't want to climb that bit? An enemy machine gun just opened up out of nowhere? A grenade landed right where you're about to climb to? No worries! Just press your jump key again and you'll stop climbing and shove yourself backwards off the wall, free once again to take cover, return fire, or run and hide like a little girl!

It's important to note that while you're mantling, you cannot look around, you cannot shoot or change weapons and you use a constant trickle of stamina (much like sprinting). A small price to pay however, to avoid having to run 50 metres just to get around the end of a pesky, yet mysteriously impassable, chest-high wall. Especially if there's a tank coming up behind you...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0