• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour: Normandy 1944

I'm looking forwards to "Pegasus Bridge".
It's one of those "quirky para" mission, but to hold the bridge, not blow it up.
I'm just hoping for that map, under the taunts voice commands, the Brits get to say "Ham and Jam".:p

EDIT: The end of that map should be signalled with bagpipes. :D
Does anyone know what the Commandos would have been playing when they approached the bridge?

They wouldn't of played anything. If the germans heard them coming the whole "surprise attack" aspect might of been screwed! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
They wouldn't of played anything. If the germans heard them coming the whole "surprise attack" aspect might of been screwed! :rolleyes:
The British attackers didnt play the bagpipes but the reinforsments did, its was a tradishen, they even did it on Sword, Gold and i think they did on Juno.
The Commandos attached to 3rd Division arrived at Pegasus Bridge at 1300 on D-Day, lead by Lord Lovat and his piper, Bill Mallin. The pipes were being played as a signal. The glider troops and paras response would depend on whether the road and bridges were clear or not.
Lord Lovat was supposed to have been at the head of the column, wearing a white sweater and carrying a walking stick.

Upvote 0
sry to go offtopic but you do realize that we where at war way before america and we along with the canadians had as much a big involvment on D-Day as the americans, you only hear about the american side because they landed on a well defended beach and they mucked up their landing.

Care to elaborate on "they mucked up their landings?" No appologies here for going off topic, I like to hear this!

Upvote 0
Whirlwind is right about the biritsh not destroying everything, they even had a rule that they could not destroy buildings, etc without confirmation that the enemy are there, so tanks couldnt just fire at a building without a good reason and this is held up to this day with our troops.

Bob2.jpg

Upvote 0
can we put an end to this before it spirals out of control? the fact is people always think ww2 is over americanised and others argue that the brits etc didnt do nething or were pansy whatever...BOTH ARE WRONG!!! people really fought,died and showed real courage no one entire nation were complete incompotents...right so back on topic.

Upvote 0
Care to elaborate on "they mucked up their landings?" No appologies here for going off topic, I like to hear this!

The whole debacle that the message was sent to naval command that the sea was too rough to launch the D-Day tanks out at sea and should be carried into shore. Either this order was lost or just ignored they launched the tanks anyway.

Due to strong currents running parrallell to the beach the tanks were being pushed off to the left. As tanks had a church spire as the landmark to aim for they turned to compensate for the currents so they would land in the correct place. However as they turned the waves got over the skirts and swamped the tanks making most of them sink to the bottom of the channel.

No armour support + big german bunkers/MG's = lots of dead Americans.

Upvote 0
well hey ho mays well join in my good friend sam is right...omaha was in fact a complete cock up in many respects (not takin nething away from the guys who got up it) but the plan compared to the other beaches wasn't thought out right and in fact several of the guys in charge directing from sea didnt listen to advice from people on the beach or from their underlings.

Sorry to go off topic (not attempting to present a history lesson as this is not the place) but I feel I must respond too some of the points raised here:

1) Rommell knew that if an attack came at Normandy, at least part of the invasion force would try to land on Omaha. This beach was the largest landing area (six miles) and the most vulnerable: 100-foot nearly perpendicular cliffs overlooked the beach. To prepare for a possible attack, the Germans had mined the waters offshore, littered the beach with obstacles, and placed heavy guns on the cliffs overlooking what amounted to a shooting gallery below. And, in fact, when the defenders saw the first landing parties, they thought they were crazy.
2) The Allies were confident that the air and naval bombardment would soften up the defense, that the German soldiers would be from a low-quality division, and that the 40,000 troops assigned to take the beach would overwhelm the defenders. Instead, the defensive force the Americans confronted, an elite German infantry division, was far stronger and better trained than expected. Heavy clouds protected the German defenders from Allied bombers, who dropped their payloads in fields beyond the beachfront, and the poor visibility also prevented offshore guns from initially offering much support.
3) With the exception of one unit, the wind and tide caused all the landing craft to miss their objectives. Instead of distributing troops across the beach, they landed in bunches that became easier targets for the German gunners. Many soldiers were killed before they could fire a shot in the war.
4) Yes it is true that more than two-dozen of the special amphibious Sherman tanks made for the invasion immediately sank upon debarking the transports, taking their crews to the bottom. These were just a fraction of the hundreds of vehicles of all types that never reached the beach or were destroyed soon after they got there. Instead of 2,400 tons of supplies being brought ashore, only 100 tons made it.
5) The first landing parties, seasick from the rough crossing, were literally ripped apart by mines, artillery, and machine-gun crossfire. Many soldiers drowned in deep water before their craft were close enough to the beach. Others struggled even in shallower water, fighting the tide and the burden of carrying packs and guns, wearing heavy boots and steel helmets, and then adding the additional weight of their drenched uniforms. Helpless in the water, still more men were killed before they could stagger ashore. The beach offered no cover, the only place to go was forward, and the chances of making it across in the early stages were practically zero.
6) Waves of landing craft continued to drift ashore, many exploded by shells or mines, and the numbers of Allied soldiers and casualties piled up. The veterans of the landing on Omaha would later reminisce that it was a miracle they managed to get on the beach, let alone survive on it or advance beyond it.
7) Given the enormous naval armada offshore and the Allied dominance of the air, it is reasonable to ask why the German forces couldn’t have been decimated by strafing planes, bombers, and shells from the navy’s big guns. Those assets did not play as large a role as they might have for several reasons. Perhaps the most important is that once the soldiers were on the beach, neither the air force nor the navy had the accuracy to hit only the enemy targets, and it was feared that too many friendlies could be hit by accident. The navy provided invaluable support, but it was limited because so many radios were lost or disabled in the landing that troops on the beach could not communicate with the ships and direct their fire. The air force ensured the Germans couldn’t put planes in the air to harass or otherwise threaten the invasion, but Allied planes couldn’t support the fight on the beach; their main contribution would be in destroying targets inland that would help the advancing troops after they got past the beaches.
8) The landing stalled and all organization fell apart as soldiers, boats, and bodies jammed the single narrow channel engineers were able to clear among the German mines and obstacles. Trapped behind a low shelf halfway across the beach, under withering German fire from above, isolated groups and individuals with no choice but to get off the beach gradually fought their way forward and eventually took key points at each end of the beach. It took several hours, and heavy navy bombardment, to secure the beachhead, as well as a courageous effort by Army Rangers, men of C Company, and the 116th regiment to scale the surrounding cliffs with rope ladders to take out the guns guarding the coast.

For you guys to state that the US "mucked" up their landing on Omaha imo fails to look at the entire circumstances of that day.
Again sorry for being off topic, I will no longer hijack this thread. I guess that while mistakes were made by all parties(allies and axis) involved during D-Day the courage, tenacity, and determination of the ordinary grunt/dog faces involved would ultimate decide the contest, which frequently is the case in most conflicts.

I think the DH mod looks fantastic and I am very anxious for its release. From playing on the test server for Dog Green Beach as an US trooper with the artillery raining down all over the beach, withering mg fire and the pak guns ripping us apart I was able to sense just what an impossible struggle it must have been for those guys to get off the beach! You guys are doing a fantastic job on it, keep it up men!

Last edited:
Upvote 0