• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Converting KF1 Maps

Just wanted to give yo guys a lead on converting KF1 maps.

Ut3Converter allows you to port map as over various Unreal Engine versions. Using it I have successfully ported UT2004 maps to Ut3 and ported DM-Morpheus from Ut99 to kf1. The program will give in depth instructions for using the editors. Only problem we may run into is the kf2 editor is going to be much newer than the ut3 editor. Hope to see someone figure it out and get it working. Plenty of old classics I would like to see ported to kf2

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012

Just wanted to give yo guys a lead on converting KF1 maps.

Ut3Converter allows you to port map as over various Unreal Engine versions. Using it I have successfully ported UT2004 maps to Ut3 and ported DM-Morpheus from Ut99 to kf1. The program will give in depth instructions for using the editors. Only problem we may run into is the kf2 editor is going to be much newer than the ut3 editor. Hope to see someone figure it out and get it working. Plenty of old classics I would like to see ported to kf2

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012

I was just looking for this, the sad things of the PORTS are that people start to make awful ports, I'll definitely use this .

Upvote 0
So i got my map into KF2 UED with this, sort of. It originally was a Deus Ex map, so the mesh work is minimal and almost entire thing is bsp. I can see all my geometry intact, can build everything along with the lights without errors, but when i try to playtest it crashes the editor. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that original map was made in subtractive mode and KF2 editor works in additive. So i removed the original subtractive brush that was surrounding the entire level, but still no luck.
I also removed every mesh/trigger/waypoint/sound there is, but it also didn't help. It feels so close yet so far.

Upvote 0
So i got my map into KF2 UED with this, sort of. It originally was a Deus Ex map, so the mesh work is minimal and almost entire thing is bsp. I can see all my geometry intact, can build everything along with the lights without errors, but when i try to playtest it crashes the editor. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that original map was made in subtractive mode and KF2 editor works in additive. So i removed the original subtractive brush that was surrounding the entire level, but still no luck.
I also removed every mesh/trigger/waypoint/sound there is, but it also didn't help. It feels so close yet so far.
Take all the geometry and copy and paste it into a new map. Maybe there is a trigger that the game doesn't recognize and you missed. I had similar issues porting ut2004 maps to kf1. But yes you are close, its definitely doing its job if you got it into the editor. Make sure you follow the instructions in the program too.

Also the kf2 editor should have both subtractive and additive like ut3 did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This converter is pretty straightforward, but I'm fairly inexperienced in SDK.

I have two questions I hope can be answered.

1. Attempting to import the ASE staticmesh files into the KF2 SDK gives me an error stating that ASE is depreciated and to use FDX. Any idea how I can go about resolving this? Pixel seems to have had success, but I'm just not sure how.

2. No textures output after extraction into the specified folder. Are the textures attached to the staticmeshes themselves or am I doing it wrong?

I'm not using this tool to make a half assed port. I simply wanted to see if I could learn my way through SDK by attempting to port a map. It's been fun so far, but somewhat frustrating.
Any answers would be appreciated. :)

Upvote 0
Creating maps in KF2 is very easy. I suggest you just create new ones and maybe some remakes from the old game.

But for gods sake.... No more Doom2 shoddy stupid maps that have the look of 20 years ago which a 12 year old could create. 0 immersion, 0 fun.

Last thing we need is 500 servers running the same fcking map over and over again.

Create new stuff, and pay homage to the orginal old KF maps. Don't make another million defence/doom2 crap maps.

Upvote 0
The way I'm doing it is import the BSP as a SM, scale it 1.75 and use this as a guideline to build on top of that.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Never again...

Skatepark, gas station???

You realy want to polish those turds? You can do so much more cooler stuff with the new editor, why waste it on that.

Meh, I've seen Swift Brutal Death and RoBoT working in the editor. I rather wait for those maps then play rehashed versions of maps I didn't like before.

Each their own...

Upvote 0