• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander Training

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
One of the things Commanders need to learn is 'multi-tasking', and a great way to 'learn' is practice on 'empty' servers, with just 'bots' to command.

Learn how to use the command matrix, how to order troops to do what when.

Learn how to 'mark' as well as plan artillery strikes so you are not totally reliant on your team leaders. You can mark targets you can not see to a point if you know where the target is and you 'guestimate' your mark and if needed adjust till you 'find' it.

Learn how to sequence the maps and the 'time' frames you need for each map. For example on Bridges my pattern initially is B,A,C,D etc. From the spawn command building on game start I always mark 'A' for arty and fire it, by the time it arrives the bad guys are trying to get into the holes at A.
Timing of arty is also an 'art', you do not need to fire it immediately as you get it, but plan for 5 minutes in the future. Will you need to fire 'blocking' artillery to prevent free access to reinforce a 'cap', that is you place arty in a position where the enemy needs to move through to get to the 'cap' you are attacking or defending.

Learn how to use arty to counter attack, if we are about to lose a 'cap' I always mark that cap and as soon as it about to change fire it, wait 20sec and give attack cap order.

Count your volleys, always wait till 2 volleys left to order your troops into the area, by the time your troops react to the order, the last volley has landed, the enemy is still 'clearing their heads' and not in a good position to react to your counter attack.

Learn the impact radius of artillery, mortars, rockets, so you can position your troops in safe areas, but close enough to react to the needs once arty is done.

Being a Leader is all about time management, and these few 'practice' tips will develop the skills needed on each map.

On other 'training' tip for squad leaders. Commanders need a clear picture of the map. Unless a mark is requested by the Commander, or you ask for arty fire 'priority' keep the arty marks to a minimum. Once the maps get too clustered with arty request marks the situation for the Commander gets 'blurred'. It is up to the Commander to 'prioritize' targets.

Don't know haw many times in my line of sight I see a SL with binos, instead of commanding his troops, if I can see the target and have marked it, why is the SL doing the same?

Upvote 0
Don't know haw many times in my line of sight I see a SL with binos, instead of commanding his troops, if I can see the target and have marked it, why is the SL doing the same?

coz thats his job, dont forget he cant see any marks but his own on the map, maybe he doesnt know the other sls are putting marks down, maybe he doesnt know the tl has marked a spot, maybe he can see summat you cant, maybe hes played the game longer than you and can think ahead what they are going to do so is preempting it, maybe hes useless and just messing around, maybe hes highly experienced, maybe his mark is better placed that your mark.

as for squad level orders, its usually good enough in a pub if the squad members are spawning on him and the squad is in the same area going in the same way.

when your playing in your realism unit on a scrim, yes you can tell everyone their role down to the last detail, in a pub, just be glad people are using role fully and to their ability. because trust me its its alot worse when no one is using their role and your the only one who you can rely on for order and marks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting these tips.

I find the "training" maps and singleplayer useful in understanding the command widget, the several different ways/options to make arty marks and how the game works. Which gives a start to non commissioned and commissioned officer roles in the virtual military career in this game.

There is nothing better than playing under a good TL with good SL's to see what is possible with this game especially when opponents are well organised to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0