• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Churchill Tank

Gnasher

Jul 24, 2006
Sussex UK
I think this would be a really useful peice of kit to both RO (300+ mkIII & IV supplied on Lend Lease, used by Red Army @ Kursk) & also the forth coming mods.

The tank should be slow, but tough & only have the 57mm 6lb'er gun & Besa Mgs. I think this tank would provide some interesting gameplay & tactics for both sides. Allies would be well protected but have litte AT ability & Axis would have a tank that has good armour & is deadly on infantry. It'd work for Darkest Hour & Mare Nostrum too, so why not all of you dev teams get your heads together.;):D

The Crocodile (Flamethrower) version of the Churchill would be just awesome!

Is this just sh!t or do I have some milage?

I don't know about the Churchill but I know the Sherman was sent in some numbers, along with the Stuart. Both of those would be awesome to see. Only thing is because of how the Sherman has sloped armor on the front you might see Tiger rounds bouncing off

Hahaha no m8!:D An 88mm would go straight thru a Sherman & out the other side. Why do you think the Germans nicknamed them 'Ronsons' (They light 1st time...) & 'Tommy Cookers'?

Upvote 0
I would rather see the KV-1E and early war russian tanks.

I don't know about the Churchill but I know the Sherman was sent in some numbers, along with the Stuart. Both of those would be awesome to see. Only thing is because of how the Sherman has sloped armor on the front you might see Tiger rounds bouncing off :p
Sloped armor is over rated.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
More like:
"you might see 5 shermans outnumber a tiger so when he kills 3 there's time for 2 of them left to flank him and kill him."

My point exactly the Sherman had some good qualities but it was very inferior in comparison to the German armour it faced, good job the US factories could roll em out ten to the dozen!. Its pros were speed, mechanical reliability, & crew comfort, but it suffered from lack of armour & a gun that could compete with the German 75mm & 88mm guns.

As was incidently the Churchill BTW except it has brilliant cross country abilitities (can go up hills too steep for other tanks), is a great infantry tank.But if it meets a Panther it's got a problem, both tanks need to go for flank shots, although the Panther clearly has the advantage, the Churchill is not an easy kill either.

Upvote 0
More like:
"you might see 5 shermans outnumber a tiger so when he kills 3 there's time for 2 of them left to flank him and kill him."

exactly, 5 shermans in a line driving down a road, tiger shoot and the first is hit, the other tanks get jammed up behind it and attempt to move around and locate, the other 2 get shots while doing this while the last two flank and shoot the Tiger in the butt.
As for the Quality of the Shermans they were a good tank at the start when the British first started using teh Grants and Shermans, read Rommels reports for the day. They were freaking out when they first ran into them and because of how well they did grossly over estimated the number of tanks in teh attack. The sherman really didnt become that outclassed until 1944 when the Germans had a high number of Tigers and Panthers in Normandy.

as for the Churchill there are other Lend Lease tanks which are more deserving.

An example is the 3332 Valentine tanks which were supplied from Canada and the UK (1400 from Canada was the 2prd, the rest from the UK with the 2 and 6 prd) or the Sherman which had something like 3664 tanks.

Note: These are rough numbers that I havent really checked over.

Upvote 0
M
As was incidently the Churchill BTW except it has brilliant cross country abilitities (can go up hills too steep for other tanks), is a great infantry tank.But if it meets a Panther it's got a problem, both tanks need to go for flank shots, although the Panther clearly has the advantage, the Churchill is not an easy kill either.
FYI: A Panther can penetrate a churchills front armor at 2000 meters.

Upvote 0
I hate it when people instantly see sloped armour and say, ' LOL SUPER SHIELD ALL BOUNCE OFF THE ARMOUR'. The sherman has thin as **** armour, if you double that and fire a 88 on it, it will go threw it. 88 rounds could even enter the front and exit the back end on the Sherman.

An angled T34 was impervious to a Tigers main gun at 200 meters, but only if it was angled. This is a fact.

Upvote 0
An angled T34 was impervious to a Tigers main gun at 200 meters, but only if it was angled. This is a fact.

In RO maybe. I've read numerous reports from dozens of Russian tank crews saying the Tigers cannon could penetrate the armour at an un-matchable range. Getting a bouncer would be pure bloody lucky.

Please provide a source if you know otherwise.

Upvote 0