• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Chainsaw tips?

• Use prim. fire to slice Crawlers in mid-air.
  • Any difficulty higher than Normal renders prim. fire rather useless against most Specimen, cuz it won't stun.
  • Don't stray. Always have at least one teammate with you, preferably a medic.
  • Once you've hit lvl 5/6, you can defend doorways on your own. Just wait in it's right/left, crouch and hold down sec. fire. Specimen are slow at turning. They will be dead before they can harm you. Also works on staircases and plain corners.
That's about it.

Upvote 0
  • Any difficulty higher than Normal renders prim. fire rather useless against most Specimen, cuz it won't stun.

Damn, well that's no fun....I always thought the point of the chainsaw was to hold the blade to a crowd of zeds and grrrriiiiiinnnnndddddd..... :(

I mean, if you're using secondary fire and swinging the thing, why not just use a katana? It does the same job....not to mention katanas are cooler too. :troll:

Upvote 0
chainsaw tip #1: sell it!

it was buffed, yes, but it's still too inferior to katana + axe ...

The Chainsaw really needs to have it's price jacked up to be equal with the other Tier 3 weapons, and have it's effectiveness greatly increased. It should be THE melee weapon, combining the trash killing of the Katana with it's primary and the big hits of the Fire Axe with it's alt, while making you move slower and have a shorter reach as a compromise.

As it is, it's overshadowed by the Katana+Axe Combo, unwieldy as that combo is, and it's only real use is Wave 1 Clot Massacres, then being sold so you can afford said Katana+Axe Combo. It has it's (Very few) uses, but for the most part, it's a useless weapon right now.

Nah, it's comically useless unperked.

Definitely is. Any other class with a chainsaw moves hilariously slow and does very little real damage. Chainsaw medics are basically dead weight (Often literally!) on a team.

/thread.

Isn't the DPS greater for the alt fire on the chainsaw than it is the Axe? :confused:

It's about the same. But the damage PER HIT is much, much greater for the axe, so it can 1-shot things that you can't with the Chainsaw's alt and stun Scrakes on all difficulty levels. This makes it pretty much essential.

Upvote 0
During the beta the chainsaw was pretty good, unfortunately I joined a server with Oliver and some others playing, where half of the team were just camping a single doorway with chainsaws (for the entire game). You can't really judge the balance of a weapon based on such cheap tactics.

If it were up to me I'd buff it again and add some sort of drawback such as chain health, fuel limit, or overheating.

Reactions: Deafmute
Upvote 0
The only couples times i have see the chain saw do really anything is ethier in tight area where you can dodge husks to avoid ranged dmg. sit and crouch below your team mates holding mobs off while chaining m1 and alt fire when needed for bigger targets that get close. Finally watching a whole team of berserkers doing the wave of the pattys face when he attacks.

Upvote 0