• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can the Gorefast parry katana swings?

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Because if not, it'd be pretty badass to have a short duel with a top-difficulty Gorefast, especially with those sweetass directional katana swings.

Just a thought. His parries could be a product of chance/circumstance rather than an all-the-time thing.

I thought it would be cool, because in KF1 the zerk cuts through trash like butter, but having a trash zed interrupt him and demand more caution/effort/concentration would not only be a decent balance point, but awesome.

SWORD FIGHTING WITH JAWLESS SKINNED MEAN FREAKS, HOW AWESOME
6ab7134de4.jpg

I originally phrased this as a question, but it may as well be put into Ideas & Suggestions. Sorry.

Last edited:
They better allow enemies like Gorefasts, Husks, Scrakes & Fleshpounds parry at difficulties higher than Normal.

I know it's way too early to seriously talk perk balance, but I already feel like the ZEDs are gonna need something like this to counter Beserkers.

I already consider Beserker the best perk in KF1 (At the very least it's the king of Pub games) with it's ability to kite 200+ ZEDs should the other perks wipe. None of the gun perks can dream of taking on 200 specimens at once and living to tell the tale. Now it's getting Blocking and parrying. Things could get unbalenced fast.

Upvote 0
Exactly what IceFairy said.

Zerk sounds like its gonna take more work to play as with the new controls. However, KF1 Zeds have been akin to whack-a-moles in melee combat but if the Zeds become fearsome melee opponents that you may not even damage due to parrying (Gorefast and Scrake especially), that'd be pretty swell.

Not only will trash hordes harden up a bit against the zerker, Scrakes could have a chance to cause a failure to melee stunlocking depending on the difficulty.

It'll also be outright awesome, so no-one will complain. Just imagine taking your usual swing at a Gorefast, and PING, it just knocked your friggin' blade away back to you and took no damage.

You'll be able to have an ACTUAL SWORD FIGHT with the Gorefast. You could potentially do the same with the Scrake. Maybe you could grind chainsaws with him.

It'd be insane to not at least WANT to implement this.

Upvote 0
git gud

Joking aside, kiting is possible with every perk. You just need to be extra careful and a bit lucky.

Spoiler!

I know all the classes can technically pull it off if your a god like player, that's why I put In the comment about pub games, but it's ten times easier doing it as a Zerk so a huge chunk of pub games devolve into an All-Zerk run.

For me, it's less about being easy or hard, I just want balance. I'm so tired of going on Killing Floor thinking "I think I'm gonna play a little support today" the proceed to connect to five straight servers running 5 Zerks, Maybe a Medic, and your getting kicked if your any other perk because that makes it ten times harder.

Every perk should have roughly the same chance of success. (and again, I'll clarify: in Pub games. I know a good team can win with any perk.)

Exactly what IceFairy said.

Zerk sounds like its gonna take more work to play as with the new controls.

This is what leaves me hopeful. All talk about the Beserker in KF2 sounds like it's more then just hold M1 for trash, aim roughly for head to stun big guys. There might be some actual combat now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If we're talking about having the perks equally competent in a pub game, I hope we're talking about bringing the zerker down.

Gorefast and Scrake parries could create a window of opportunity for Zeds to take a swipe at zerk, that he could potentially avoid unless he's blocked by a wall or something.

Right now, the zerker is an ever-swinging wall of death. Making the zed's own swordsmen a unique threat to him will do so much.

Upvote 0
This would add more space for skill to grow if certain zeds could parry. Thus even longer longevity in the long run.
Maybe a gorefast in a pack would be more likely to parry if it notices clots and other cannonfodder gets turned into sashimi by player.
A heavy attack would break a parry while light attacks would simply make your melee weapon vibrate and make you defenseless for a half second.

Upvote 0
This would add more space for skill to grow if certain zeds could parry. Thus even longer longevity in the long run.
Maybe a gorefast in a pack would be more likely to parry if it notices clots and other cannonfodder gets turned into sashimi by player.
A heavy attack would break a parry while light attacks would simply make your melee weapon vibrate and make you defenseless for a half second.

I think it'd be like:

If you were fighting an individual gorefast one-on-one, it probably won't hit you immediately. So you take a swing, and it parries. Immediately it does a counter-swing where you either quickly step back or parry it yourself. Then you have to swing again, but you gotta try and get good timing so you don't get hit, or parried. Parrying the Gorefast's blade could give you a window of opportunity to hit him and kill him, but the window of opportunity given to you can vary depending on the parry's timing.

If you were fighting a GROUP of Zeds, the Gorefast has a chance to create a minor interruption to your attacks to the group due to it either parrying you, or you having to parry it (providing it can reach you, obviously). This'll make a Slasher, Cyst, or Clot take a swing at you due to having your next attack delayed.

This will create a very unique weakness for the Berzerker.

You could make up for it by doing the following:

• If you get parried and your next attack gets interrupted, quickly take a step back. You'd better not be cornered! Rely on positioning and footwork like swordsmen did all those years ago.
  • See a Gorefast, just whip out your handcannon and brain him.
  • One of your mates may do the above for you.
  • Try to kill all the other zeds before moving onto the Gorefast.
  • It's safe to assume that the Gorefast would have a hard time parrying a sledgehammer, big ol' axe, or a chainsaw. The Scrake may have something to say about the chainsaw, however.

Upvote 0
I just had a mental image of a berzerker and a gorefast clanging their blades away (realistically, not something you should ever do with a KATANA but that would be realism and not coolism so whatever. cling clang) and then they're interrupted by the heavy breathing of the Fleshpound they just backed up into.

In all seriousness, I'm going to say yes to this idea, but in a limited degree?

I think that Zeds (the ones with hard bits on them anyway) should have blocking postures they'll sometimes take on between attacks, (maybe even giving small, partial cover to lighter gunfire) but I think you should always be able to stab them IF you're paying attention and attack from the right direction.

If they can do full parries regardless of attack angle, that would make 'zerkers have to rely on good timing, which would be great in a single-player game but it would make Berzerker IMPOSSIBLE to play in higher ping servers. :(

One thing we have to keep in mind, now that the Zeds are faster and more tricky, it will probably be MUCH harder to kite them with melee; they're probably going to be much better at circling around and flanking us instead of single-file marching into their bladed demise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dunno, I don't think that's a very good idea...

I mean, the rest of the Zeds aren't just going to watch you duke it out with Screamy McBladearm, while you duel with the Gorefast, there's going to be a Crawler eating your kneecaps, a Clot fondling your privates, a Siren singing you a beautiful serenade, and a Scrake is going to Ash Williams on your ***.

And TBH, I already find the Zerker a pretty crappy class. Yeah, he can kite everything forever, but you have to stop the flow of your killing spree every five seconds because a Bloat is getting close, or a Husk shot you, or a Fleshpound appeared. Crawlers alone take all the fun out of it by forcing you to drop everything in order to kill them.

Upvote 0
I don't know, I don't like the idea of a trash-tier zed being able to completely stonewall a certain class's only reliable way of attacking. It wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to introduce SOME way of slowing down a Zerker's ability to immediately shred 7/10 things in front of it*, but having a "spar" a comparatively weak and common enemy - ALL of them that happen to show up - just doesn't sound fun. I say "fun" rather than "balanced", because no one should be talking balance without even having game-play footage to refer to (unless someone suggests something totally ridiculous, but that's a given).

*When I first heard about flinging blood off your blade, I believed that if your blade(/blunt?) accumulated too much gore on it, it would slow down your swing speed. I thought that this could be a brilliant way to hinder the Zerker without outright nerfing him - he could continue to attack indefinately at all times, but for optimal damage output, he'd have to take about 2 seconds, just a quick fling, to clean his weapon. So long as he doesn't have to do it TOO often, I thought this was a perfect approach to balance.

Upvote 0