• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Calling all gun nuts

Best way to make a gun sound is to mix it. It's just too much of a PITA to capture the quick punch of a gun firing with a microphone. You need perfect conditions and even more perfect equipment. Good luck with it :)
Maybe easiest but not "best". I hear all these gun sounds in actual clips and think man that'd be awesome to put in the game if only it didn't have reverb and wasn't recorded on a portable video cams integrated cheapo mic. I can list alot of RO's gun sounds that I really don't like at all and sound almost nothing like a real gun. RO's distant sounds that play when you hear gunfire from afar are excellent though. A portable laptop PC + a fairly good mic + a PC audio recording program (such as the completely free and awesome "Audacity") and you could have some pretty good stuff if you know what you're doing.

Upvote 0
Recording truly realistic gunfire sounds is nearly impossible. Each and every shot will sound different from the last. A shot fired prone sounds different than one fired offhand. One fired in a street between multistory buildings sounds different than one fired in open terrain. Shots fired over deep snow sound entirely different than shots fired over knee-high grass. Every single rifle, pistol, machinegun, submachinegun, tank cannon, etc., sounds different from one another, even if they are the exact same make and model.

If you want average sounds you need to have an example of each and every gun used in the game. You would also need access to an anechoic chamber in order to record the pure sound of the gunshot. That recorded sound would then have to be sampled against gunshots recorded in every possible environment. Only then can a sound engineer begin to create a sound file that bears any resemblance to the real thing. Needless to say this entire process would be so costly that it would easily eat far more than even the biggest game company's possible developmental budget.

The sounds we have are good. Not perfect, but good. The only real gripe I've ever had is the sound of the G.41 and G.43. All the rest I can live with.

Upvote 0
Boo Boo - in game there is the possibility to provide unique characteristics to each sound that occurs in any zone - there are dozens of parameters that can be tweaked and also dozens of presets.

They may not be used that much in the maps - particularly custom maps - but they are there. so the Unreal Engine takes care of one of the levels of complexity you are talking about.

BTW User name - any chance of upping those sounds this weekend?

Upvote 0
Boo Boo - in game there is the possibility to provide unique characteristics to each sound that occurs in any zone - there are dozens of parameters that can be tweaked and also dozens of presets.

They may not be used that much in the maps - particularly custom maps - but they are there. so the Unreal Engine takes care of one of the levels of complexity you are talking about.

BTW User name - any chance of upping those sounds this weekend?

Yep, I sent you a PM.

Upvote 0
dont know but doesnt a G98 and a Kar98K sound different?

Most likely, as they have a different size barrel, shorter barrels tend to make a more bassy "Boom" sound, like an explosion, longer barrels a more agressive "Crack" sound, allmost a metallic kind of sound actually.

The difference in barrel length is certainly enough that this should be a factor.

Upvote 0
I've fired both and i can't honestly tell the difference, mostly all long arms even between the Enfield and Mauser and Mosin's firing. However the bolt sounds are very distinctivly different. Gunshots in game's never sound the same as the ones in real life (they don't hut ingame for example :D) so the biggest concern imo, is getting the proper reloading sounds, and getting 'cool' gunshot noise

Upvote 0
I've fired both and i can't honestly tell the difference, mostly all long arms even between the Enfield and Mauser and Mosin's firing. However the bolt sounds are very distinctivly different. Gunshots in game's never sound the same as the ones in real life (they don't hut ingame for example :D) so the biggest concern imo, is getting the proper reloading sounds, and getting 'cool' gunshot noise

Well, whilst it would not be a good idea to blast 160 Decibel's worth of gunshot sound out of peoples headphones :)eek:!), i hope you dont mean "cool" as in "OMG big boom aer cool!".

Nothings worse than fiering a rifle in a game, and then be greeted by a recording of a 500kg aircraft bomb exploding instead of the crack of a rifel.

Upvote 0
I used to run a rehersal studio for rock bands for about three years, a did a little recording of my band and some demos for ppl. The type of mic you use is important. Take a kick drum- the sound pressure level in front od the skin can reach 145dB SPL easily. If you use a microphone that can only tolorate say 135dBSPL then you will physically overdrive the diaphram in the mic, and damage it. The sound will be distorted, as was pointed out earlier.

Not sure how much SPl there will be at 1 meter from a gun muzzle but the mic will need to be able to handle it.

Upvote 0
Well, as I mentioned before, the recording of the actual gunshot is like the foundation of the sound and then I layer on a load of stuff to make it more in keeping with RO's gunshot sounds in general.

Now I have figured out what it is, rather than tearing my hair out listening in vain for the bolt up and down sounds, the bolt sound is, as Zoring says, pure gold.

When you guys have successfully dropped a Russian Naval infantryman coming off the beaches at Dofinovka, or have let off a snapshot in the misty streets of Nalchik, and are chambering your next round bear in mind that you are directly hearing Username doing it for you :)

That's what's cool about this community :D

Upvote 0
Well, as I mentioned before, the recording of the actual gunshot is like the foundation of the sound and then I layer on a load of stuff to make it more in keeping with RO's gunshot sounds in general.

Now I have figured out what it is, rather than tearing my hair out listening in vain for the bolt up and down sounds, the bolt sound is, as Zoring says, pure gold.

When you guys have successfully dropped a Russian Naval infantryman coming off the beaches at Dofinovka, or have let off a snapshot in the misty streets of Nalchik, and are chambering your next round bear in mind that you are directly hearing Username doing it for you :)

That's what's cool about this community :D

...and this is the rifle you'll be hearing!:D
Budapest9534.jpg

I have both a carbine, and a long rifle, but since it's for WWII, I used this one.

Man I'd almost completely forgot I'd done that. I'm glad I could help though.

Most military rifles from this period sound alot alike when fired. They were all nearly the same caliber, (between .30, and .329 IIRC) and didn't vary too much in the size of the charge either. It was mainly barrel length that made the differance.

Here is a video of an M44...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clz3ZAP1JNU

...a 98k...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4WpWdp7fg4

...and a No. 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWiKTqlhWo

They do sound pretty much the same. Although the M44 seems to have a little more bass. It also has the shortest barrel of the three.

Last edited:
Upvote 0