• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buttsmacking

merder

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006
California
I remember, back in the good old days of 3.3 that melee combat involved swinging the butt of your rifle out to hit your enemy rather than bringing it down, like in the current version.

I recall a thread from some time ago saying that it was unrealistic for a soldier to lift the butt of his rifle and basically charge a shot before lowering it into someone's head, and that the quick, swinging the butt outwards action seemed to fit the frenzy of combat more closely.

However, both could be potentially done in combat, so why NOT do both?
The first click of the middle mouse button would make the soldier swing the butt of the rifle out from his shoulder to hit his enemy and knock him down. Then, if the button is still depressed, the current buttsmack action would be implemented afterwards in order to pummel your foe.

Well I for one am all for this. The current way just seems a bit awkward to me, i just think that when i'm holding a gun, it makes more sense to swing the butt out rather than bring it over my other shoulder first(losing time in the process), your right arm is bent at a great angle for this too. Besides it looks cool.

In any case, i fully support this.

Upvote 0
They won't be changing it in this game. Basically melee attacks are handled like shots, but with a very short range. Since they're effectively bullets, you'll only do damage to the point where your invisible cursor is. If that's not on target, then you'll miss. The current animation gets that point across and makes it believable when you miss. A swipe though gets very confusing, very fast. You swing and clearly see it rake across someone's face, but they take no damage because you weren't centred on them. This can only be fixed with a complete recode of the buttsmack system (like what PVKII has done for their upcoming new version) and that's too much like hard work to add to RO at this stage. Perhaps in RO2 you'll get lucky, but for now, the current animation's the most accurate representation of where the damage is being projected.

Upvote 0
Well if you wan't it like that then we should also be able to fight over weapons get them knocked out of our hands and do real meele combat. IE two mean attacking with beyonets and trying to stab the other only to have that man kick em in the crotch, knocking the other guy on his back, and then finishing him off with a forcefull stab to the heart. IE I don't wan't to get that realistic. IE COD3 had this stuff in SP while it was cool and inventive, the first time it happened to me I almost jumped out of my skin! It was like wholy crap I'm fighting for my life here! BTW whats to stop another player from simply walking up to you online and shooting you in the back/stabing you to help his buddy?

Also whats to stop a tank in CA map from ruining your meele fun by shooting you both in the back? As realsitic as it would be real life combat like that is just too dynamic at this point in the gameing world to do proporly. IE a Nintendo Wii controler scheme could do it but with the PCs keyboard/mouse set up it would be impossable to implement and have it not be totaly artafical.

Upvote 0