• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots totally destroy the RO2 Playerbase/Community

What if no XP would be gained by killing bots (no class XP, no weapon XP and no honor XP). Would that help? I believe players will look for servers with humans and not all stay on the same team but spread out more evenly.
leave it to you to say the only thing that would really fix the problem.:)

p.s. bots didn't destroy the community. they held what little that was left together, when the guys who didn't get what they wanted at release, abandoned us to play something else.
it's always been simple. find a server with player numbers. make sure they are humans. (takes a split second) sign onto server. save server in your favorites.
the way twi is going to show how many players are human and how many are bots in the patch will make it even easier. if they also give us a bot filter, even better.
seven months of moaning about bots is a bit much, isn't it?

they aren't going anywhere. stop persecuting them!;)

Upvote 0
Silly question, aren't Bots only half XP now or is that something new in the Beta? Or is that something I misheard and am completely wrong about?
interesting. i hadn't heard that nor noticed, but i've been busy on rs and haven't been on the beta much lately. it's an interesting idea. might be something to think about before going to duckys idea of no points for them at all.

Upvote 0
the way twi is going to show how many players are human and how many are bots in the patch will make it even easier. if they also give us a bot filter, even better.
seven months of moaning about bots is a bit much, isn't it?

I received a warning for discussing BOTS but since the mod who gave me the warning has posted in this thread about BOTS since that time, I should be able to say something with immunity.
If you don't see me after this, then I guess I got the ban boot.

It's funny how many belittle those who don't like BOTS but look what seven months of moaning about bots has led to.....a solution. A solution that will placate many people but I doubt it will bring players back. Why...read on.

Everyone says things about the low player numbers in RO2, well gee, the player numbers on RO aren't through the roof either and there are no BOTs in that game. I don't blame BOTs for lack of players, it's all the other stuff that was wrong with the game that chased players away. Players want to be able to play right out of the box but when they can't, they move on because there are many other games to play. How does that get fixed, perhaps a bigger "REAL BETA TESTING" community, one where bugs are looked for and not where players go to play a different version of the game. When I was with the Visioneers (a beta testing only community) we TESTED games, we didn't play them. Some of the bugs found on launch just should not have been in the game, especially when we waited for a long time to get our hands on this game.
It's just like the FREE game America's Army. It introduced an entirely new game style in their latest version and players scattered from that sinking franchise faster than you could spell RAT, why, not because of the new style but because it was so bug ridden that those players who did stick with it wanted to call the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, GA, USA

Having said all this, I can also see the future and it is one which will never have large numbers of players enjoying this game and it's mods but it will be a dedicated community just as RO and DH are dedicated. I just hope the 2 mods we anticipate the most come out of the blocks in better shape than their mother game.

Upvote 0
I don't think we'll ever agree on what is less worse of two bad situations, so why bother going on about it?

We have gotten a great solution from TWI, so let's be happy about that together as that is something we will all enjoy!

In fact it might even be so that me and Mike Nomad could be happy together with this change (I know I am), and that says a lot!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think we'll ever agree on what is less worse of two bad situations, so why bother going on about it?

We have gotten a great solution from TWI, so let's be happy about that together as that is something we will all enjoy!

In fact it might even be so what me and Mike Nomad could be happy together with this change (I know I am), and that says a lot!

You got it brother.... I'm overjoyed!! :)

Upvote 0
Have you ever considered that playing with bots is incredibly boring and that it actually keeps people away from the game if they don't see a convenient way to filter bots from players.

Luckily the beta server browser already shows what number of the slots are occupied by bots, and with bot mutators around they scale down as players join. The only thing that's left now is to stop people gaining XP from bots, and roll out the progress in the beta to the main game.

And since many people are waiting for this to happen, I don't think player numbers are going to be an issue. Especially considering the free weekend is a week after that.

Bots have always left servers as people joined = and if your pinning all your hopes on dropping bots to suddenly bring in loads of players your not being very realistic. As for bots being boring I dont know but I do know sitting on an empty servers is boring.

You've always been able to see real players from bots you just look in bottom window.

Upvote 0
@Cliffs, sorry if you thought i was accusing you of moaning. i didn't mean that. i just find it hard to beleive that every time i log on, there's more threads and posts about them. most comments are completly off-base as well.
you are right though. if it weren't for the threads, TWI would probably have left it as it was. that would not be good.
CDC? too funny!:p

Upvote 0
@Cliffs, sorry if you thought i was accusing you of moaning. i didn't mean that. i just find it hard to beleive that every time i log on, there's more threads and posts about them. most comments are completly off-base as well.
you are right though. if it weren't for the threads, TWI would probably have left it as it was. that would not be good.
CDC? too funny!:p

Misrepresentation of the accused. I did not think you were singling me out as I was not doing same to you. I just used your post to bring up that point. I agree we should just let this go for now and see what the devs come up with, they do and have always listened to the community no matter how big or small we are.

I have also been informed that my warning had been overturned but I was not aware at the time I posted above. Thanks to the mods here and c'mon boys and girls...let's go have fun playing RO/RO2.

Upvote 0
In general, I've always been against bots. They have always made me less likely to join a server. Last night I played a few maps in a server with about 5-10 human players and the rest bots. It must have been close to 60 players including the bots. It was actually a lot of fun! I was playing with one friend, and that made it more fun. We were having a blast because the bots are so stupid it made it into a big turkey shoot. Playing Fallen Fighters was hilarious. The bots scramble around like chickens with their heads cut off. If you shoot too far in front of them, they turn and run the other way, then you shoot in front again and they turn back again like ducks in a shooting gallery.

Now will this make me join a server in the future? No, not if there is a server that is full of human players, but I may play the game a little more now after all the servers dry up late at night. Playing against bots was fun last night, but it was more of a silly fun for cheap laughs, and not something that would keep me interested in the game on a regular basis.

One observation: kills against bots shouldn't count for ranking weapons/roles. It's too freakin' easy. In a normal game against humans, I might get 20-30 kills. Against bots I was getting 60-80 and levelling weapons like crazy. It felt like I was cheating the system. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Bots have always left servers as people joined = and if your pinning all your hopes on dropping bots to suddenly bring in loads of players your not being very realistic. As for bots being boring I dont know but I do know sitting on an empty servers is boring.

You've always been able to see real players from bots you just look in bottom window.

I'm afraid you don't get the point. For a server to fill, there needs to be an initial number of players to start with. Let's say 3 people simultaneously join the server.

At that point they are still playing with 8 or more bots, with such a large number of bots compared to players, the gameplay is still stale and extremely boring. For gameplay to be exciting, the number of human players should be bigger than the number of bots to begin with.

As a result people are tempted to leave before a server can even fill to decent numbers to sustain itself. Just like you need money to get money, you also need people to get more people.

Also have you played the beta? No bots there(if the server is properly filled), and I've noticed that if there are players online, they will generally flock to that server. Often filling pretty decently once they get past the initial bots.

I'm sure you would agree with me that manually checking the amount of human players manually for each server in a server list with a few dozen or more servers filled with bots is quite a chore. Especially considering that the number of players isn't even accurate 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Wow. Didn't hear about bots being worth half XP. If that is true, VERY cool. Let's be honest, if people are gonna farm rank, they'll do it. No sense spending too much resources preventing that. But killing a bot should count for something at least.

I still don't know why this topic is so popular though. We made the case against bots a LONG time ago and TW has solutions on the way:

1. Server browser that counts bots.
2. Bots worth half XP.
3. AI improvements in future? :)

Upvote 0