• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Bots don't care about AssaultPaths

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
this is about an UT2004 map of mine, but I figured it's the same engine and all and some of you might even have mapped for UT2004 before coming over to RO so here it goes. Maybe you can help me out:

My bots only take one route to the flag and another on the way home so I looked around a bit and found Blitz's tutorial about botpathing. I learned about AssaultPaths there and used them as described in the tutorial.

I just let the bots play a test-match now, but they simply don't give a darn about the AssaultPaths. It's like they weren't even there at all.

What can I do about that? Where could I have made a mistake?

Thanks in advance!

Hell, I'm a noob in AI stuff, but on Smolensk I wanted the bots to evenly use the assault paths (so that they would spread out more) so I put four assault paths near each objective and gave them a priority of 0.25. Back then I thought that the priority is the same as percentage of bots that will use the path, but I don't know for sure. So that percentage thing is probably false :p

Fiddle around with the settings is all I can say. You better ask someone more experienced than I.

Upvote 0
I see.

I have four AssaultPaths with one path consisting of two AssaultPath Actors and the other two of one each. I gave all the ones with the starting location number values that add up to 100% or "1" now.

However, they still only use their one favorite attack route. Their way back is and was pretty varied though.

I'll fiddle on now. I'll report back as soon as I figure this out.

EDIT:
I fixed a few minor BSP holes yesterday evening and changed the paths and flags so that the Tag of the flag matches the objective tag of the paths. Further I took a look at CTF-Twintombs and there are AssaultPaths at each entrance to the bases and their priority values are all "1"!
Apparently if all of them are set to 1 the bots will just chose one at random and you only need to change the values if you really want your bots to take some paths more often than others. That's not the case for me so I changed this to "1" for all my paths. Strange enough it now seems to work.

I can confirm that Blitz was right and it's the Tag, not the name or anything. What exactly made them work for me now I don't now. Maybe faulty values are worse than just leaving the priorities to 1 and I had faulty values before? Could be, because every AssaultPath had multiple paths assigned to it.

Anyway, it works now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0