• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bolt action and sniper

Napkin

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
Can anyone give me any insight on damage bolt action and bolt action sniper does?

I hope that chest, neck and head are a 1 shot kill. Especially for close quater combat with no x it would be very annoying to hit someone in the chest and they mow you down with a sub machine gun.

Thats one of the things i hated about call of duty ww2. It may have changed after beta, i wouldn't know i never bought it.

No one probably knows the damage of bolts in RO2, what was it like in RO?

In RO rifles will pretty much kill you in 1 hit with a hit to the head or chest. Leg and arm shots are generally survivable. Weapons firing pistol calibers (pistols, smgs) are generally less powerful and may not kill as quickly.

In HoS there will be three types of wounds:

A hit to a critical area (brain, heart, etc) will be an instant kill.

A hit to a vital area (lungs, stomach, etc) will be a slow death; your avatar will die over the course of a few seconds.

A hit to a non-vital area will cause damage and will bleed out, unless you bandage it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ro1 was very leathal, a rifle round to the torso or head would result in instant death, but grasing shots (fleshwounds) where survivable, and it would take 2 shots to arms and legs to kill.
Getting hit in the hand would also result in you dropping the weapon you where holding in said hand (you could pick it right back up again, but by then it could be too late for you if your teammates didn't have your back).

Pistols/SMG's generally killed in 2 or 3 torso hits, or 1 to the head, and maybe.. 5 or so hits in arms and legs.

So yeah, Ro1 guns where dangerous and accurate, which is why even on pub servers, players usually didn't engage in silly Rambo tactics, as thouse where far more likely to get you killed, than they where to get you any kills, having the guns this realistic created it's own natural game balance, and forced players to think tactically, use their surroundings smartly, and rely on their teammates, but they where't free kills either, hit placement did matter, so beeing a good shot was a needed skill, and there was challenge to it.

Ro2 obviously aims to keep this system intact, but also to expand on it, and make it even better and more detailed, see Bob's post above.

So yeah, you can expect to die right quick if you do something dumb and risky, but likewise, if you play smart, you will reap the rewards of your cunning and skill, that's what makes RO stand out and why so many of us got addicted to it, the game just has a great natural balance amongst the classes, that doesen't rely on silly gimmicks or slight of hand, and creates a natural need for teamplay and tactics.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In RO rifles will pretty much kill you in 1 hit with a hit to the head or chest. Leg and arm shots are generally survivable. Weapons firing pistol calibers (pistols, smgs) are generally less powerful and may not kill as quickly.

In HoS there will be three types of wounds:

A hit to a critical area (brain, heart, etc) will be an instant kill.

A hit to a vital area (lungs, stomach, etc) will be a slow death; your avatar will die over the course of a few seconds.

A hit to a non-vital area will cause damage and will bleed out, unless you bandage it.

I would very much appreciate it if shots into your legs would cause you to fall to the ground rather just standing there or even moving on slowly. What ya say Bobdog, is this possible?

Upvote 0
not a fan of the slow death effect.... i think it should be removed

Any particular reason?

BTW: I would expect even higher fidelity in ROHOS when it comes to damage. Ramm mentioned they're modeling the skeletal system, and presumably soft tissue (muscle / tendons) too. That would really only be an issue in non insta kill shots - limbs or pistol rounds to the main body. I would expect to have consequences of the hits depending on if it's a bone shattering hit, or just a flesh wound. For example, a bullet through the hamstring will make it impossible to run, and difficult to stand, but a bullet through the femur will make either impossible, rending you combat ineffective/dead.

I'd be surprised if they went as far as modeling the major arteries and veins. A hit to the femoral artery means bleed out and unconsciousness in under half a minute. You can't really bandage that up either - so that would be modeled as a slow death, I would think.

So those are 3 scenarios all hitting the thigh. Each with a different outcome - bleeding injury, insta death, and slow death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any particular reason?

BTW: I would expect even higher fidelity in ROHOS when it comes to damage. Ramm mentioned they're modeling the skeletal system, and presumably soft tissue (muscle / tendons) too. That would really only be an issue in non insta kill shots - limbs or pistol rounds to the main body. I would expect to have consequences of the hits depending on if it's a bone shattering hit, or just a flesh wound. For example, a bullet through the hamstring will make it impossible to run, and difficult to stand, but a bullet through the femur will make either impossible, rending you combat ineffective/dead.

I'd be surprised if they went as far as modeling the major arteries and veins. A hit to the femoral artery means bleed out and unconsciousness in under half a minute. You can't really bandage that up either - so that would be modeled as a slow death, I would think.

So those are 3 scenarios all hitting the thigh. Each with a different outcome - bleeding injury, insta death, and slow death.

usually when you get a critical wound where you die in the next 4 seconds, you are not gonna be trying to aim and kill anyone. that happens only in the movies. if you get hit in the chest you go into shock instantly and die in the next few seconds. I don't see anyone in shock doing anything productive in the few seconds before they die.

I think its unnecessary and will lead to you kill someone and they kill you back. its already annoying in BC2 and it happens fairly rarely

Upvote 0
usually when you get a critical wound where you die in the next 4 seconds, you are not gonna be trying to aim and kill anyone. that happens only in the movies. if you get hit in the chest you go into shock instantly and die in the next few seconds. I don't see anyone in shock doing anything productive in the few seconds before they die.

I think its unnecessary and will lead to you kill someone and they kill you back. its already annoying in BC2 and it happens fairly rarely

I wouldn't know what happens usually, as I've never been critically shot, nor have I ever been in actual combat to see someone get critically shot and die in 4 seconds. Maybe some of the vets here could comment on that.

Anyway, just to clarify, you don't necessarily die when you "die" in RO. Game death also includes incapacitation. Most casualties in WWII weren't deaths, but were incapacitated wounded (something like 20% of those wounded in battled died).

With that in mind, much more likely somebody can get off a shot before they pass out, or don't have the strength to hold themselves up anymore.

BTW: Jurementados in the Philippines during the insurrection were known to have taken 6 .38 slugs to the chest and continue forward and decapitate their killer with a sword. Legend has it, it lead to reissuing of leather line collars for the Marines (leathernecks), and issuing of the .45 Colt 1911 for more stopping power to the area. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra doesn't actually model death; it models combat ineffectiveness. The player's avatar isn't necessarily dead when the player is sent to the respawn queue; if the avatar would have lost consciousness, or would otherwise be unable to fight (paralyzed, etc.) he is combat ineffective and the player goes to respawn.

Going into shock would render a soldier combat ineffective, but shock requires significant blood loss. This will take some time unless the soldier is hit in a major blood vessel. That is what slow death is modeling; the soldier is shot, but has not gone into shock yet. As he loses blood, he goes into shock, and the screen fades to black, at which point he is combat ineffective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0