• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Body collision

Body collision

• We should have body collision at all times.

Votes: 142 49.0%
  • We should have body collision outside spawn areas (no body collsion inside spawn areas).

Votes: 89 30.7%
  • No body collision at all times, it works out better that way.

Votes: 59 20.3%

• Total voters
I made a typo, I meant to say pools not polls. Just noticed. + I dont care about negative rep on the forums. I enjoy the game...well what ever is left of it sadly. And when it's time I'll just move on another failure of a game thats launching soon. Guild Wars 2 or should I say a remake of Aion.

Anybody notice this cloning trend of video games as of lately? I haven't played a pure game in years. I guess w/e sells, I should know I work in sales lol.

Upvote 0
I'd be tempted to go for "TESTING body collision in the new uber-realism mode", but since the current options relate to globally affecting all RO2 players, I'll refrain from voting :)

I would definitely like to see - at the least - a "test" version of this when the new realism mode starts to appear. This is because I can't decide if collision is going to be a good thing for RO2, or a bad thing. I think in general it works well - my main memory of collision from DH is unfortunately those god-awful spawn rooms, and getting stuck in the spawn doorways due to high traffic :) Comical on the first occurrence, plain annoying on every other one.

Without *something* (I don't know what) to help avoid this situation, I'd have to say that the bad outweighs the good. It isn't a case of "just be sensible and walk through when you can get through" - we're playing an online game with latency here, there are no ideal situations :) The plain fact is that when collision is turned on (regardless of where in the map or in that situation/state) - people WILL get stuck in doorways and tight corridors. While realism might dictate that collision should be in, this one side-effect, for me, is a good enough reason for it to be left out. I absolutely refuse to get shot in a corridor because I and another player got stuck in the "you first. No, you first" calamity :) While it's realistic, it definitely isn't conducive to enjoyable gaming. And while we do want realism, we also want fun - without fun, there is no point, and the community will shrink even more.

Guild Wars 2 or should I say a remake of Aion.

We appear to have been reading very different articles on GW2 :)

Upvote 0
We appear to have been reading very different articles on GW2 :)

Bit off topic to thread but I crossed refrenced both games are they are very similar. Competative pvp and gvg was my enjoyment in GW but this game is generaly based for pver which is fine because it will rake in the sales and profit and now a days it much needed but I worry about pvp. I know you start of pvp mode with uas/uax but will see. Alot of semi/hard cored pvpers of GW1 arent really excited about the next chapter. Pve however looks chill and I read that you can dominate solo which kind of kills the mmo aspect, well I guess it makes sence because the more casual and easier on the player the better, which is why RO2 is casual and easy. Wow heh, everything falls back onto topic after all :)

Reactions: dazman76
Upvote 0
This question is a nasty mess because I want to be able to go through any window and door I want, however I dont want people walking through me and getting shot in the back. I also want to be able to run through someone to get away from a grenade,however I hate it when I share a window with someone and their graphics get on mine affecting my shot. I say make it a server option and it will work itself out.

Reactions: dazman76
Upvote 0
Wow heh, everything falls back onto topic after all :)

lol, nicely done! :) And some good points too. At the moment I'm... "reasonably confident(tm)" that GW2 will be half-decent, and I plan to give it a run out. I can agree that it has elements of Aion in there, but it has far more to back it up. I pre-ordered (duh) and played Aion for a while, and really didn't like it - it felt like most other Korean MMOs of the time, devoid of real character and full of grind :) Also pretty lifeless in places, travelling the map felt really quite surreal to me - like some kind of flick-book of grind spots and utterly empty landscape in-between :)

Crap, I see the rails disappearing into the distance again...

This question is a nasty mess because I want to be able to go through any window and door I want, however I dont want people walking through me and getting shot in the back. I also want to be able to run through someone to get away from a grenade,however I hate it when I share a window with someone and their graphics get on mine affecting my shot. I say make it a server option and it will work itself out.

hehe, very well put indeed :) I agree, it will certainly have both positive and negative effects in several areas. However, the server option approach could be a thorn in the side of the community - by that I mean it could further sub-divide what is already a small group of players. The current player base is split between 3 game modes - adding a collision option for the server leaves us with a 6-way split of the current player base. Going on what I see when I play - 1000-1500 concurrent players - well, we could do with not slicing that any more if we can avoid it :) There are also impending mods, which don't necessarily work only on the current counts in terms of splitting players - they could attract brand new ones after all - but those will still apply a split to the community in some way.

If at all possible, I'd love to see a test version - for example the "beta" that was re-released to mass test some changes - with the collision model in. Couple that with 5 or so test servers, and give it a short run in the wild - and gather some immediate feedback from that testing. I'm thinking it's possible to get a fairly balanced system, giving a good compromise by balancing as many pros and as few cons as possible. I know that sounds like a perfect scenario, but something in the middle should be possible :) However, I don't know if TWI have the resource to do it alongside the current plans - because it could be a pain in the arse to get right :)

Upvote 0
I dont know if anyone else has taken this angle but I think turning on the collision would affect timing and maps in general. Like on apartments when everyone makes a mad dash for caps and positions. I can easily see the Russians on top of the Germans really quick. Additionally what about stairwells that were designed for no collision like on Grain Elevator if you cant pass each other going opposite ways it is going to be extremely frustrating.

Upvote 0
I dont know if anyone else has taken this angle but I think turning on the collision would affect timing and maps in general. Like on apartments when everyone makes a mad dash for caps and positions. I can easily see the Russians on top of the Germans really quick. Additionally what about stairwells that were designed for no collision like on Grain Elevator if you cant pass each other going opposite ways it is going to be extremely frustrating.

That is a valid concern. Also, a group of people trying to mantle the same wall... might get problematic with collision on.

Upvote 0
Of course one compromise is to have a collision mesh that's a fair bit thinner than the player for friendly collisions. That way you can't run straight through a team mate, but you can overlap a bit. This way you can at least more easily get past team mates. Would represent squeezing past someone pretty well, while preventing people getting a little too intimate with one another.

Upvote 0
Body collision was almost never a problem in RO. Every once in a great while some smart-alec would block a door or something, but for the most part everyone was cool.

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about with the game design taking responsibility from us and as it is now, it is one more opportunity to learn to work together that is lost. Nobody has to be aware of how his body affects the team, and won't ever have to learn.

Upvote 0
There's no point in making super-realistic features when you're missing the most basic and simples things, like NOT being able to walk through people.
My point is:
"There were no MG42's in Stalingrad"
Well people couldn't walk through each other in Stalingrad either!

Blocking was not a problem in RO: ost, the fact of being able to walk through other players is a far bigger problem!

P.S. I remember a round on FF_Barracks, I saw 5 players spawned in each other in front of me on open terrain, I just aimed at the group of players and cut them down with my PPSH, first I thought I killed one, then understood I just got five in one burst! I politely said sorry for spawn killing them :)

Last edited:
Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
I am for collisions enabled.

One thing that I find intersting is that collision is already enabled for dead bodies. If you kill two enemies at the same place, they will stack one on top of the other. This means that basic collision logic between bodies is already implemented in game.

What I do not understand, technically, is whether collisions between players will generate even more network traffic (that is the last thing we need now) or can just be resolved on local player's PC.

Maraz

Upvote 0