• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blood

I've seen blood from a gunshot splattered from behind the victim onto a wall, then to the ceiling, and across that to the opposite wall.

If you don't think gunshot wounds cause blood splatter you're quite frankly uninformed.

I think 3 different types of ammo need to be distinguished here.

Pistol rounds, rifle rounds, and 50 cal and upwards anti vehiche ammo.
The latter will rip a man in half and take off arms and legs. So lots of instant blood and gore.
Yes rifle rounds, if they exit, due to thier high velocity, and if you happen to be standing right next to a wall, will leave blood splatter. Head shots, neck shots, and shots that slice through a major artery will "spray" as it were. However even most high power rifle rounds will just leave a hole, followed by alot of blood pooling.
Pistol rounds even less so.
Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I think they did the blood effects really nice and realistic in "The Pacific" (They did improved a bit from the Band of Brothers ones).
Still I have no experience of shooting real people but I'm not going to look at videos on the net where people are shooting each other. So I'll leave it to you experts ;)
Cheers! :)

Upvote 0
I think 3 different types of ammo need to be distinguished here.

Pistol rounds, rifle rounds, and 50 cal and upwards anti vehiche ammo.
The latter will rip a man in half and take off arms and legs. So lots of instant blood and gore.
Yes rifle rounds, if they exit, due to thier high velocity, and if you happen to be standing right next to a wall, will leave blood splatter. Head shots, neck shots, and shots that slice through a major artery will "spray" as it were. However even most high power rifle rounds will just leave a hole, followed by alot of blood pooling.
Pistol rounds even less so.
Just my 2 cents.

FMJ Pistol rounds will exit a torso and nearly any angle if they don't hit bone.
FMJ Rifle rounds will exit a torso at any angle and may fragment if they strike bone. There is no such thing as "over-penetrating" - over penetration is just slang for failure to yaw, but nearly all FMJ bullets will go through and through a man. Any bullet that does not penetrate through and through a man is considered to not have enough stopping power for reliable self defence. This "rule" exempts pistol rounds striking bone and failing to penetrate as they still can reach vital organs under normal circumstances.

FMJ Anti-Materiel Rifles may take off limbs at the thin extremities (shin, arm, sometimes neck, but not thigh) but they cannot tear a man in half unless you unload a whole 100-round belt into an already dead target. Firing the rounds through ballistics gelatin will PROVE this, and while I've heard of accounts where such rounds take off limbs, I've never heard accounts of people being split in two or blown into itty bitty pieces.

This is the wound profile of a 12.7x99mm Mk211 Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary round. That will not split you in two. Infact the wound size within the average torso width is SMALLER than some .308 JSP's.

Attachments

• 127x99.jpg
    127x99.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wasted energy happens all the time. Kinetic energy is more of a "maximum potential" factor and it's rare for a person to recieve all the energy from a fully jacketed bullet, or even a hollow-point - but hollow points will dump more.

I believe the FBI considers minimum desirable penetration to be 17-18" of tissue (43-46cm) which is well over the width of a man's torso (20-25cm.) Their enforced minimum when selecting ammo is also 12" (30cm - again more than torso width.) This is because at certain angles it is necesary to penetrate more than 10" (25cm) to reach vital organs.
Page 11.

[URL]http://gunnuts.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fbi-hwfe.pdf

For relativity, 9mm 115gr FMJ penetrates 17" (43cm.)
7.62x51mm 146gr Ball penetrates around 25" (64cm.)
Some references I have suggest .50 M33 Ball penetrates at least 90cm of tissue but I am not sure of the accuracy of that.[/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the wound profile of a 12.7x99mm Mk211 Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary round. That will not split you in two. Infact the wound size within the average torso width is SMALLER than some .308 JSP's.

I've seen some images from Iraq and Afganistan of men who were hit with what I think was .50 explosive incendiary. Some were indeed cut in two at the torso, most were missing limbs or large parts of them. The rounds could have been something larger though, possibly from an aircraft of some kind.

As far as RO2 is concerned, weapons like the PTRS should only be capable of this, and if implemented, only rarely should they really split someone in half. It should be left pretty much as it was in Ostfront with the PTRD.

For blood it really depends on the wound. Decapitations bleed a lot less than you probably think, but will obviously still make a pool if left stationary. RO2 seems to have it right from what I've seen in videos, and the hit decals tie everything in. As gruesome as it is, it's nice to have a visual indication of where you actually hit your enemy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wasted energy happens all the time. Kinetic energy is more of a "maximum potential" factor and it's rare for a person to recieve all the energy from a fully jacketed bullet, or even a hollow-point - but hollow points will dump more.

I believe the FBI considers minimum desirable penetration to be 17-18" of tissue (43-46cm) which is well over the width of a man's torso (20-25cm.) Their enforced minimum when selecting ammo is also 12" (30cm - again more than torso width.) This is because at certain angles it is necesary to penetrate more than 10" (25cm) to reach vital organs.
Page 11.

http://gunnuts.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fbi-hwfe.pdf[url]http://gunnuts.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fbi-hwfe.pdf[/URL]

For relativity, 9mm 115gr FMJ penetrates 17" (43cm.)
7.62x51mm 146gr Ball penetrates around 25" (64cm.)
Some references I have suggest .50 M33 Ball penetrates at least 90cm of tissue but I am not sure of the accuracy of that.

Thanks for the info really helped;)
Makes sense when you fire from above through the shoulder, have to penetrate a lot to reach any vital organs.

I do agree with above post about the bleeding.
The pressure in a vessel is measured in grams of mercury. Does 100 gram of mercury splash downwards, do not think so.
A small spray from the actual impact (especially at an angle) I know nothing about, so I shush:D

Upvote 0
I've seen some images from Iraq and Afganistan of men who were hit with what I think was .50 explosive incendiary. Some were indeed cut in two at the torso, most were missing limbs or large parts of them. The rounds could have been something larger though, possibly from an aircraft of some kind.

They may have been hit by the Mk211 through a barrier. While the round *should* not explode within the torso of a man (explosion occurs between 35 and 70cm in ballistics gel), if it hits a barrier first (wall, car door), the explosive effect would occur right on the target, which can produce absolutely horrific wounding effects. I don't know if this is the case with 14.5mm API, since it has no explosive filler, but I'd rather not get hit with one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally hate how everyone looks at ballistic gel as if it is precisely the same as the human body. The body is actually a tremendously complicated mesh of tissues with different properties and degrees of durability, and I remain quite unconvinced of hydrostatic shock and the like.

Also I heard secondhand that .50 BMG, fired from an M2 machine gun at least, removes legs and read firsthand that .30 machine gun fire can effectively cut people in half. Not that I care to verify any of that. Why can't we just kill people the clean and civilized way instead of all this high explosive and shell splinters! What happened to the polite days of nerve gas?

Savages, I say.

Upvote 0
FMJ Pistol rounds will exit a torso and nearly any angle if they don't hit bone.
FMJ Rifle rounds will exit a torso at any angle and may fragment if they strike bone. There is no such thing as "over-penetrating" - over penetration is just slang for failure to yaw, but nearly all FMJ bullets will go through and through a man. Any bullet that does not penetrate through and through a man is considered to not have enough stopping power for reliable self defence. This "rule" exempts pistol rounds striking bone and failing to penetrate as they still can reach vital organs under normal circumstances.

FMJ Anti-Materiel Rifles may take off limbs at the thin extremities (shin, arm, sometimes neck, but not thigh) but they cannot tear a man in half unless you unload a whole 100-round belt into an already dead target. Firing the rounds through ballistics gelatin will PROVE this, and while I've heard of accounts where such rounds take off limbs, I've never heard accounts of people being split in two or blown into itty bitty pieces.

The dismembering effects and " cutting in half" as it were, I was referring to 20mm rounds and anti armor ammo, which I have seen videos of men cut completly in half from one impact.

Upvote 0
The dismembering effects and " cutting in half" as it were, I was referring to 20mm rounds and anti armor ammo, which I have seen videos of men cut completly in half from one impact.

Well, 20mm HEI has a claimed 2m lethal radius, which means the explosion is in a cone that large - most people's stomachs are not that wide. Therefore, 20mm doing such things as that, this I could believe.

Upvote 0
i shot a deer in hte jaw from about 25 yards with my m1 garand (30-06 for you retards) and i saw blood go flying.

where it droped where was high velocity mist all over the grass in about a 2 foot circle.

also, if you hit a lung and that deer/sadly, human...is running, you will see clouds of blood every time he breaths.

however, when you hit a deer, you might see soem hair, but no blood, the MUZZLE CLIMB is to mutch on scoped rifles, and on open sights even when you see the hit, you may only see the "shock wave/hydro-static shock (match some on shoot billistics jello) from the bullet....but its mainly the THACK you hear that you know you hit them, or if they run funny.

hit a deer i nthe gut with a big bore round...it make s noise...not a SHUMPT like in games...but a deep THACK...let me find a youtube video of it!

Upvote 0