• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

I know, I forgot about the online registration. Don't the 360 versions work though? The Gametrailers video didn't show if it booted up or not.

God, this is the first game in a long time that I've genuinely wanted, but I still can't even pay for books this semester. I'm definitely camping out the night before work-study jobs are handed out.

Upvote 0
Holy crap, so far this is the best reviewed game I've EVER seen... even better than Halo or Half Life 2 (97 and 96 respectively). Right now the game's average is 98 on Metacritic. I know a lot of reviewers don't know what they're talking about, but I think scores like this are a pretty good indication. IGN gave it a 9.7 and usually these guys are spot on, I always trust their reviews.

Upvote 0
well, after playing it for a while. It's alot of fun. It's simplistic in that theres minimal controls. You move, jump, shoot, reload, use plasmids, and change ammo. That's it. However, each time you run into an enemy there's a multitude of ways to kill them. That part is complex, as theres always at least two types of ammo for a gun, plus whatever plasmids and tonics you mix together.

All in all, its the perfect mix between simplicity and complexity. The controls are simple enough to where anyone can pick it up and play, but theres enough options for tackling objectives that it can be quite complex.

The graphics are amazing too, you can tell it's a UE 3.0 game. Lighting is spot on, and I'd pay the ticket price just to watch the water. Bioshocks's water is easily the neatest little trick/gimmick I've ever seen in a game.

Oh yeah, the story is easily one of the best in a video game. ever. period.

So, in conclusion. buy this game, and if you can't afford it. see which of your friends has it, kill them, and then take it for yourself.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if you can buy the game from a store and then register it in Steam ala RO?
If the game's CD key matches one of Valve's standard formats, then that should also work. If it doesn't match, such as "Company of Heros" or another THQ game, then you can't register the game with Steam.

The offical quote is "CD Keys for Valve games will always be accepted on Steam. CD Keys for third party games are generally not accepted for Steam registration, unless they match the Valve CD Key format (or if they are listed below)."

Visit SteamPowered for the offical page. http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68

Upvote 0
The PC demo has been delayed slightly but playing this on my XBOX360 and 42" HDTV is an experience to behold.
The big screen experience with the surround sound really is indescribable - I was absolutely mezmerised.
I've played it through twice now and each experience was completely different.
Big screen really makes the difference - I couldn't go back to playing this on a PC tbh.
Switch on - 10 seconds later I'm playing with everything cranked up to maximum and boy does this game deliver in spades.
Best demo I've ever played and the full game will be nothing short of spectacular - we need more gaming single player experiences like this.

Upvote 0
Just for the record, Alpha Centauri got a 98%, and Civ 2 got a 97% (on PC gamer), people seem to forget about those.

If this game was 20 dollars, I would get it right now without trying the demo. ATM, though, I really have to try the demo and see, and I refuse to use file planet (somebody said thats the only place you can get it.)

Anybody know another sight that isn't as horrible as file planet for getting the PC demo (don't have a 360.)

Upvote 0
Whats wrong with FilePlanet? You gotta wait 30 mins before a file starts downloading, big whoop. Once you finish waiting (and you're free to do other things while you wait) the site gives reasonable download speeds of 200-300 kbps. I don't really see the fuss.

Also, a couple more PC specific reviews have been released.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its because of their business practices. Ok, so they aren't Coca-Cola, but their business practices have directly lowered my quality of life (and it has nothing to do with the downloads.)

Its off-topic, it was a long time ago, and I actually do not remember that well, but it has to do with them buying and tearing down other websites I really loved.

Like most long-term hatred things, I more or less completly forgot the original reason, but the hatred grows.

Though I checked out file planet (cause I thought I might be able to find a link to somewhere else) and even there I couldn't find the demo.

Upvote 0