• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better Melee Attacks:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
As a bit of history on the bayonet and weapon club attacks, back in the mod there was always the problem with hitting your melee attack where the impact hit as soon as you hit the button and usually killed the enemy before the stab animation was completed.

A few people had an issue with this, which brought in the current style of melee attack in which you hit the button, it then goes through the animation and then makes impact.

The problem I find with this is that trying to time it right is all screwed up and I continually seem to miss my target and then end up being killed. For me, it doesn't make sense to attack, then have the actual attack occur a second or so afterwards.

Solution?

How about having melee attacks being a button-holding action like a charge.

In real life when you're going to jab someone with a spear or bayonet, or club someone with something, you generally have the weapon and action prepped.... you'd come charging at the guy with your rifle pulled back and then thrust forward when you wanted to inflict the attack.

Same with clubbing someone. You'd have the weapon in a position to build up an attack and then you'd give a big swing and club em.

Why not have the melee attack set as a button you hold down so that when you want to hit the guy at the right time, you let go, it attacks, and hits at the same time.

This way if you just tap the melee button, you'd give a quick swipe or slug the guy with a lower powered attack, but if you held the button down for a second or longer, you're arms would animate up and back as if you're getting ready to spear the guy, then let go and smack em.

Now I'm not for some type of effect where the longer you hold the melee attack the more your Dragon Ball Z powers up and you gib the guy.... just something realistic that gives you a better opportunity to time your attack right. A quick tap would not inflict a whole lot of damage, but holding for a second or longer (the amount of time it'd take you to wind up your attack in real life) would inflict some serious damage if contact is made.

Thoughts?

Personally, I find the current melee and the old melee systems lacking something and I think this is what it is.

I hope the ro charging times get improved as the primary force for putting a bayonet into someones body is not really because of charging. But rather having a longer path where you accelerate the weapon, making it the weapon have a higher inpact energy.

Generally in the mod using the bayonet was a lot easier than in ostfront. And there werent that many issues with it afaik. Sure there might have been a small delay but most of the time bayo hits werent that hard to do.

I think that the main issue is the bayonet system in ROOST and to be exactly the freeaim when hipping your bayonet or riflebut.

When you release your button it takes some time to reach the target, howerver in that time the enemy is likely to move. Meaning that because of that movement you need to turn your screen to hit him in the end. Although since your gun turns quicker than your screen (freeaim) and its not clearly that the gun will land out of the center of the screen. You see loads of people circling around and missing when bayofighting.

---

So my proposition is.

Initiating attacks
pretty much the same as in RO:Ostfront only with a much quicker charge time.

1. Quick tap
Instantly do a quick bayonet/buttstock attack

2. Push and hold
Put your gun backwards (fully charged after the same time it takes your arms backwards aka less than a second).
Release the button
Do the charged bayonet buttstock attack.

Inflicting damage
During the stabbing animation disable freeaim of the bayonet or make it a lot lower. So you can easily make a big turn and still hit easily (and not only if you know where the bayo will hit on a left or right turn).

Only if for the majority that is still too hard (and i cant remember seeing a lot of complains in the mod only after roost got released) then apply an instant hit. But i would rather not have that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the locked free aim idea while charging the bayo or stock, since that was another thing I found annoying.... besides the delayed attack, and circling the guy trying to stab them, you also had to fight the free aim going too far to the left or right like you're cross-eyed.

And since charging up, your arms would be pretty tense, I doubt the free aim would work in real life as it does in the game.

The complaints I remember wen't exactly towards the effectivness of the bayo attacks in the Mod, but more so just how the animation didn't line up with the impact.... which led us to what's in Ost right now. It seemed everybody went with the concept that melee should just be a button-down attack, rather then a hold down attack..... and it's that button-delay-free-aim attack thing that seems to make the attack much more difficult then what I remember.

I also noticed that in Ost, you have to stab the guy two or three times on average before they actually die..... rather then the one-hit wonder stab in the mod.

Neither is the best solution, which is why I think the quick attack should be like the current Ost system and the Charged attack should be like the Mod One-Hit-Wonder attack..... but the quick bayo/melee attack should still be faster then what's in ost right now.... maybe tweak the damage lower then it currently is to compensate.

Oh and yeah what I meant by the word "Charging" was in towards the path length of the strike using your arms and body allowing a more powerful or "Charged" attack compared to a simple quick thrust from using your forearms/wrists.

And add a good old fashion war cry/scream too while we're at it when you thrust with the stronger attack.... I think it'd be cool/funny to see a couple of soldiers in the game swinging their weapons at each other violently, screaming and yelling at each other like a bunch of klingons.

^ But that's not that important to have in the game and I could live without. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main thing i want to see for the general public is primarily that bayonetting someone gets easier.

Hitting someone with say a bayonet should be relatively easy and is something every person can do. Bayonet fights shouldn't consist of people circling around each other missing each other, they should be ended quickly.

As long as its generally easier for everybody to hit something im happy. I would love a way to block someone's melee attack and a full melee system like zeno clash, but there are more important things than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be nice if the bayonet could inflict damage without the need to press the melee button, just by slashing the rifle over the screen or simply by running into your opponent with bayonet should inflict damage in my opinion as that would make sense realism wise - the melee button would then add more power to the attack and cause more damage.
Of course it would make it dangerous to run with an attached bayonet near friendly troops but people will learn that soon enough.

Upvote 0
Would be nice if the bayonet could inflict damage without the need to press the melee button, just by slashing the rifle over the screen or simply by running into your opponent with bayonet should inflict damage in my opinion as that would make sense realism wise - the melee button would then add more power to the attack and cause more damage.
Of course it would make it dangerous to run with an attached bayonet near friendly troops but people will learn that soon enough.

I HoS the gun barrel is supposedly going to impair movement in confined spaces, so this might just be the case.

Upvote 0