• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC (Beta preview) Game crashing while trying to launch

Bluntman420

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2015
Los Angeles
I've downloaded the beta preview but my game continues to bug splat during launch.

I started by opting into the preview. Attempted to start the game and got a bug splat. Repeated once more. I then verified the integrity of the cache. After doing so I attempted to start the game again. The game ended up stuck (not responding) and I had to manually close it. So I restarted Steam and tried to launch after that, it then bug splat again instead of just not responding. I attempted to launch 4 more times and continually bug splat. I restarted Steam again and continued to bug splat on KF2 launch. I just now verified my cache for the second time and am still getting the bug splat on launch.

Hopefully, the issue can be resolved soon!

Thanks.

Just wanted to update:

Deleting the KFGame folder did not work. It led only to black or white screens which would freeze and remain on my screen until I closed the program. I opted back out of the preview and opted back in and still experienced the same problems I described earlier.

I was able to launch the game without the preview.

Upvote 0
If the crashes you are experiencing have resulted in a BugSplat, providing the email you associated with those reports or the Crash Report number may help us further investigate this issue. Furthermore, uploading the Launch.log from your ...\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Logs​ directory as well as generating a DxDiag would be quite helpful.

Upvote 0
Got it. I wasn't entirely sure whether or not I included the additional files when I sent the previous reports so I just sent one now with the additional files box checked. I'm positive I didn't add my email there so I also added that ([email protected]).

I'm inexperienced with doing a DxDiag. I've run it and it says no problems were found, but should I still have sent it with the error report or do you want it here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got it. I wasn't entirely sure whether or not I included the additional files when I sent the previous reports so I just sent one now with the additional files box checked. I'm positive I didn't add my email there so I also added that ([email protected]).

I'm inexperienced with doing a DxDiag. I've run it and it says no problems were found, but should I still have sent it with the error report or do you want it here?
Seems you are crashing on shaders. Try the steps below.
Deep Cache Verification:
  1. Navigate to Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2
  2. Delete the binaries folder.
  3. Navigate to Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC
  4. Delete the file: GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.bin
  5. Delete the file: GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM5.bin
  6. Go to Steam Library.
  7. Right-click on Killing Floor 2.
  8. Select Properties.
  9. Go to Local Files tab.
  10. Click the button "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...". This should take 10-15 minutes.
  11. Try playing the game now.
This is from our support site. https://support.killingfloor2.com/e...ame-exe-has-stopped-working-or-hang-on-launch

Upvote 0
Seems you are crashing on shaders. Try the steps below.
Deep Cache Verification:
  1. Navigate to Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2
  2. Delete the binaries folder.
  3. Navigate to Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC
  4. Delete the file: GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.bin
  5. Delete the file: GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM5.bin
  6. Go to Steam Library.
  7. Right-click on Killing Floor 2.
  8. Select Properties.
  9. Go to Local Files tab.
  10. Click the button "Verify Integrity of Game Cache...". This should take 10-15 minutes.
  11. Try playing the game now.
This is from our support site. https://support.killingfloor2.com/e...ame-exe-has-stopped-working-or-hang-on-launch
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

I went through each step but it is still giving me a bugsplat as the game launches. I sent two error reports just now under the same email. I assume it is still showing a shader issue? I noticed I had a driver update, so I updated it and that did nothing to change the situation either. Tried running the game as admin as well and no luck. Not sure what else I could try. The game does start when opted out of the preview.

Last edited:
Upvote 0