• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best way to Cap FPS to a custom number?

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
To my surprise my ancient toaster runs the game relatively well on low resolutions. On any given map my FPS range from 40 to 200 - mainly on custom maps I get really strong fps...

My question is what is the best way to limit my maximum FPS in KF2? I was thinking I had some flexibility to increase some gore settings so I'd like to cap my FPS to 45.

I'm aware of vsync but that's not what I'm talking about. :D

cap your FPS to whatever your monitors refresh rate is

these days the least its likely to be is 60FPS.

if you want to play at 45FPS then you are probably going to have a headache quick from all the screen tearing.

if you have an AMD card you can cap your frames at any FPS and it will apply for all games, i assume nvidia can do the same, or you can change the .ini of every game individually like an insane person.

Upvote 0
And I thought you want as much fps as you can for shooter games...

Well maybe I am wrong.

Nah - you're right. :D

For games where it's PVP like Quake Live or COD I do like gaining the max fps possible for my machine. However, I also dumb down the environments and effects in those games.

In KF2 I want to do the opposite - I want to push what my old gpu can handle as much as I can (within reason) and max out gore, bodycounts, etc.

From what I see on my FPS fluxuations while playing with these settings, most maps land me in a "sweet spot" of somewhere in the 45-50 range. No, it doesn't sound great, but keep in mind my computer belongs in a musuem and I never even thought I'd be able to play this game with it lol. :):IS2:

~edit~

cap your FPS to whatever your monitors refresh rate is

these days the least its likely to be is 60FPS.

if you want to play at 45FPS then you are probably going to have a headache quick from all the screen tearing.

Interesting. I'll test 45 out for a game or two but I'll keep this in mind.

If things feel "off" I'll adjust to 60. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0