• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Being seen and not seeing...

Sulman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had a few games recently where I'm getting the distinct impression some players are seeing better than others. I've experienced on Spartanovka on one notable occasion, and my last round at Dhruzhina was very frustrating. I can be prone in divots or behind cover on relatively even elevation, and yet keep getting hit.

Are some people turning off foliage? I can't quite understand how they're doing it. The visibility haze is one thing - I just cannot quite see how players so routinely spot so quickly.

This is something that seems unique to RO2 - and I can't quite get my head around it.

One possibility to consider: if your eyes are just below some form of cover/concealment, you just may have the tip of your helmet sticking out.

Another: are you behind impenetrable cover - or behind something lighter, where someone just saw you duck and has put a few random rifle/MG rounds? I shot someone through one of Sparta's fences yesterday with a DP28. I saw him duck behind the fence. Two short bursts, pause, death message :)

Upvote 0
One possibility to consider: if your eyes are just below some form of cover/concealment, you just may have the tip of your helmet sticking out.

Another: are you behind impenetrable cover - or behind something lighter, where someone just saw you duck and has put a few random rifle/MG rounds? I shot someone through one of Sparta's fences yesterday with a DP28. I saw him duck behind the fence. Two short bursts, pause, death message :)
That's pretty much what I came here to say.

Upvote 0
then's there the fact that if you have your foliage set to mininum, that guy hiding a hundred meters away, thinking he's under cover, is not. cause your settings, say not to draw those bushes that far.
can someone from TWI please, please, tell me that is NOT, able to happen anymore? if so, i profusely appologize!
p.s. has there been any new news on the mg (hiding in the crater) exploit?

Upvote 0
I know the feeling.

Even if you are prone, the golden rule is always: if you see an area, always be aware that you can be seen from there. The bigger the area you see, the more chances you will be seen. "To see is being seen".

On bridges of druzhina, I also took out several enemy with the MG, 'blind' firing from very far away to 'hotspots' (where enemy can be expected). I don't see them, I just hit them while giving cover to my teammates. So chances exist you are just always in such hotspots. Advice: if you get shot over and over again somewhere, take a totally different path, especially if that sniper on the right flank keeps hitting you. Take the left flank.

And yes, bullet penetration, one of my favourite things ! Fences (like in Spartanovka), thin walls (like in Apartments), ceilings (like in Barracks)... you only need a glimps of the enemy to kill him. And mostly he doesn't even know he will be shot. Too bad there is no achievement award for bullet penetration kills :)

Upvote 0
IToo bad there is no achievement award for bullet penetration kills :)

Lol, agreed. :D Could be called "Nowhere Safe", or something.

On apartments, in the building on the A side of the map - at the end near D, if a MG is set up on the landing of the flight of stairs, you can shoot him through the wall from the room off the hallway. If any of that makes sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the problem here is the foliage! I know this from experience.
I recently bought a new computer with better hardware and can now play the game on ultra settins. I didn't even know that there was so many grass and foliage in the maps! It makes sense to me now why I sometimes saw people crawling out in the open, I thought they were stupid, but now i know that they tought they were hidden in the grass.
To me, this is a major error in the game as it obviously gives some players a big advantage! This should be solved!!!!
I wonder if something can be done about this or if TWI is even aware this problem exists.

Upvote 0
then's there the fact that if you have your foliage set to mininum, that guy hiding a hundred meters away, thinking he's under cover, is not. cause your settings, say not to draw those bushes that far.
can someone from TWI please, please, tell me that is NOT, able to happen anymore? if so, i profusely appologize!

Some types of foliage are forced on out to whatever draw distance they are set at. Many other types are not and can be turned off in the settings. This is mainly for players who have computers who cannot handle the better graphics, to turn off so they can get reasonable frame rates. I'm sure there are a few who abuse it and turn it off to get easier kills.

As a player, you just have to realize that some players do turn it off. Also, over a distance, the foliage/vegetation is beyond the draw distance and can't be seen. You may think you are hidden and might be to those close to you, but to others far away you are just laying in the open.

In an ideal world, everyone would have a top of the line PC at home where you wouldn't need to limit these things and everything would be drawn on at all times. We all know that's not the case, so we just have to accept that and knowing that, play accordingly.

Or we can all hope PC's disappear and everyone buys and plays on a console where everyone is equal (eeeewwwww! Yuck! :D )

Upvote 0
I think the problem here is the foliage! I know this from experience.
I recently bought a new computer with better hardware and can now play the game on ultra settins. I didn't even know that there was so many grass and foliage in the maps! It makes sense to me now why I sometimes saw people crawling out in the open, I thought they were stupid, but now i know that they tought they were hidden in the grass.
To me, this is a major error in the game as it obviously gives some players a big advantage! This should be solved!!!!
I wonder if something can be done about this or if TWI is even aware this problem exists.

Its not really an error, its a matter of making the game playable for those with lower end computers (as you used to have before you bought a new one).

You can get rid of the setting to turn off foliage, but you would alienate players whose computers just can't handle drawing all the extra stuff on screen.

Just realize those facts, and try to play accordingly.

Upvote 0
Its not really an error, its a matter of making the game playable for those with lower end computers (as you used to have before you bought a new one).

You can get rid of the setting to turn off foliage, but you would alienate players whose computers just can't handle drawing all the extra stuff on screen.

Just realize those facts, and try to play accordingly.

A shame they don't abstract it, like BI do in the ARMA line. It's not perfect (players appear submerged in the terrain) but it's a start.

I think I'm losing out on view distance, too. Over iron sights 200m is getting toward the limit I can resolve detail. Perhaps I just need a bigger monitor.

Upvote 0
But isn't it possible to keep the foliage for everyone but lower the graphics quality to the lowest for those with lower end rigs? I guess not, otherwise we wouldn't see this problem. Now, it's like players are playing in a parallel world against eachother. I'm glad I can see the foliage and grass now though!

They have probably done that, or close to that already. I imagine even if they could the benefit would be very little and they would still need to keep the setting to turn it off.

If they can, great but I really don't mind. I play keeping in that in mind and try to use dips and valleys in the terrain more.

Upvote 0
They have probably done that, or close to that already. I imagine even if they could the benefit would be very little and they would still need to keep the setting to turn it off.

If they can, great but I really don't mind. I play keeping in that in mind and try to use dips and valleys in the terrain more.

Needless to say I hope this is very well considered for Rising Sun.

Upvote 0
Foliage..... yeah. I have mine cranked up because I like the look, but I treat grass like it's invisible to the other guy. For some it is and some turn their settings down intentionally. Annoying to be sure, but unavoidable unless we had a system like ARMA's which has been mentioned.

Bushes and trees will always provide some cover AFAIK.

Also, on Bridges, Allied are far easier to spot than axis and Axis almost always has a height advantage. (if you were Allied by chance.)

Upvote 0