• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BEHOLD! For the Veteran Rifleman Unlock

bundesarchiv_bild_101i-276-0702-33_2c_russland_2c_soldat_mit_russischer_mp_ppsh-41

sooo weirrrrd auuugugughgauuugh

look at the smug look on his face doesn't he realize he's tearing the fabric of reality by holding a ppsh

oh my goddddd

Hahaha :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that unlocking enemy weapons is giving the player the oportunity to play with the weapon of their choice, thats it and its good.
Many players chose their side because of the weapons of the sides (axis or allies), now if they get veterans, they can be on axis OR allies and allways use their favourite weapon, so I think it helps with balance too.
my experience is this: I never wanted to play russians in RO:Ost, now with my veteran unlock I dont mind anymore on which side I am because I can begin with my weapon of choice anyways.

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-276-0702-33_2C_Russland_2C_Soldat_mit_russischer_MP_PPSh-41

Sooo weirrrrd auuugugughgauuugh

Look at the smug look on his face doesn't he realize he's tearing the fabric of reality by holding a PPSH

Oh my goddddd

Er, certain weapons make sense to be utilized by enemy soldiers, but I can guarantee that no German rifleman ever threw away his Kar98 to take a Mosin Nagant instead.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the Russian sniper rifles had better (adjustable) scopes, which probably didn't fit on a K98 ( Even German scopes didn't fit straight away I believe )

Apart from the scope why would a German soldier pick up a mosin? A ppsh I can understand because it was nothing like any other German weapon and it was less prone to jamming. K98 is shorter, more accurate, and a German soldier had way more experience with one anyway.

but yeah it's cool that it's an option to have one, some prefer the sights (... don't' tell this to anyone, I do as well :p )

Upvote 0
Seriously man with all the different gun sounds it will be helpful, personally when I'm playing as Soviets I'll grab a MP-40 and then lurk around enemy territory.

It works.

Try it.

This. The other day I found a PPSh-41 and came up behind a bunch of Russians in a trench and shot them in the back one by one at a leisurely pace. Not one thought to turn around.

Upvote 0
I dont understand?

Why would someone willingly swap their own weapon for that of the enemys?

Disadvantages:

1.)Enemy weapon = enemy weapon sounds, thus confuses your own men

2.)When you run out of ammo, chances are your own nations ammo will be of a different calibre

3.)Against army practise = telling off by senior officer when you return to barracks with an enemy weapon

4.)Sights not aligned to your own eyes = poor accuracy

5.)Untrained with enemys weaponary.

Advantages:

1.)Enemy weapon may be superior to your own weapon

2.)You may have 'lost' or had your own weapon damaged, so one weapon is better than no weapon.

3.)You may have run out of ammo with your own weapon so you pick up an enemys weapon with ammo already loaded.

Other extras:

--- An ordinary rifle man using a Kar98 might find it a bonus to see an enemys sniper rifle and for the first time be able to use a scope which he was not/ and possible cannot get hold of.

--- No rifle man, in my opinion would be allowed nor would bother to switch his rifle, which he has trained with for the past 5 years for an enemys MG / rifle which he has absolutely no experience with what so ever.

--- Maybe your army has issued you an enemys weapon which has been looted on the battlefield and converted to the nations standard calibre due to own nations weapon shortages?

In my opinion, Stalingrad was a big cluster-fcuk anyways, it wouldnt surprise me if in the heat of battle a commisioned officer handled at some point a Pzb39 and took out 4 T-34s in the space of 30 minutes or a Soviet rifleman looted an Mg34 and wiped out a whole comany of Germans on his own.

Sturm

Last edited:
Reactions: Tovarish_Vassili
Upvote 0
Well the Russian sniper rifles had better (adjustable) scopes, which probably didn't fit on a K98 ( Even German scopes didn't fit straight away I believe )

Hehe, the Russian scopes weren't better, they were easier to zero in, that's it, there's a difference ;) And zero'ing in the scope was done way before any engagement anyway, and that's actually one of the reasons the German scopes were better, cause unlike the Soviet scopes they could be taken off & on without any loss of zero.

Add to the above that the German scopes featured a wider FOV, higher magnification and a much better set of lenses (heck they were even coated), whilst on top being nitrogen purged so they didn't fog up :) So not only did Soviet snipers have to leave their scopes on for transport, but they also had to leave the scope outside during the winter, cause bringing it inside would cause it fog up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It needs to be added here that those are cases of regular infantrymen picking up scoped enemy rifles, which wasn't that uncommon, seeing as many of these chaps wanted to prove themselves infront of their NCo's as suitable to be sent back for sniper training in Germany. Infact esp. machine gunners tended to look for these rifles, cause they were used to being the primary target on the battlefield, as such tried to find ways of acquiring other duties; that's how Allerberger was finally accepted for sniper training for example, who started out as an MG'er as-well.

As for German soldiers picking up regular Mosins instead of their K98k, it just didn't happen unless they were encircled and out of 8mm ammunition. The K98k was quite simply a better rifle in every way compared to the Mosin, so there was no reason to trade it in.

Upvote 0
That would be true.

You know this how?

Oh. Look out. Ot oh.
Spoiler!

And here's a German with a Krag-Jorgennsen WAT what is he doing doesn't he know that Germany's Mauser rifle was handpicked by God I mean the Fuhrer to serve the Fatherland neinneinnein
Spoiler!

And here's a German sniper with a Mosin sniper WAT doesn't he know that his ballistic coefficients will suffer :eek:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

WAT this picture doesn't exist no German would sully himself with an M38! The Kar98 is the only Karbine approved by the Fuhrer!

What's next oh a Lee Enfield WAT didn't these Germans study the Boer War
Spoiler!

Wat dirty French lebel rifles in the hands of glorious German Reich soldiers this is an outrage
Spoiler!

Ach this German soldier has his Kar98 on the ground in favor of a Frenchie Lebel rifle doesn't he know that a German rifle is like a flag, you should never put it on the ground?

Spoiler!

Neinnein the German Second Reich must have lost the first World War because they chose these putrid Mosin Nagant Russian filth rifles over their glorious Gewehr 98s
Spoiler!

So in short, we now all know that if you ignore all the pictorial evidence above, no German soldier ever discarded his glorious Gewehr98 in favor of any foreign piece of scheisse because some people on this forum said so.

Upvote 0
Wow, some people get their panties in a bunch easily today :eek:

You're embarrasing yourself right now VariousNames, hadn't expected that from you.

And here's a German sniper with a Mosin sniper WAT doesn't he know that his ballistic coefficients will suffer :eek:
Spoiler!

Not a sniper, sry..

So in short, we now all know that if you ignore all the pictorial evidence above, no German soldier ever discarded his glorious Gewehr98 in favor of any foreign piece of scheisse because some people on this forum said so.

Nope, that's not what was being said.

What's being said is that there was no reason a German riflemen would pick up any other bolt action rifle than his own other than for these obvious exceptions:

1.) The enemy rifle has a scope.
2.) Ammunition supply for his own rifle is either exhausted or running dangerously low.
3.) You lost your own rifle
4.) For picture posing time (Yes, this was done a lot. Showing oneself enjoying your newly acquired war booty)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well variousnames has said it now, Mosin nagant standard German rifle of WW2 :IS2:

Or do you somewhere back in a dark corner of your mind realize that these photos are exceptions? No? Yes?

Well you certainly gotta be careful about rightly declaring one weapon clearly superior to another on this forum, or you might quickly find yourself wrongly labelled.

Upvote 0
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-276-0702-33_2C_Russland_2C_Soldat_mit_russischer_MP_PPSh-41

Sooo weirrrrd auuugugughgauuugh

Look at the smug look on his face doesn't he realize he's tearing the fabric of reality by holding a PPSH

Oh my goddddd

You have no idea of the context of that picture. Chances are, it was a captured weapon that was passed ffom man to man so he could take a pic.

With sounds being such an important part of battlefield input, only a desperate person would use enemy weaponry.

Letting people spawn with enemy weapons is juvenile, and TWI put that "feature" in for the juveniles. Expect spawning with enemy weapons to go away when the juveniles move to the next game.

Upvote 0
Because German engineering is the best, amirite?

Germans invented everything, including sliced bread and sex, so we should all lavish them in tongue baths for being so great.

*Knocks back a few more swigs of schnapps and goes back to being dour and depressive*

Nazi fanboi-ism is alive and well

"Derrr, I like der germans cuzz they got super tanks, they do cool goosestepz and have epic salute; they was also the grateist most brayvest worriors in hisstorey sort of like the Spartuns in that epic movie 300! The spartuns had to fight off a brazillion arab terrorists to save their home land, and der germans had to fight of a brazillion communists devuls in order to save the world from commie occupation!"

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0