• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Been doing some research.

5thSSDW.KGW~CO said:
Yeah, you have a point. I've always prided myself on having a positive K/D ratio. Doesn't have to be big, just positive. Kind of stands for legitimate effectiveness in my mind. But tonight I thought "screw it" and went back to just going for the caps and I was back at the top end of the board most rounds. That K/D messes wit yo mind.
Don't use K/D. It's useless. When people focus on K/D they stop thinking how to help they team to win the match which is wrong. In Bad Company 2 everyone cares for positive K/D ratio rather than wining the game. I like in Red Orchestra 2 that you can get 5 kills and be high in the leaderboard, because you do help your team to capture and defend objectives somehow.

- Kill is +1.
- Kill from defended zone is +2.
- Kill in attacked zone is +2.
- Kill near squad leader is +2.
- Kill near commander is +1.
- Kill assist is +1.
- Killng someone who tried to kill your teammate is +1 or +2.
- Capturing the zone is +10 and + number of people who assisted in said capture.

In perfect situation you get +1 from kill, +2 for being in a defended zone, + 2 for the enemy being killed in a attacked zone, +2 for squad leader nearby. That's is +7. For a single kill. Sitting somewhere where you can get easy kills and good ratio is not beneficial either to you or your team. It's +1 only. The same amount of points you can get for assist. I saw people having +50 kills while I had around 10-15. I was just a few points behind them. I like that system, because it rewards you for progress and teamplay more than simple kill count.

Shooting in this game requires some time to get used to it - on my first day I often had no idea what was killing me let alone shooting the enemy and scoring a hit and on day two I was able to see them, then I learned how to measure distance and hit them with fair chance of success. It's not always cheating.

P.S. Some numbers can be not accurate, because I don't remember some of them too well, so correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In most FPS I played I saw more people crying "Cheaters!" then I saw actual cheaters. I think many people are very fast to call someone a cheater if he seems better or even just luckier compared to themselves. And certain ways of playing will boost that impression.

Examples:

One lazy rifleman sits somewhere in cover and has his eyes on a window he knows to be often used by enemies. Someone throws a smoke grenade between rifleman and window. But obviously the rifleman still knows where that window is and protected by the smoke he will shoot every few seconds. I have done that before and got lucky (or well - more like someone else got unlucky). But everyone killed within smoke seems to call his killer a cheater.

One some maps there are points that seem to be a bit unbalanced. Yesterday I had a game on Pavlovs House where the Germans got some positions high on the roofs of some houses in their starting zone that allow them to cover one of the Russian spawn zones. Loads of people got killed there (including me) by someone with an automatic weapon (not sure if MG or LMG) over quite a distance - usually unable to see where the killing shot game from. Again this easily gives the impression that someone has a fairly big advantage making it easy to call him a cheater.

Upvote 0
You are absolutely SILLY if you think PB and all of the hack detection crews CAN'T detect these hacks... Hacks aren't super rampant in this game and never will be because its not COD or Battlefield.. Sure there are some, but they will be gone once those big name games come out because then there will be MILLIONS of people to bother with their hacks.

You're also silly to think that PB and VAC and all of them don't buy these cheats themselves to see all the cvars etc that these hacks use, they put out a new detection method that detects them, these idiots who bought hacks then get caught and subsequently banned. Haven't you seen the PBBANS thread? Within the first week there were already like 10 hackers caught and put up on the steaming ban list, meaning any server that uses the PB streaming bans list will auto have these hackers banned on their servers even if they never played on their server... Tripwire is VERY SERIOUS about keeping hackers out of this game and I have yet to run into one.

I think you just need practice, i've been in RO since it was a MOD in ut2k4, I'm still owning face.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem killing people so much as the being killed under what are frequently highly suspicious circumstances, a couple of which I've already mentioned.

As for comparing a hack to a virus, that's a nonsense in my opinion. A virus is relatively short and can be written in countlessly unique ways considering the countlessly unique ways it can be targeted. A hack is a long and complex piece of code and has to be written within a very narrow and specific set of tolerances (how many different ways can an aimbot be coded?!). If PB was properly monitoring a client PC why wouldn't/couldn't it detect a hack as soon as one familiar piece of code within it was run? Does anyone believe that an entire hack can be written from scratch without using one single line of code from a previous one?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. My gut and experience tells me there are a shed-load of undetected hackers on a good number of the servers and that they will remain undetected. Yes, PB catches a handful but its bang-for-buck ratio (how much the client and server have to put up with in overhead for the number of cheats it catches etc) is crap.

I'm going to go with the solution advised by a good few people in this thread and ignore the K/D ratio from now on. It's a good point, those who concentrate on it do so to the detriment of all else and become a liability for their team (certain classes excepted of course).

Upvote 0
Honestly I hope TWI never ever... NEVER EVER...NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :IS2:

..Drop the price on RO 2.

Seriously steam sales on multiplayer fps games is the number 1 cause of cheaters.

TWI if you read this, I love you and respect you like a cute girlfriend, but please do never.. NEVER EVER drop the price on RO 2.

NEVER EVEEEEEEEEEEER:IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2:

Reactions: 5thSSDW.KGW~CO
Upvote 0
I'm bad, or have been, when I've been concentrating on my K/D. Otherwise I'm nicely above average and frequently in the top five on the board. But I die a lot in those cases. Just have to accept the cake cannot be had and eaten too. :D

I dont know where this "cheaters everywhere" comes from then, in my 40 hours of this game ive seen ONE cheater on the offical TWI server that got banned some days later... the community is rather small and cheaters arent as frequent as in css/cod people just exaggerate

Postitioning and map knowledge is everything in this game, if you get a good spot with one of the semi auto rifles you can completly demolish the other team.. sometimes i made like 30 kills only from one window till i had no more ammo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I enjoy hackers.

In my CS:S days, playing players using aimbots was something I did for fun, because although they had lightning reflex, speed, and dead-on aim, a person could still kill them. It was extremely hard sometimes depending on the hack but it's all the same.

By playing people running hacks, I found that I ended up aiming quicker, faster, and more accurately too. Then i'd join another server with regular players and :cool:

Yeah, spawning at the CT area and dying after around half a second when a speedhack+aimbot hacker just ran up to us and killed us all really improved my reflexes. Sometimes I actually managed to see him before I died! I also learned how to curse better, thank you hackers! :)

Upvote 0
Honestly I hope TWI never ever... NEVER EVER...NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :IS2:

..Drop the price on RO 2.

Seriously steam sales on multiplayer fps games is the number 1 cause of cheaters.

TWI if you read this, I love you and respect you like a cute girlfriend, but please do never.. NEVER EVER drop the price on RO 2.

NEVER EVEEEEEEEEEEER:IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2:
In the future RO2 will be $19.99 muhahahahahaha :IS2:

Upvote 0
If a hacking program is running somewhere on the clients' computer, then pb can detect that.

Not sure where your research was done, but it's full of holes.

There are methods of detection, both active and passive, that combat cheating/hacking. Don't be so defeatist...

met 5-6 hackers the last 2 weeks all of em ruined the game i was in since they didnt even aim their assualt rifles and just made loads of headshots

Upvote 0
Such cheats can easily be detected(ex/ the python based external hack in mw2 and blops).

Please PM me a link to these cheats and I'll make sure that we are properly detecting them.

Fwiw, there haven't been many suspected cheaters in RO2 so far. When I checked earlier this week (I'm currently out of town), only 43 users had been reported. Of those 43, only 8 have >1 report. So either there aren't many suspected cheaters or people aren't using the report feature enough. Please be sure to report suspected cheaters - thanks!

Upvote 0
If you listened carefully at the interview with TWI in germany, admins can set the range of honor level they want in their server, for example if you want proper players you would set it to 60-80 honor levels, thus hackers with one honor level can't join those ranked servers.

When this game is polished and fixed anyway.

Upvote 0
Yeah, spawning at the CT area and dying after around half a second when a speedhack+aimbot hacker just ran up to us and killed us all really improved my reflexes. Sometimes I actually managed to see him before I died! I also learned how to curse better, thank you hackers! :)

Mock me all you want, but it actually did prove useful for improving reflexes, aim, and my ability to keep calm in video games.
I kindof actually owe hackers a lot of credit for improving my FPS gaming skills. It's something i've put up with through the years from Doom to Quake to Half-Life et al and every other FPS game ever to exist.
Never thought for once that those hackers were actually ruining my game, there's other servers to play on once I was done facing off with them.

Upvote 0
And even if they got detected their will be new ones that wont be detected for some time old news been like that since fps gaming began and will be forever but honstly who cares.
If you encouncer a cheater you can either votekick him what will happen when hes cheating or you use well admined server or...you just leave theres no point in raging against them thats what some of them want to happen.
Just ignore them and have fun with your game

Or don't ignore him just talk bad too them. I discovered one last night and I call him every name in the book. I even started on his mom it was allot of fun actually. Of course he used his wall wall hack to kill me constantly. But I was have so much fun drinking beer and ragging on the guy that I totally forgot to fraps it.

Fight fire with fire.

Reactions: 5thSSDW.KGW~CO
Upvote 0
Hitting moving targets is not that hard unless you are using a Rifle an they are moving sideways on your screen. Any other time its easy. I think your being a bit paranoid. If you think your safe just cause your sprinting but your actually running straight towards some Rifleman in the distance. He is going drop you no hack needed. An even if your running sideways a deployed machine gunner has no trouble dropping you either unless he sucks.

Now I am not saying there might not be hacks or whether or not they are detectable. Just that people who believe every person that kills them is hacking are almost as annoying as the hackers themselves. This game takes every effort possible to prevent cheating between VAC an PB with its streaming bans. So that's all you can ask for.

The game is such a lagfest that consistently hitting moving targets is a joke. There IS a gameplay impact for everyone always having triple digit ping all the time, you know. Even tank MGs get screwed on moving targets unless you put up a wall of bullets that they run into, otherwise good friggin luck hitting that sprinting AT gunner. Better to just shoot him with an HE shell if you have the angle.

Upvote 0