• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

I don't really see why some people seem to be expecting BF3 as pc-exclusive hardcore game. That thought is really unrealistic I think. But at least they should be working on it now already. I suppose one small team is working on PC-bf43, one small team on bfbc2 support/dlc, then maybe mirrors edge 2? though probably not, maybe one secret project, moh mp & bf3

Upvote 0
A chief operating officer from EA told over a year ago that Dice has been working on Battlefield 3 and a public beta might come this summer:

"I've had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden and was highly impressed by the way the team is working on that product. Of course, that's not in [this] fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good." Pleasants said during the conference.

We have also gotten information from a tipster that Battlefield 3 will be similar to Battlefield 2 and will support up to 40 players per team. There will also be 24 different vehicles that you can choose from and 17 different weapons. Like Battlefield 2, the game will also feature unlockable equipment.

So when will Battlefield 3 be released? The time isn't known but EA says not this year. We also heard that it would be the holiday season in 2010, however like with many of the other Battlefield installments we'll probably get an early one map beta that can be played free a few months before. We're speculating that we'll see a Battlefield 3 Beta download in the Summer of 2010. However, nobody knows for sure.
http://techfragments.com/news/881/Gaming/EA_Battlefield_3_Confirmed_-_Beta_Download_On_Way.html[url]http://techfragments.com/news/881/Gaming/EA_Battlefield_3_Confirmed_-_Beta_Download_On_Way.html[/URL]

EA has told it's a PC exclusive. I wouldn't be very surprised if they changed their mind, though.

Upvote 0
Knowing that BF3 is in development, and that it will stay close to BF2....makes me very glad I didn't get sidetracked by Bad Company 2.

And I'll never really understand why people like Mirror's Edge so much. Great visuals, clean graphics, neat idea.....but the gameplay was soooooo repetitive.

1. Run.
2. Jump.
3. Climb.
4. Avoid enemy.
5. Repeat.

We got three levels into it before we just looked at each other and put the controller down. Part of that was the frustration of trying to make a jump that looked doable but wasn't....but still. Did we miss something amazing way later in game? I don't think we could have ground through the same kind of levels for long trying to find it.

Upvote 0
Knowing that BF3 is in development, and that it will stay close to BF2....makes me very glad I didn't get sidetracked by Bad Company 2.

Even though its not as grand a scale as BF2, BC2 is does lots of things right that all other BF games failed at (most importantly nonfloaty movement and better weapon handling). If all BF3 is is BC2 with bigger maps, triple the amount of players, and better graphics I'd be extremely happy. If its that and a more realistic approach to the story/theme/visuals I'll get a massive bonewah.

But considering BF3 probably won't be coming out anytime too soon, you might be better off getting sidetracked for a bit. One of the best games since Ost even with its flaws.

EDIT: Also if its true that BF3 is a PC exclusive thats really quite huge. Have there really been any major PC exclusives released in the past 5 years not made by Valve? And if it stays exclusive that almost guarantees mod support and hopefully no consolized bull**** to deal with. Moreso than other games I think this has a better chance of staying exclusive due to their already being a BF series (Bad Company) marketed more towards console. Can't wait to see what BF3 looks like and can't wait to boot up a major PC exclusive that doesn't suck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Umm are you kinda like supposed to not have ammo boxes/healthpacks/defib. from the beginning? Because somehow I did, yet I'm also kinda unlocking them again(shows so at the class progress thing)

Pretty sure that's the battlefield veteran program at work. If you're using the same account that was used on any 2 other battlefield games, then you have a veteran level of 1, which gives you a few "unlocks" before others.

Upvote 0
/pessimist hat on

I won't believe it's a PC exclusive until they do the first real press push. After the sales on both MW2 and BC2 for consoles....they must be thinking about that decision very hard. They aren't going to make more money doing that, they're going to make less, even if PC users love them dearly for that decision. They must want to do something really special, and/or unique, to commit to a PC only development. I expect the money men at EA to protest that decision loudly, and to probably win.

/pessimist hat off

If it's true though....praise medic jebus.

Upvote 0
/pessimist hat on

I won't believe it's a PC exclusive until they do the first real press push. After the sales on both MW2 and BC2 for consoles....they must be thinking about that decision very hard. They aren't going to make more money doing that, they're going to make less, even if PC users love them dearly for that decision. They must want to do something really special, and/or unique, to commit to a PC only development. I expect the money men at EA to protest that decision loudly, and to probably win.

/pessimist hat off

If it's true though....praise medic jebus.

yeah agreed 100%. i was actually expecting BF3 to be some sort of fpsmmo for it to be pc exclusive yet theres no hints toward anything like that so far.

i'm actually surprised there's a BF3 at all to be honest. with a possible close release date to BC2 which apparently has a similar theme, its kind of peculiar. It's going to have to stand out with at least one great new feature. If it really is just a better done BF2 it better have a huge player limit and even better graphics than BC2 to warrant a purchase from people who bought BC2.

Upvote 0
Weapon stats from stats-o-matic:

weapons-1.png

Clearly shows what's wrong right now.

Upvote 0
I DLed speedfan and it says ->

System 44C
CPU 66C
AUX 119C
Temp 1 -48C
Temp 2 -48C
Temp 3 0C
Core 0 83C
Core 1 81C
Core 2 79C

Something tells me that's too hot isn't it? (This is after playing PVKII)

CoreTemp says 71-79C

*edit* NVM lol, just checked the cpu fan and there was a 3mm layer of dust over it lol, cleaned it and not its back to 40

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm actually surprised there's a BF3 at all to be honest. with a possible close release date to BC2 which apparently has a similar theme, its kind of peculiar.
I thought so at first too but....well, baseless speculation incoming.

1. EA has this huge infrastructure for supporting older BF games. It's got its own profit model, and by the numbers, still generating cash. Maybe not a lot, but I easily see 30 servers (with full ones hidden) whenever we play BF2.

2. EA hasn't kept apace of the recent developments in online systems. IWNet, Bnet 2.0, ect.... EA needs to make up some lost ground on that front.

3. 1 + 2 = The migration of their infrastructure to a new BF title, with a redesign of the whole system to be more like what other current gen FPS devs are offering.

4. MAG was a serious slap in the face to BF, from where I stand. It does what BF does now, only bigger, it took many of its elements like the commander and squads, and even the factions, and just did them all better. I think EA might have been thinking about totally re-branding BF in CoD's image.....but MAG showed them people do still want to play full on, large-scale tactical FPS...instead of just very pretty frag-fests.

All those things taken together make me think that someone at EA pushed hard for another shot at the classic BF series. CoD also set the standard that you can have the same FPS franchise done multiple ways and players will still recognize each game for what it is. (Halo is another example of this.)

It's going to have to stand out with at least one great new feature. If it really is just a better done BF2 it better have a huge player limit and even better graphics than BC2 to warrant a purchase from people who bought BC2.
40 player battles, is the current word. Smaller than BF2 by a long shot, but, with the increase in graphics (and the other refinements, terrain destruction ect...) you have to lose somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0