• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bandaging and Health Regen

Seriously? You guys can figure out how to suck points away from me if I shoot one of my idiot teammates who decides to stand in front of my deployed LMG, but can't figure out how to penalize suicide more when injured so you decided to go with health regen?

I'm not exactly buying that... I suspect it was one of many business decisions to make the game more appealing to a larger market and not a technical issue.
have you tried to change class mid life or suicide? it takes points.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0
We've experimented with permanent crippling effects in the past, during the MOD days. The problem we encountered was that people who got injured simply suicided and re-spawned rather then playing on with the damage effects.

Such a shame really, I would rather have that system and some serious suicide penalties, such as double the respawn time than having the bandage system right now.
Because it's just insane what you can shrug off without any penalties.

Get shot in the lungs? No problem bandage it
Get shot in the hip? No problem bandage it
Get shot in the stomach? No problem bandage it

Bandages are ok to stop bleeding of the arms and legs, hands and feet. But internal organs seem a bit silly to me.

Upvote 0
I agree bandage is forgiving trick for fast paced type newbies

So quote Alois Himmel

I think that a hybrid between the old system (from RO1) and the system would be the best option. I believe that foot/leg wounds should slow the characters down, and that hand/forearm shots should cause the players to drop their weapon in hand. I also think that the wounds should bleed and should have to be bandaged to stop bleeding.

+1

quote Icey pain

Bandages are ok to stop bleeding of the arms and legs, hands and feet. But internal organs seem a bit silly to me.

+1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Such a shame really, I would rather have that system and some serious suicide penalties, such as double the respawn time than having the bandage system right now.
Because it's just insane what you can shrug off without any penalties.

Get shot in the lungs? No problem bandage it
Get shot in the hip? No problem bandage it
Get shot in the stomach? No problem bandage it

Or my favorite, the groin.

"Hey dudes I'm just going to bandage my mutilated testicles back on and I'll do the 100 meters sprint to take over that heavily defended position with you guys again!"

And like you said, internal organ damage is just way too funny. Sometimes when I get shot up, my character information picture looks like someone was playing surgeon on me with few major organs highlighted.

Can we have all body shots to be lethal please? Bandaging limbs is good enough imo.

Upvote 0
Hmm, again the realism nuts going wild. :) You can't bandage this and that. Yep sure the question is whether it makes sense game-play wise or not. From what I get and I am not sure about it's quite different from regenerating health as it's an active ability and it only stops you from dying and does not give you health back. I am not sure about the last part, but it would make a big difference.

Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0
We've experimented with permanent crippling effects in the past, during the MOD days. The problem we encountered was that people who got injured simply suicided and re-spawned rather then playing on with the damage effects. We introduced a crippling effect that vanished over time after that fiasco (regeneration effect). Basically bleed-out and bandaging is a variant on this theme.

So no, currently, due to experience, permanent damage systems are not in infantry combat, only in tanks. That is probably why we have a repair system for tanks as well. My best guess would be that if we would have a permanent damage system for infantry, we would be 1 small step away from health packs for infantry as well to prevent people from just commiting suicide.

Just my 2 cts.

permenent damage is more realistic. And the only thing to do to apply it properly to the game is : The no respawn (only 1 life / round).
More intense, more realist

Upvote 0
Seriously? You guys can figure out how to suck points away from me if I shoot one of my idiot teammates who decides to stand in front of my deployed LMG, but can't figure out how to penalize suicide more when injured so you decided to go with health regen?

I'm not exactly buying that... I suspect it was one of many business decisions to make the game more appealing to a larger market and not a technical issue.

People committed suicide and took the point penalty in the MOD rather then playing on. I think I mentioned that.
That's not a technical issue. That is players not wanting to play with gimped soldiers. Which makes it a gameplay decision. Making the penalty -10 points or -100 points isn't going to make the feature more fun.

Also, TK penalties is a feature that can be adjusted by server admins.

We don't have health regeneration for infantry. Bandaging does not give you health back. I think I mentioned that too already.

Upvote 0
Um... its 2 on the server I play on.
W/e, my question still stands. What matters is if the current ninja bandage is any good and worthy of RO or is just another accessibility feature that serves the same purpose as health regen in other games.

I never suggested perma penalties, and I did know that RO2 bandages dont (or RO1 overall) restore health if u read OP carefully, they do however have almost the same impact on gameplay as health regen.
Trying to make ninja bandages "look" good by going for the extremes such as perma crippling and/or pulling my posts out of context about "limited" bandages is cheap. :p

Upvote 0
W/e, my question still stands. What matters is if the current ninja bandage is any good and worthy of RO or is just another accessibility feature that serves the same purpose as health regen in other games.

I never suggested perma penalties, and I did know that RO2 bandages dont (or RO1 overall) restore health if u read OP carefully, they do however have almost the same impact on gameplay as health regen.
Trying to make ninja bandages "look" good by going for the extremes such as perma crippling and/or pulling my posts out of context about "limited" bandages is cheap. :p

i let you know reasons why bandaging is a good feature in a post also.

Upvote 0
People committed suicide and took the point penalty in the MOD rather then playing on. I think I mentioned that.
That's not a technical issue. That is players not wanting to play with gimped soldiers. Which makes it a gameplay decision. Making the penalty -10 points or -100 points isn't going to make the feature more fun.

Also, TK penalties is a feature that can be adjusted by server admins.

We don't have health regeneration for infantry. Bandaging does not give you health back. I think I mentioned that too already.
What about temporary crippling like in ROOST? Getting shot in the leg could slow you down for a few seconds.

Upvote 0
What about temporary crippling like in ROOST? Getting shot in the leg could slow you down for a few seconds.

what do you think bandaging does? you have to stop and bandage, which slows you down to a stop, making you an even easier target to hit. Depending on the severity of the wound, you could bleed out before you make it to cover and bandage in safety.

Ive had it happen many times, i hit someone as they cross a gap, and think i didnt finish them, only to find out they died 10 seconds later because they failed to bandage in time, and no im not talking about the 5 second kill message delay.

Upvote 0
the things is that u bleed out and bandage to fast.
For example the other day i was running around with my ppsh41 i fired a burst at a german only to find out that the burst was the last i had in the mag i instantly started reloading the enemy was hit by my burst but did not see me.
directly after he was hit he Bandaged himself he looked around he saw me 10m away and brought up his pistol and shot me and all that in a shorter time then it took me to reload.
Bandaging is close to instant as it is now its more like a quick time event then anything else.
Most of the time u dont even have to take cover as it takes so short time to do.
i would suggest making it take longer to do something like 4-5 sec or more so u have to take cover before u do it.
Or so u can take the Opportunity to move/charge while he is busy Bandaging himself.

Upvote 0

No an active (push a button) mechanic to stop you from dying from a otherwise lethal wound is not the same as getting back to starting health by just sitting around.

Upvote 0