• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BA-64 should not be as tippy

SingeDebile

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
YES i know it has a almost scary heigh of CG because of its armour etc...

However! the wheels are much too grippy, maybe this would be accurate if you had a BA-64 on a modern pavement race track (which would be fun too) BUT on dirt and grass you should be slidding more and before tipping... thats why they used skinny tires on old cars, because they were "designed" to be able to slide, the roads were never good enough to count on the superior static friction that wide tires are good at.

So basically i dont know if its a limit of the engine that we cant have cars slide around like rally cars (though no where near as extreme.... the BA-64 would still be capable of tipping just not nearly as easily... it would slide first... and maybe if the slide was too much it would start to tip) but as it stands this is not realistic.

So if its a limit of the engine, make them more stable but have a slower acceleration or some other balencing. If not this should change.

on a side note im tired of my tank slidding slowly when i park on an angle above 15 degree's, this shouldnt be happening

(again dont get me wrong i love this game, that is why i am taking the time to say these things)

The BA-64 shouldn't be tipping over but not because it doesn't slide. It should not be able to achieve the speeds it does cross country. A heavy wheeled vehicle just can not achieve the speeds it gets in this game. On nice roads yes. That is where wheels are better then tracks. Across country wheels are not very good. That is why the Germans and Americans added wheels to their scout cars to increase the cross country capabilities. So if Tripwire would slow down the cross country speed in the BA-64 it would not tip as much. A much needed change for realism and to take away the very gamey tactic of those things runnin' circles around tanks.

Upvote 0
TKP said:
The BA-64 shouldn't be tipping over but not because it doesn't slide. It should not be able to achieve the speeds it does cross country. A heavy wheeled vehicle just can not achieve the speeds it gets in this game. On nice roads yes. That is where wheels are better then tracks. Across country wheels are not very good. That is why the Germans and Americans added wheels to their scout cars to increase the cross country capabilities. So if Tripwire would slow down the cross country speed in the BA-64 it would not tip as much. A much needed change for realism and to take away the very gamey tactic of those things runnin' circles around tanks.

According to wikipedia (I know...not the universal authority) the top road speed of the BA-64 was about 80km/h (~50mph). Of course it _should_ be much slower cross country...but why? Because driving at top speed off road makes it very uncomfortable and unstable, possibly rolling over. :rolleyes: You don't feel the craziness of 50mph off road sitting at your desk. Drive it like it's off road and stop flooring it constantly and it'll stop rolling over.

Upvote 0
Case said:
According to wikipedia (I know...not the universal authority) the top road speed of the BA-64 was about 80km/h (~50mph). Of course it _should_ be much slower cross country...but why? Because driving at top speed off road makes it very uncomfortable and unstable, possibly rolling over. :rolleyes: You don't feel the craziness of 50mph off road sitting at your desk. Drive it like it's off road and stop flooring it constantly and it'll stop rolling over.

Actually if you look at the top speed of it in game (about 45km/hr) its been significantly recudeced! this is about 30mph which is not that fast.... it shouldnt be that tippy at 30mph.

ie: when you slow it down enough to actually turn more then 2degrees you are slowing down to about 15 mph!!!!!! now CMON you could make a fairly sharp turn no matter how top heavy the BA-64 really is

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Driving on full speed on cross country should disallow you from starting the armored car up again because the bumpy ride caused your car battery to die. In order to get your car working, you have to run back to spawn, stand in line, redeem your rebate, then take the battery back to the site of your car, and swap the batteries. Did I mention, that in Soviet Russia, we have no money and line stands in you?

Upvote 0
Colt .45 killer said:
im completely in favor of making the tanks NOT move when they are stopped an noone is in the drivers position. mainely because the tracks would be in the stop or braked position, and theres no way the tank would just "slide"

Actually, a tank on a slope could slide as the ground gives way underneath it. This whole thread really shouldn't exist, some ground doesn't make a stable firing platform, either deal with the slipping or find better ground. Same with the tipping BA-64s, a car with its top heaviness will tip if you turn hard over at top speed. Also, it isn't guaranteed to slip as the ground might be soft and the wheels dig in. Learn how to drive and stop asking for the game to be dumbed down.

Upvote 0
The BA-64 was the design basis for the Suzuki Samurai. True story! :D

Anyway, I think it's the whole "coming around the corner on two wheels, blasting the machinegun in random directions" but that leads us to refer to these things as clown cars. I mean, honestly, it's like something out of looney toons. All we need is a horn that plays "Dixie" and we're all set.

Upvote 0