• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ARVN or no? Need confirmation

I'm pretty sure we would. But what weapons are you thinking of for the ARVN??

I've been tossing the idea around, from what I've been told the only thing that has been changed is the shaders. Polycounts, and texture sizes are the same. In other words, to me it looks like a strict import/export. Shouldn't be rocket science. Provided nothing like the animation system or anything like that has changed.
A lot of basic stuff. This is just for the ARVN off the top of my head of stuff already importable.
Springfield
Garand
Thompson
Carbine
These are just American weapons for the ARVN, from what I've read just about every Russian weapon in ro2 was used by the communists, and Viet Cong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
alot of ww2 us stuff

alot of ww2 us stuff

2A47CFBDA18E94F7C1AFA6DE6EF93E53F31615D9

arvn in the early 60s

i was thinking the
M1903A1 Springfield
M1903A4 Springfield
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Browning Automatic Rifle
Browning M1917
Browning M1919A6
Mk 2 Hand Grenade
AN/M8 Smoke Grenade
Colt M1911A1 i think its in rs2
M1928A1 Thompson or Winchester Model 1912 "Trench Gun" or a maybe as ive seen no evidence of them in the hands of the arvn but the Chinese did give the North Vietnamese Thompson smg Springfield and more stuff that was captured from the Republic of China during the Chinese Civil War and n.v. had giving to the Vietcong. Moders will need to make a m1a1 Thompson tho as its not in rs but i think the Heroes of The West mod team are thinking of doing a m1a1 Thompson so hope we see the 20 and 30 magazine too.
South Vietnamese had this type of kit until the late 60s and then was giving modern weapons like the m16,m60 and more but some units still had ww2 weapons at the end of the war.

i almost forget the m3 grease gun but thats in rs2 and not rs ;)

alot of this information is from Men-at-Arms Army of the Republic of Vietnam 1954-75 by Gordon L. Rottman.

Upvote 0
Not really. I'm already pretty much an expert at muddling with different factions, the hardest part will be the models and textures.

The main ARVN can just be the US body + Vietnamese head, the Rangers can be the USMC Hero uniforms from RS1 as a placeholder.

So you're an expert, thats good, I'll be waiting for more news then:)

Upvote 0
Lol 1 week? Seems you are waiting for a miracle.

Well, work can be done without the release of RS2 because the most time-expensive work, the modeling and the research can be done beforehand. The actual coding can be done in a week with the help of someone who already did that, e.g. the Heroes Of The West Team. Or am I so wrong?

I mean.. the first version of the mod not an fully fleshed out community made expansion. HoE launched way to late in RO2's lifecycle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, work can be done without the release of RS2 because the most time-expensive work, the modeling and the research can be done beforehand. The actual coding can be done in a week with the help of someone who already did that, e.g. the Heroes Of The West Team. Or am I so wrong?

I mean.. the first version of the mod not an fully fleshed out community made expansion. HoE launched way to late in RO2's lifecycle.

I mean, a full week, would be possible, if you did it purely by work hours, in other words, 30 or so hours in a week, provided that the models, textures, and all of that stuff is ready to be imported. Though this would be pushing it for people. I think I might barely be able to pull something like that off in 30 hours, it all depends for me (or anyone) on how it is implemented.
This would be a purely model replacement of characters, and basic structures of the weapons, FX, sounds, etc.
Nothing like a tank or vehicle, or say a new feature. Not voices, or say a new map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Creating a new faction (or swapping factions) is really easy if you know the basics of UE3 modmaking.

It all boils down to editing the TeamInfo (recon planes/music), a couple changes to PlayerController (voices), making new Pawns (models), and the UI/HUD icons.

That's it. Like I said the code aspect is really simple, it's the art that's so time consuming.

Upvote 0
Obviously there are things I can't mention that's a given, but the OP asked why there was a South Vietnamese flag visible if the ARVN haven't been confirmed, so I did answer, along with some backstory (in case anyone was interested in the historical context), that it is just a small detail in the map.

You guys have definitely done your research. I applaud that, and would like to thank you for taking the time to do it, not just saying "Welp, there's probably maybe a SV flag there."

Upvote 0
if we have south vietnam force in game . think Tripwire should focus on vietnamization era : NVA vs ARVN

operation Lam Son 719

summer 1972 :

1st battle of quangtri . 2nd battle of quangtri , retake quangtri citadel , defense in xuan loc

in that time ARVN have same weapon as US force . so no need add too much old era weapon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if we have south vietnam force in game . think Tripwire should focus on vietnamization era : NVA vs ARVN

operation Lam Son 719

summer 1972 :

1st battle of quangtri . 2nd battle of quangtri , retake quangtri citadel , defense in xuan loc

in that time ARVN have same weapon as US force . so no need add too much old era weapon

Yeah I was thinking the same. Although I doubt they'll be in release, modders should do that time period during the early 70s. Xuan Loc would be a great battle to add

Upvote 0
Yeah I was thinking the same. Although I doubt they'll be in release, modders should do that time period during the early 70s. Xuan Loc would be a great battle to add
actually the battle of quangtri , dong ha , quangtri's old citadel in summer 1972 are the most heavy and brutal battle of vietnam war . weapons used , manpower , vehicles , casualties of both side = ****ing huge

1st battle = NVA offensive with massive troops , tank , arty , heavy weapons

2nd battle = ARVN counter attack with massive troops , tank , arty ,heavy weapon , helicopter , attack aircraft + us naval arty , us airforce bombing support

the fight to retake quang tri old citadel = the most brutal close combat battle (include hand to hand combat with bayonet , knife , shovel ) in vietnam war

i know some vietnamese vet from both side join that battle . thay all said :meat grinder for both side

life casualties : huge , alot of tank , APC burn , alot of helicopter shot down (NVA got stela-2 heatseeker MANPADS in that time)

Upvote 0
actually the battle of quangtri , dong ha , quangtri's old citadel in summer 1972 are the most heavy and brutal battle of vietnam war . weapons used , manpower , vehicles , casualties of both side = ****ing huge

1st battle = NVA offensive with massive troops , tank , arty , heavy weapons

2nd battle = ARVN counter attack with massive troops , tank , arty ,heavy weapon , helicopter , attack aircraft + us naval arty , us airforce bombing support

the fight to retake quang tri old citadel = the most brutal close combat battle (include hand to hand combat with bayonet , knife , shovel ) in vietnam war

i know some vietnamese vet from both side join that battle . thay all said :meat grinder for both side

life casualties : huge , alot of tank , APC burn , alot of helicopter shot down (NVA got stela-2 heatseeker MANPADS in that time)

Honestly, if the ARVN were ever put into the game officially, all these battles would have been great to add. I think that it's up to the modding community at this point however.

Upvote 0