• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone else hoping for maps that aren't so "clean"

Pa++on

Jul 27, 2008
Obviously all maps are in various states of destruction, but when I heard the game was centered on Stalingrad, and using the gritty, hopelessness of it as a theme, I was expecting battlefields that seemed like fighting through the rubble. Red October Factory is the one that truly seems to take place in a location that has seen fighting for many months, and Sprantovka is alright in that regard. Pavlov's House comes close, but the park is so flat, same with Commisar's House, and the buildings provide plenty of cover. Apartments, Grain Elevator, Station, Barracks all have way too much cover.

I miss maps from RO that forced you to army crawl or crouch run around just to use that small ridge for cover. I like maps where standing up is pure suicide, rather than a good idea because then you can run to cover sooner.

tl;dr, less cover on maps, more slight elevation changes, would rather crawl and crouch my way around than sprint from cover to cover.

EDIT: Forgot about FallenFighters. That's another good example of what I'd like more of.

Last edited:
Now when you say that, are you referencing the intention of developers/modders to make maps like that? Because if so I'm gonna feel that much better.

They're definitely coming. Look back at Darkest Hour. The original RO1 had a lot of close CQC city maps in vanilla. Some of the best maps came out of mods and modders. Big, open, sprawling maps that really took full advantage of RO1's mechanics. It's coming for RO2, too. Never you fear. This series has a reputation for stuff like this, and it's not going to let us down.

Upvote 0
The game came shipped with set piece assaults on famous landmarks, probably to hammer in the authentic WWII theme. Being able to fight in the Grain elevator was kind of a selling point.

From here on the game can develop into just about any variation on the Stalingrad theme, be it the fighting on the outskirts or platoons stumbling into eachother in some forgotten ruined housing area in the inner city.

Upvote 0