• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti kiting suggestion.

Although sometimes Kiting is necessary, for instance...

Scroll down for TL;DR version.

Suicidal DarktunnelsV2
You find yourself as the only one alive, and as a beserker at that!(lol irony)
You're in the cramped tunnels and you have a FP in the front a Scrake behind him and 3 sirens behind them.

You have a Katana, two clips of pistol ammo, and 0 grenades left. Your best bet would be to haul *** till the FP gets pissed and chases you. Once that happens you take care of him. Shortly after the scrake would catch up to you and offer himself as a free point. Now you're left with 3 sirens. You could use your pistol to take care of them, but generally the risk free option is to lure them around a corner and pick em off in melee range one by one.

If ZEDS were to enrage, well shi- idk the thought of Kenyan Sirens running around would keep me up at night. I however could see Scrakes enraging early, which could make them easily more deadly than the fleshpound.

However having them respawn would just be more of an annoyance rather than a solution.

Having free thought AI would be something interesting, rather than having zeds just take the easiest route to you. They could choose to take the scenic route, even if it would mean taking twice as long to get to you.

For instance...

Manor:
When a Group of survivors hold out near the bottom of stairs at the cave entrance to the boiler room, the brunt of ZEDs spawn outside and funnel down the stairs. The only ZEDs that will attack them from behind are those that spawn in the boiler room. Now if you have someone like me who will generally watch back for them in the boiler room, then you wont have ZEDs spawn in the boiler room. This forces ZEDs to have to spawn in the stairs leading down from the manor down to the boiler room, and the stalkers and crawlers to spawn from outside the hole.

As long someone remains in that storage type room in the boiler room/basement area, then they eliminate 4 potential back spawns, leaving only 2 Potential spawns and a maximum of 10-12 ZEDs that can attack you at once.

But what if ZEDs from Outside decided to head around back? The person watching back could easily be overrun and forced to abandon his position.

An example of "Freethought" AI stems back to Half-Life FOX bots where based on percentages they chose to follow one of any available path scripts. If they couldn't reach their goal following "path A" they would take "path B". A death while follow path A would either decrease or increase the percentage of the chance that Path A would be selected again.(Depending on how it was set up on the server)

I'm not saying make all ZED's FOXbots, I'm just saying allowing various options or paths for zeds to take.

TL;DR: More horror, less survival. Oh yea, and some freethought AI for the ZED's

P.S. Spawns are not random.

Upvote 0
I just kill myself or let myself die when I'm the last guy alive with upwards of 100 specimens to take out, it's not that I can't do it, it's just really boring kiting them.

I would very much like the system the OP proposed to be in some way implemented. It'd need to be distance based spawns though, having a Fleshpound respawn around a corner would just suck.

Upvote 0
I disagree.

This could be simply my diabolical preference to beat the **** out of the specimen (and thus, I always carry extra melee weapon), but using melee weapon for 90% of the time and only shooting enemies that actually needs it (namely three enemies) can often spell the diffrence how it ends up. It sure takes time, but not insta-loss.
Yup only way to win really - unfortunately you cant count on the other 5 guys

when you're playing with a team of noobs that all run around as individuals, yeah they die early leaving you, the one experienced player to kite, kill off the last 80, then give them the money that you earned in hopes of them lasting longer next wave :D

the game is fine the way it is right now. you have to be very good to pull off killing 80+ by yourself after the team has died.....only a small minority can do it, so let them. the update to the scrakes and fleshies has made it much harder to pull off imo.
I totally agree - to changing the fp/ scrakes - and your correct in your description of that situation - I find myself in that spot on random pub games

I can regularly kill 80+. So can MANY others, especially on Normal. But the fact is...after perhaps the first time, it gets BORING.
So try it on hard or suicide its a completely different game

I just kill myself or let myself die when I'm the last guy alive with upwards of 100 specimens to take out, it's not that I can't do it, it's just really boring kiting them.

I would very much like the system the OP proposed to be in some way implemented. It'd need to be distance based spawns though, having a Fleshpound respawn around a corner would just suck.
hahaha lol I guess thats one way to solve it!

I do like the ideas floating around so far the one I agree with the most is changing the FP's and scrakes.

Upvote 0

IMO, if everyoen died except one person with 100+ Specimens left, you've already lost. Especially on Hard and up where one person simply won't have enough ammo to take them all down (Except Berserkers and, occasionally, Supports!).

Before the anti-kiting patch was released it was quite normal for this (100+ specs) to happen on servers that I frequent, but even after the patch it still is not impossible to do, even on later waves. Because of how they set up the rage conditions for the fp, it he doesn't have line of sight then he does not rage. One time (after the fp rage update) the last 6 enemies in wave 9 (hard mode, west london) included 3 fps and kited them by using corners to break the L.O.S. I support implementing the types of counter measures outlined in this thread.

Upvote 0
I have done over 300 on rounds with fps and scrakes by myself while on the phone on hard so you need a better argument. Suicidal still no problem only last round when 2 fp's spawn at once, but still doable to drop +200 mobs with a medic in open maps. Kiting is just part of the game when everything fails.

IMO, if everyoen died except one person with 100+ Specimens left, you've already lost. Especially on Hard and up where one person simply won't have enough ammo to take them all down (Except Berserkers and, occasionally, Supports!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to unload on you, but divide it by the number of other people on these fora who find it necessary to try to force every single KF player in the entire world to do things their way. That's not hyperbole. Every non-optional game change affects everyone who has bought the game.
When TWI bent over for the previous "kiting sucks" group it affected my poor widdle self. It's not like ADDING a beautiful katana or a wonderful AK-47. Every individual has the right to choose whether they want to use these weapons or not. I personally liked trying to take down a FP with no armor and a knife. I can't do this anymore. You never had to kite. I call this a win-lose. If TWI chooses to put enough people into the lose column by bowing to dog-wagging tails they lose customers. They lose enough customers and you lose the ability to benefit from TWI's ability to provide free DLC. Has anyone ever computed #posters/total#players * 100? I'd guess that it's << 10%. You have to use #posters vs #registered since many people just lurk.

Not every one likes genocidal difficulty. On average, your average player is average. Or... normal. In general it's the "superior" players post on the fora (I can think of at least one exception to that generalization) and in general are not the general kind of players. There are 100s of legitimate ways to make a game harder for yourself. None, besides beginner and widdle baby sand box mode, to make it easier. And while the l33ts may not like it, the norms make up the bulk of the buyers of the game (RU Normal ?) and TWI is more than happy to cash normal l33t-l3ss ch3cks.

Why do people who don't like something feel the need to force everybody to do things their way?
You don't like it:
0) don't do it.
1) go elsewhere
2) don't do it.

You are more than welcome to do things your way, but so are others. Why the need to take it away from them?

Other possible solutions to YOUR problem:
Make a mutator that kills everyone on the server when some one kites. This would encourage the the rest of the players to stone the heretic.
Start your own server. Kick any and all kiters.
Go one better and form a Steam group who share your way of thinking. Only bless servers that reject kiting. You could call it the McCarthy group. Q1 for admission: "Are you now or have you ever been a kiter?" People being investigated for current or previous kiting behavior could be called Manchurian Candidates. This way only you and people who think like you are affected by your personal preferences.
There's a group whose raison d'etre is teamwork. I like that. But I don't want to force everyone to play that way.
I run a server with a small amount of FF on, and that encourages team play. I, with great glee, TK jerks (my server, my definition of what a jerk is), a-holes, d-bags and "unrepentant serial tkers," then kick/ban 'em. Every one makes misteaks, but it's easy to tell d-bags from the others. I've given ~5-10 other people who have succumbed to my brain-washing techniques admin rights so they can de-d-bag as needed. I've never even thought of requiring every other person who plays kf to do this... but come to think of it, it would make it easier to find MY kind of server when mine's full (yeah, I'm too much of a pussy to kick people to make room for me to play)

Let's see if we can't come up with some situations that you might hate being forced to deal with, shall we?
0) Anti-Anti-Kiting suggestion. Specimens don't take damage unless they are being kited. Any damage done to non-kiting specimens is reflected back 10x to the shooter. Or to the whole team. Yea stoning.
1) Anti-armor suggestion.
2) Shouldn't the heal gun inject poison 1/2 the time? Oh, the suspense. Oh, the drama.
3) Let's force 200% FF on all the time. 400% on Tuesdays.
4) How can we prevent people from using anything but their toenails to fight until the Patriarch round?
5) Weapons are too cheap. Let's multiply all prices by 100 so the entire team needs to pitch in for one machete.
6) Abolish all classes and force everyone to use just the luscious katana and wonderful ak47.

Just a thought. Take it or take it.

Ok, or leave it.

Upvote 0
I have done over 300 on rounds with fps and scrakes by myself while on the phone on hard so you need a better argument. Suicidal still no problem only last round when 2 fp's spawn at once, but still doable to drop +200 mobs with a medic in open maps. Kiting is just part of the game when everything fails.
Wow! I am, like, totally, like in awe of you. Like totally. Wow. I... I'm at a loss for words and if you look at my other post here, you will find that really, really, really hard to believe.
And I do, too.
Please, please, please! Post a demo and a video of you on the phone doing this. It would just like be like soooo totally rad. I could, like, totally photoshop my head over yours and like totally get every biatch in the world to, like, worship me.

Wow, awesomely waiting for the awesomest, best most coolest demo/vid evar. Wow... It should be easy for you to get one up by tomorrow.
And I could learn soooo much. And by posting it here, we can ALL get, like, totally bettar.

Wow. Cool. Cooler than cool! Like totally zeroK, man.
Till tomorrow, then.

Too awed to even type my name.

Upvote 0