• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another question, are you guys making a new game?

The original point I was attempting to make was that tanks in RO are not able to drive through a wooden fence or knock down a tree, that they were unrealistic in that sense.

This can work easily in a SP game but not so easy in a MP game!.

If you knock down a tree this tree must be knocked down for ALL players so an info about the status of the tree should be sent to all players.

Maybe in the future when *every* player will have at home an min 100MBps Inet connection and the CPU's will have ~ 5x the power of todays CPU's (so wait another 5 years) it willl be possible to have full destructive enviroment in an online MULTIPLAYER game. :)

Upvote 0
I remember a tank map from the mod, its name escapes me. But it had destroyable buildings. On a full server, with buildings intact the pings were barely playable. But at the start of the map if you took your tank over there and shot the buildings the pings would drop dramatically.

Fact is phyics barely works in MP situation, the source engine does it half arsed, and certainly not to a level when everyone can use it properly.
It's going to take a much stronger engine, and significant improvements in netcode, player bandwidth and processing power.

Upvote 0
This can work easily in a SP game but not so easy in a MP game!.

If you knock down a tree this tree must be knocked down for ALL players so an info about the status of the tree should be sent to all players.

Maybe in the future when *every* player will have at home an min 100MBps Inet connection and the CPU's will have ~ 5x the power of todays CPU's (so wait another 5 years) it willl be possible to have full destructive enviroment in an online MULTIPLAYER game. :)

The problem isn't the net traffic, because there is no significant more traffic. Even now every client gets messages about player and vehicle movements and bulltes fired. The problem is the physics and so the CPU-performance. Not only because computers are slow, but because the engine doesn't support this.

Upvote 0
I remember a tank map from the mod, its name escapes me. But it had destroyable buildings. On a full server, with buildings intact the pings were barely playable. But at the start of the map if you took your tank over there and shot the buildings the pings would drop dramatically.

Fact is phyics barely works in MP situation, the source engine does it half arsed, and certainly not to a level when everyone can use it properly.
It's going to take a much stronger engine, and significant improvements in netcode, player bandwidth and processing power.

That was a cool map the first tank map in RO. I loved to hide in the plowed up houses :)

Upvote 0