• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An idea for producing variability in stock maps, with TWI's help.

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
A simple idea, really. Would you, Tripwire, be willing to offer custom mappers un-cooked, clean (meaning no spawns, objectives or boundaries) versions of the stock maps for the purpose of creating "new" versions of these well-worn favorites? There could be all manner of contracts, agreements and handshakes or whatever else you want to come up with.

Mappers would have the benefit of starting with a very well-crafted map while having the freedom to add their own spin. How about a night version of Pavlov's or Apartments? Or a version of Commisar's House where the Germans begin by attacking the Apotheke, driving the Soviets back to the Red House? I'm sure anyone who has messed with the SDK already has a boatload of their own ideas in this regard. I think the community (and most importantly, SERVERS) could really get behind this. Just think about what this could mean for Campaign mode.

Just a simple idea. Do you guys think you could make it happen?

In my limited experience, you can't alter or otherwise change a map that has been cooked. You can cut-and-paste objects from one map into another but that creates as many problems as it solves as, among other things, many of the material references are broken and you have to go back and replace any materials that got lost along the way. Another problem with cutting and pasting is that quite often it will crash the editor. You also get other errors with cross-package references that again, leads to the editor crashing.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
On a somewhat different note, it's really frustrating to see a lot of vegetation meshes without a billboard-style LOD, even though TWI/RST made plenty of billboard textures, and then because the packages are all cooked you can't even put them in yourself. It makes optimizing large maps nearly impossible if you want to use even a moderate amount of foliage.

Upvote 0