• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alan Wilson talks Killing Floor, Red Orchestra and Rising Storm

To me that map highlights the issues with long range shooting in RO2. Too much zoom, not enough difficulty in the shots and it all ends up creating an atmosphere were people don't want to move forward. It doesn't help that victory in RO2 feels anti climactic. I just don't feel any sense of accomplishment in RO2, or like I actually care which side wins

Upvote 0
People don't care about that though, they just want to sit and snipe because the map allows for it. Its just a big arena with sniping areas either end

If you choose to play it that way sure. And of course it "should" be a "sniping arena" if you want a realistic game. If you run across open ground without smoke you should get shot. There's plenty of cover though and it's usually no problem getting where you want if you don't mind *not* going there in a straight line.

I also don't get how people could vote this the worst map. You can flank and sneak, at least to some degree. I guess it shows the mentality that's most prevalent in the community these days.

Anyways, this is all pretty off topic.

Upvote 0
This is false. It's important to keep C, it's important that squad leader smoke and mark for artillery. It's important that assault cover tunnels. It's a "strategic map".

What rant people like you ask to this game. But you hate this map, mmmm...

But I love the map and I can tell you people already do what you are stating. It isn't rocket science and good teams (pubbers or not) are going to do just that.

This doesn't change the way RO2's gameplay effects people's perceptions on maps. Every map is a "strategic map".

From my understanding you just want to use these attributes to justify what you like and don't like. Well, other people have this right to like and dislike elements as well. People chose to dislike it then hey, but don't say people are playing it wrong because your a fan of the current gameplay.

Upvote 0
Arma 2: OA / Red Orchestra 2: weapon sway and breath control - YouTube

In this forum Arma 2 is always called the "tactical shooter", what Ro2 isn't for people that love only to rant.

Well, in this video there is a CLEAR comparison between Arma2 e Red Orchestra2. Same weapon.

In Arma2, THE REALISTIC TACTICAL SHOOTER, there is double zoom. Ooooooh, just like Red Orchestra2. Sway is not depend from breathing. Sway is less than Red Orchestra2, THE IMPURE tactical shooter.

Thank you Tripwire to go in your direction.

As far as I can remember, you can't headshot an mger who's firing at you in less than a second.
They have no lasers ..... etc

And same weapon? :confused::confused:

Upvote 0
But its a shame he doesn't really quite see where critics are coming from with RO2. People want RO to move forward, but they simply don't like the way some things are implemented in RO2. Its not that everything has to be moved back to RO1, in fact from my perspective people weren't really talking about a classic mode before Yoshiro mentioned it.

The thing is, people would rather have RO1 with better graphics than RO2 in its current form. That wasn't what people were asking for originally though, they wanted RO2 with tweaks/overhauls of game mechanics that didn't work that well
I think RO2 is in great shape, and I'll be thrilled when the new content comes out and player counts rise.

I think RO2 DOES need some tweaks, like the beta's increased bullet whizz/crack and larger player suppression volumes.

I also think that the maps should pander to long range combat a little more, to encourage plenty of rifleman players.

TLDL: Those things and less automatic weapons would also be welcome, but from a few white-listed mutators and core tweaks to RO2 by the amazing TWI. I think classic mode is unnecessary, and there are loads of arguments for zoom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think RO2 is in great shape, and I'll be thrilled when the new content comes out and player counts rise.

I think RO2 DOES need some tweaks, like the beta's increased bullet whizz/crack and larger player suppression volumes.

I also think that the maps should pander to long range combat a little more, to encourage plenty of rifleman players.

TLDL: Those things and less automatic weapons would also be welcome, but from a few white-listed mutators and core tweaks to RO2 by the amazing TWI. I think classic mode is unnecessary, and there are loads of arguments for zoom.
Look at the active playerbase graph.
It's great that you like RO2, but many others disagree and vote with their feet.

Upvote 0

I agree..... and I might add if the incessant negativity eased off, (Tripwire is well aware of what needs to be done) many new users wouldn't be discouraged.

Upvote 0
In some ways an interview that shows how flawed RO2 was from the beginning because Mr Wilson seemed to want a Call of Duty Clone.

How on earth can someone be arrogant enough to spout the classic versions not what he wanted when the few people left playing this game are people who have been waiting for classic since launch day. TBF we would have accepted RO2 as it was if it wasnt so broken and flawed but hey it want.This Tripwire moved from being an indie to working out it doesnt matter once you sold it.

I presume now a games judged a success by units shifted in the first week.. Has this guy looked how many are left playing his version!!

I'll be watching reviews before parting with money for either RO2 DLC or KF2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ro2 being compared with arma 2, im facepalming, seriously.... what is it with you people... this isnt a roleplay/simulator, dont go overboard, that wont get you players and it wont make the game better.

ro1 had the right blend of arcade and realism it was extremely fun

p.s apartments and fallen fighters both suck, that new map is great

Upvote 0
ro2 being compared with arma 2, im facepalming, seriously.... what is it with you people... this isnt a roleplay/simulator, dont go overboard, that wont get you players and it wont make the game better.

ro1 had the right blend of arcade and realism it was extremely fun

p.s apartments and fallen fighters both suck, that new map is great

Hmm. I've not heard Arma 2 referred to as a roleplaying game before...

And those are pretty good maps you just dismissed... I wonder if you ever played their predecessors..

Upvote 0
I'm think it's you who are going overboard with your view of arma 2...

arma 2 now is dead it has less players then ro2 when i went on and i got it on a steam sale, you would think the population would spike but i couldnt find 1 full server in prime and i had all the addon packs, the game is a roleplay game, its a miltary simulator. its the most realistic game out there for roleplaying your a actual soldier in a battlefield.

i personally wouldnt mind how arma is but the game is set up in a way that you cannot fight each other quickly, i mean my experience of arma 2 is to travel for a ridiculous about of time (15-45 minutes) to kill bots (which was awful and just stood on the spot) or a few players and all my friends brought it on steam sale and had the same experience, i mean thats why the game has no players in my opinion, its a war game where you cant even wage war. i look forward to arma3 but it needs to change so people will actually play the thing, the majority of the few servers that are left on arma 2 are bot servers if not are empty, ro2 is in a similiar situation.

i mean how dead arma 2 is, how unhealthy ro2's population is and its just a joke you have people are calling for ro2 to copy arma 2?!!??! *facepalm* i mean i seen posts and comments about it before, its just laughable, thats not what ro1 was, i mean how far is this going to go....

i mean alot of people are upset that theres a really low player base on ro2, alot are upset at the gameplay changes from 1 to 2, not what they signed up for, my self included.

the fact is ro2 isnt in a healthy situation theres a few hundred players on a good day, these realism fanboys are just going to shout and scream red orchestra into a grave. the game has to be fun but hardcore like ro1 was but some people want it to become the next arma, when it does me personally ill take my money else where because thats not what ro1 was.

Hmm. I've not heard Arma 2 referred to as a roleplaying game before...

And those are pretty good maps you just dismissed... I wonder if you ever played their predecessors..

apartments is like the smallest map in RO history and is aimed at COD players who want to be funneled/have tight battles

fallen fighters just ends up either your laying down in the middle getting no where because you cant advance because you will insta die so the majority of the team sits by the spawns ranging each other and not trying, or the russians get spawned camped and cant advance and lose. i mean on fallen fighters i sat in a window in russian mainbase right next to the spawn as a heavy machine gunner and got top of the board just ranging people across the battlefield even killing people in seconds as they come out of the german main base.

you might as well have a totally flat field in the middle with a long building on each side and anyone who advances dies. well the map isnt far of that...

Last edited:
Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0