• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Airship Objectives

Bluntman420

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2015
Los Angeles
I like the Airship map itself. It is a nice and challenging map. I had previously said that I felt "the objective mode was done well". After some playthroughs, it is really actually fairly underwhelming. The objectives are stale and the map doesn't force you to do them, meaning you can just kill most of the wave and weld the breaker box or whatever the objective is. It doesn't feel very rewarding. I wish the objectives asked for a little more from the player and team.

Now, I do get that there is no actual mode and it's just played on survival. Do we know of a return of the actual mode or will it stay on survival? Any other thoughts on the Airship objectives?

I like the objectives, myself.

I personally never liked KFO because it forced me to do things I didn't really want to. My logic is that if I want to spend a half an hour retrieving objects for some guy, I go play an rpg instead. I know a lot of people liked KFO, but I feel like this style of objective maps is a good compromise - especially since KF2 has a much more casual fanbase than the first game. There are objectives there that can be done if cared about, otherwise there's still zeds (and EDARS) to kill.

I do think that the "stand your ground" portion could be better though - we already have that on all the other maps. It doesn't ruin the experience or anything, but something a little more unique like the welding or water objectives would be welcome indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
imnrk;n2320302 said:
I like the objectives, myself.

I personally never liked KFO because it forced me to do things I didn't really want to. My logic is that if I want to spend a half an hour retrieving objects for some guy, I go play an rpg instead. I know a lot of people liked KFO, but I feel like this style of objective maps is a good compromise - especially since KF2 has a much more casual fanbase than the first game. There are objectives there that can be done if cared about, otherwise there's still zeds (and EDARS) to kill.

I do think that the "stand your ground" portion could be better though - we already have that on all the other maps. It doesn't ruin the experience or anything, but something a little more unique like the welding or water objectives would be welcome indeed.

I definitely understand your view. I liked KFO so that is also influencing my opinion. I enjoyed needing to get a certain amount of bloats into a vat of acid, etc. I feel the game could do a little more with the objectives while keeping casual players and people who didn't like KFO content :).

Stand your ground just isn't worth the trouble for a measly 5k vault dosh IMO.

Other than that, I like the Airship map. Another added note: I LOVE Lockdown. Such a great addition.

Upvote 0
Bluntman420;n2320230 said:
The objectives are stale and the map doesn't force you to do them, meaning you can just kill most of the wave and weld the breaker box or whatever the objective is. It doesn't feel very rewarding. I wish the objectives asked for a little more from the player and team.

I was pretty stoked when I saw them label Airship with an "objective mode". But after playing it, the objectives are incredibly underwhelming.
I wouldn't want them to be forced in Survival game mode but they definitely could require more team effort. Like instead of welding the breaker boxes, you could have them start at 100% weld integrity, with zeds targeting them like players and you gotta defend/keep them welded. Once they all go to 0%, the objective is failed.
And add a time limit to complete the objective on the bottom floor mid ship, with the lever (forcing you to do it in the middle of the wave, instead of at the end after you've killed everything save one or two zeds).
They could also have a "Protect the VIP", where an AI needs to travel from point A to point B and you need to defend/keep them healed up to make it safely. That's an objective I'd both love to play and watch fail when I have a team that is uninterested in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluntman420
Upvote 0
KF1 objectives were fun, because they were not optional. For most of them, stronger enemies kept going again and again, until we accomplish the objectives or die.
That created a lot of tension, and doing the objectives as fast as we can was rewarding.

I think KF2 deserve an true Objective mode, instead of "doing optional objectives in Survival mode".

Upvote 0