• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

After a long hiatus...

Well congratulations for being a father! One of my "soon to be done" tasks, I assume. Give me a couple of months though.

With the lack of content and DayZ's arrival today, xmas coming and me being on a trip, I am sure Ro 2 will run in the breaks once in a while from february on. Nothing much has changed since April. But campaign is a blast.

It probably isn't right to "toot my own horn," but there is quite a bit of stuff in the works, including In Country Vietnam: http://www.incountrymod.com/ the incoming vehicles: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=83586 and least of all my own stuff:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92324

fear not, content is coming ;)

Oh I almost forgot, congratulations :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know dibbler67. Your work is much appreciated. After having supported this franchise and custom mappers for 2 years, I simply became tired of spending so much time on downloading new maps just to play on servers with 10 players because the majority of players cannot be ar*sed to download stuff.

In the end they won and I am waiting for stuff to become official or wide spread. A shame, I know, but that's how it is.

Upvote 0
Sensemann I can understand your disillusionment with RO2. So much potential but not much deliverable to main stream players like us.

So annoying you are on the other side of the planet and cant get to the Aussie / NZ server with a good ping.

We host custom maps but still need to be cautious with them because the player base out here in Australia is fickle and wont hang around for downloads.

Keep an eye out of Dibbler's mutator when it eventually gets released. I love it just for the new sounds but there is a lot more to it that is worth considering.

And not to hijack the thread with my conversation with Sensemann, Sulman, congrats on your incoming. You have been blessed with a new form of brown artillery ! Get yourself into RS mate. Steam friend me and i will gift you a copy.

Upvote 0
Get yourself into RS mate. Steam friend me and i will gift you a copy.

Very kind of you mate, but I've already got it! I'm sure I'll dive in at some point, I'm sure. I wanted to have a few rounds on the HOS maps to get back into it but actually it's a bit like riding a bike, in that I am still absolutely hopeless on Red October :D

Upvote 0
Sensemann I can understand your disillusionment with RO2. So much potential but not much deliverable to main stream players like us.

So annoying you are on the other side of the planet and cant get to the Aussie / NZ server with a good ping.

Keep an eye out of Dibbler's mutator when it eventually gets released. I love it just for the new sounds but there is a lot more to it that is worth considering.

I know that I am sounding like a negative nancy, but I am sure you know me well enough. I still see the potential RO 2 has and it is just renewed by stuff like dibbler's mutator and awesome custom maps.
But then, reality kicks in and my experience with RO 2's progress so far just tells me that any kind of implementation of new stuff will take time as in tiiiiiiiiiiiiime.

Having to download custom maps again and again because of updated versions is nothing I complain about. I am complaining about the laziness of most players who don't do this at all, or in such a limited volume that servers with custom maps end up going from 64/64 to 11/64 or worse.

Add to that TWI's questionable support of the game and you know where I am at. With questionable support, I mean, communication between TWI and players has constantly decreased over the months. Once been known for quick feedback and support, a generally great interaction between TWI and players, there is deafening silence and a "candy feeding of info to keep players interested" which goes "Talk the talk". But where is the "walk the walk"?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the RS mapping contest overdue for a couple of weeks, if not even months?

In the meantime, many games have released that I initially wanted to play "besides" RO 2, which turn out to be better or that have the potential of being better than expected and that's where I am investing time on.

In the end, I am not complaining about being cheated, as I have had my fair share of fun with RO 2, but it's simply this sour feeling in the stomache that's left behind when you constantly think of "What could've been".

Upvote 0
We've been very vocal about being in the final stages of judging the RS mapping contest (and running events in the Official Game Group) to do so. We also continue to inform the players on what we are working towards next.

We also believe that expansion pack style updates for the Red Orchestra community will work best, rather than smaller micro transaction DLC that we use with Killing Floor to support updates to that game. We know that doesn't make everybody happy, but it is the best way to keep support going for the franchise.

Upvote 0
We also believe that expansion pack style updates for the Red Orchestra community will work best, rather than smaller micro transaction DLC that we use with Killing Floor to support updates to that game. We know that doesn't make everybody happy, but it is the best way to keep support going for the franchise.

I agree. With the current state of video-game development everything takes longer. This means there will be much more overhead and the only way to make big content updates is with paid DLC. It's a "necessary evil," if you can consider a business trying to make money "evil".

Upvote 0
I've had around 10hrs in game since coming back, and I've noticed some small changes. Including the maps as official content seems to be the way to go - maps like Cold Steel and Rakowice are now in regular rotation, they were rare when custom only.

I only played Apartments once, which is a pleasant change - a few months back I'd resign myself to having to play through that at least once or twice a gaming session.

People don't like change, even when it's positive, but they deal with it. As long as they have a choice though, they'll stick with what they know.

Upvote 0
Ha! I doubt I will be. When Steam was rolled out to Linux clients I started dabbling in some casual 'traditional' mainstream FPS titles i've had licenses for but never bothered with, like Counterstrike Source and DOD Source, as well as TF2 and L4D2 - basically everything that was released for Linux.

This made me realise that RO2 is actually something special and as much as I've criticised it in comparison to Ostfront/DH , on its own terms I think it's every bit as good, so I'm not going anywhere.

Upvote 0
DOD source still makes me mad. The original mod was so fun and had so much content that was inexplicably cut and never added into the source version. In fact, the source version of both cs and dod both suffered by dumbing down what made them good. CSGO got all of its mojo back and then some from 1.6, but day of defeat is just left there to rot. No new content or even re adding the content that was there in the first place from the original mod.

Upvote 0
DOD source still makes me mad. The original mod was so fun and had so much content that was inexplicably cut and never added into the source version. In fact, the source version of both cs and dod both suffered by dumbing down what made them good. CSGO got all of its mojo back and then some from 1.6, but day of defeat is just left there to rot. No new content or even re adding the content that was there in the first place from the original mod.

I actually found it bloody hard. I don't know whether it's just a very established player base, but even CS:S casual servers were relatively easy compared compared to DOD:S. I had the feeling it had a pretty steep skill curve which I just couldn't be arsed to get into.

I liked the original pre-retail. It was good fun and (I think) the first game like that I tried.

Upvote 0