• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advertisements

Pvt.Skoko

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Canada
Will we see Ro2 television commercials??

I've spoken with other gamer friends at school and most of them say that COD or others will most likely blow RO away because of lack of advertisement. Obviously I boost about RO all the time, but its hard to back it up when there is no hard evidence. I took a couple people into the library the other day and showed them most of the new info and the trailer. There mouths were all watering and I was just wondering if tripwire will replicate this situation on a large scale in order to get the word out.

Reactions: Stormer
Will we see Ro2 television commercials??

I've spoken with other gamer friends at school and most of them say that COD or others will most likely blow RO away because of lack of advertisement. Obviously I boost about RO all the time, but its hard to back it up when there is no hard evidence. I took a couple people into the library the other day and showed them most of the new info and the trailer. There mouths were all watering and I was just wondering if tripwire will replicate this situation on a large scale in order to get the word out.
I really really wouldn't worry about it. RO1 had very little promotion because they were on a super tight budget. This time they're going all out and I think it's safe to say they'll hit all the major outlets when the time comes.

The game wont' release until early next year, and with all the hype about fall games right now, it would be a waste to start the hype machine just yet. My guess is they'll wait until after fall or Christmas and really start hitting the web hard with advertisements.

This is a AAA game (according to TWI) and thus it demands a AAA marketing campaign. Hell, already Heroes of Stalingrad is pretty well known around the internet. All the PAX stuff (and Gametrailers) has really helped, and that's really hardly anything at all. Right now they just want to give info in spurts, saving it up for the right moment.

Upvote 0
One morning there was nothing on so I flicked to G4TV and I don't remember what show was on, but they showed the trailer for Heroes of Stalingrad. I think Tripwire is starting to get their name out there more, and with the impressions they gave at PAX I think they'll sell quite a bit. A commercial? Maybe not.
G4TV ran the trailer? I wish they would let us know when they are going to feature the game - we could actually drive up their traffic!

Anyway - TV commercials: no, just ridiculously expensive. We just don't have that sort of money.

We will run slightly less expensive advertizing, though!

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: at G4. It's great that they're taking interest in the game, but if they give it a good review, it will only show how terrible their review process is, given their terrible review for RO:OST, which at its core is the same game (right?). Seriously, it got 2/5 stars basically because the game was too hard for the reviewer.

Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
I honestly don't think Red Orchestra 2 will be THAT popular on the levels of COD or Halo, I think alot of the people who play those games, no
offense to them, will get their :IS2: kicked in this game.

However due to the popularity of COD and BF etc there will be an offshoot of people are are tired of those kinds of games and will move to RO2.

Upvote 0
Oh, I thought this was about in-game advertising in RO2.

It would be rather awkard to see the big M on a Panzer and Ronald McDonald in the frames of in-game rooms instead of both dictators.

Hey, why do you think the :IS2: was the greatest tank? Arby's sponsored it! That way, every time a soldier thought of Arby's, an :IS2: would come rolling out to boost morale, feed starving soldiers, and leave smoldering craters where opposition used to be.

Upvote 0
I know right.. if RO2 had some advertising, it could only be bigger once the release is made.
I'm putting some adverts on some forums from my country (belgium)
Till now..not really much of people showed some interest :( Anyhow, once I have the game, I'm going to make some gameplay videos to post on a few belgian sites I know, I hope the interest for the game will increase because it's a very unknown game in here.
But you don't need commercials on TV for expanding the knowledge about any game.. long live the internet.
RO is meant for a smaller type(group) of gamers because the gameplay is very different with any other FPS.
If the RO fans can bring up some forums, images, videos and advert it on the right way, I guess more people will know about it & want to try it out soon or later.
But the "gameworld" has been growing freaking big the last few years, many people are interested in new games, etc.
Many people are even registrated on gametrailers! I guess that this game won't be that unknown after a few months anymore. ;) But RO2 will never beat Call of Duty, those bastards found a way to entertain every n00b gamer plus they are existing a longer time by now. Call of Duty was already a big hit with the first one. (remember cod1/frontlines?)
Battlefield & Call of Duty are the big stacks on the table and the gameplay is much easier and faster, and most of the gamers prefer such of gamestypes.
Also..those games don't really have a good community (exept BF2 & CoD2), as long RO2 will get the same tight, fun & cool community as we have right now in Ostfront & Darkest Hour..I guess we're good. :)
Plus, starting to make a hype right now would be a bad idea. Most of the people are waiting on; (let me get my magazine) - battlefield bad company 2: vietnam,call of duty: black ops,fear 3,fallout new vegas and medal of honor.
RO:HoS will release around the same time as Crysis 2 does, but between one game or 3 - 5 big shots is a big difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In terms of advertising, all we have to do is tell a few of our friends about HOS. If the game is anything like it looks in the trailers then the game will sell itself. I was able to get 5 of my friends to buy RO and they still play today. When I explain the game this time I will just send a few links to my reenacting buddies.

If Tripwire does advertise I would suggest maybe putting an advertisement in WWII Magazine. You would reach an older audience that would pay for the game.

Cheers....

Upvote 0
G4TV ran the trailer? I wish they would let us know when they are going to feature the game - we could actually drive up their traffic!

Anyway - TV commercials: no, just ridiculously expensive. We just don't have that sort of money.

We will run slightly less expensive advertizing, though!

Here's a question: You host adverts for other people in the KF multiplayer ready menu (and I like that, you get paid for it and it gives the players something to watch while they're waiting! :D ) but will you do the same for HOS? :IS2:

Upvote 0
Another problem with TV advertisement is, you can't highlight a lot of the features that make ROHOS stand out in a 30 second spot.

How can you show bullet drop / flight time, authenticity in weapons, single rifleshot kills, etc?

Sure, fully modeled tank interiors would rock along with the scope system, but besides them, the eye candy doesn't stand that much over the competition. You can't really convey the gameplay in a short ad.

Hence tbe success of word of mouth with ROOST.

Upvote 0
Another problem with TV advertisement is, you can't highlight a lot of the features that make ROHOS stand out in a 30 second spot.

How can you show bullet drop / flight time, authenticity in weapons, single rifleshot kills, etc?

Sure, fully modeled tank interiors would rock along with the scope system, but besides them, the eye candy doesn't stand that much over the competition. You can't really convey the gameplay in a short ad.

Hence tbe success of word of mouth with ROOST.

True, most of the generic shooters "look" real, the thing is Red Orchestra "feels" real.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: at G4. It's great that they're taking interest in the game, but if they give it a good review, it will only show how terrible their review process is, given their terrible review for RO:OST, which at its core is the same game (right?). Seriously, it got 2/5 stars basically because the game was too hard for the reviewer.

I remember that review. The guy playing was hipshooting with a sniper rifle against bots with SMG's.

Upvote 0